UHD Blu-ray Disc in BDXL Drive Test Request - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 139Likes

post #61 of 687 Old 02-13-2016, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
No because the drive does not even recognize the disc.
oh, wow that sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 687 Old 02-14-2016, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post
My interest is the burning of UHD BR using edited video from a Sony AX 100 4K camera.

I use Cyberlink Power Director 14 for editing and store the edited material on a HD or as a 264 or 265 file on a 25Gb BR disc.

My hope is to see PD 15 being capable of doing this, namely creating UHD BR discs, that are recognized by the Samsung or other UHD players. My hope is that this can be done using 25 GB discs, similar idea to AVCHD using 4.7 GB DVD blanks yet storing HD videos.

Any thoughts?

Eugene
You should have no problem getting discs to be recognized by the player, but there isn't any consumer production software that lines up with the format yet. If you keep the output of your editing as a file, it will be playable so long as that file is within the specs of the onboard video decoder and software installed on the player. That being said, you will have to look at the specs for whatever player you buy to see if it handles the format that you use. The Samsung UHD-BD player will play MKVs, MP4s, and TS files that use HEVC. I can't say anything more than that as I have neither the equipment nor any files to do any testing.
post #63 of 687 Old 02-14-2016, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Try a partition scanning tool like DMDE to access the disc. It can usually read anything that Windows can't.

post #64 of 687 Old 02-14-2016, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think I may buy a disc in two weeks just to see if it will be recognized on my Linux system.
post #65 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
UHD Disc The Martian

I have an LG WH16NS40 that was manufactured in October of 2015. I was able to get The Martian UHD disc to show up and be recognized as a disc in Windows and in Power DVD 15, both showed that the disc was "The Martian". When I tried to play it though, power dvd gave me an error that the disc was corrupted. I am hopeful that what is needed is an update to power dvd to be able to play the title.
post #66 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougindy View Post
I have an LG WH16NS40 that was manufactured in October of 2015. I was able to get The Martian UHD disc to show up and be recognized as a disc in Windows and in Power DVD 15, both showed that the disc was "The Martian". When I tried to play it though, power dvd gave me an error that the disc was corrupted. I am hopeful that what is needed is an update to power dvd to be able to play the title.
Can you at least browse the content of the disc on Windows Explorer?
post #67 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Wonder if WinDVD can do the same? I assume PowerDVD and can update to the latest AA keys like WinDVD does...
post #68 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 10:19 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3400 Post(s)
Liked: 2655
Quote:
Welcome to AVSForum.

This is the first report I've seen of a computer being able to mount a UHD disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterXDTV View Post
Can you at least browse the content of the disc on Windows Explorer?
Yes, need to know.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #69 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Awesome news! Were you able to browse the disc contents in Windows Explorer?
post #70 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
What's your OS ?
And the same here, can you look at the files on the disc ?
Go into Windows and right click on the drive and select "Open".
You should see "AACS" at the top of the list.
post #71 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd be interested to know the firmware revision on that drive. The last firmware update - 1.02 - was almost two years ago and if you're running a newer firmware from the factory, that means there is a good chance of firmware updates bringing compatibility to the drives.

Use the information here and let us know what you find....
zmarty likes this.
post #72 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Agreed. It'll be interesting to see if this drive is running a newer firmware. I have a BH16NS40 (Manufactured April 2014 with firmware version 1.03), and I picked up a UHD BD copy of Kingsman yesterday and was unable to get my drive to recognize the disc. I've read that the WH16NS40 and the BH16NS40 can be cross flashed, but I'm not certain about that. If the firmware does turn out to be newer it should be possible to use flasher (can be found on Github) to extract it.
post #73 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

At this point, I'm pretty optimistic that we'll get firmware updates to enable UHD-BD. There's just no technical reason for it not to work unless they've made some drastic changes to the security measures on the hardware side that aren't clear in the documentation and it's definitely not in anyone's financial interest to ask consumers to purchase new drives when there's a large user base with LG BD-XL drives and such drives can be had for decent prices by anyone who doesn't already have one. Since LG is the only known licensee for Ultra HD BD-ROM drives for the PC, I suspect the only real difference between any such drives they sell in the near future and what is already available/installed is simply the drive firmware that governs the security/multi-layer functions required for UHD-BD playback and the fact that such "newer" drives will have the appropriate logos that designate UHD-BD compatibility AND the required playback software from Cyberlink or sMedio. I'm not sure what Sony is doing in regards to PC BD playback software, but they are a licensee for developing it, even though they have never released such software to my knowledge. As their VAIO PC division was sold off to a Japanese company, it may simply be tied to their development of in-house authoring software for the format and not a sign of them actually throwing their hat in the ring, especially since they are hesitant to release a UHD-BD hardware player of their own until the sales of UHD-BD titles reflect that the format has taken hold.
post #74 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 01:45 PM

Well, I'm not interested in 4K at all but my Blu-ray drive is getting old (LG BH10LS30) and at this point I would like to upgrade to a BDXL Drive that is UHD compatible (reading at least) This thread will be very important in the next few weeks
post #75 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 03:50 PM

The Martian

I can confirm that I am able to browse the contents of the disc using windows explorer (win 8.1 pro). The disc contains 4 main folders labeled AACS, BDMV, CERTIFICATE, and DFEX.

Inside the BDMV folder are the following: 8 Folders- AUXDATA, BACKUP, BDJO, CLIPINF, JAR, META, PLAYLIST, STREAM, and 2 files, index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv
In the STREAM folder are 81 M2TS files, the largest of which is 00011.m2ts which is 45.4GB in size. When i try to play the 00011.m2ts file in power dvd 15 i get the error message: "CyberLink PowerDVD does not support the playback of this media format."
Windows does not report any statistics about this video file including data rate, etc.

Given that I can browse the disc structure I am very hopeful that an update to PowerDVD will enable disc playback.
If anyone has anything they would like me to try, let me know.
post #76 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 03:59 PM

The Martian

I bought the drive bare from Amazon last week. On the drive is a sticker identifying it as version 1.0 manufacture date October 2015. One odd thing I found is that when I went to the LG website it says that the newest firmware for this model is version 1.02-a0. The labeling on the drive seemed to indicate to me that it was running firmware 1.00. I tried to run the update to 1.02-a0 and the update failed saying "checksum is mismatched drive will go to boot mode". I have read speculation online that even though the model number is unchanged, that this drive actually contains different hardware than what was being manufactured with the same model number prior to October 2015. Perhaps LG made a hardware change to accomodate UHD Blu Ray with this model at that time? Google searches really don't turn up much info about this topic unfortunately. I also can't seem to find anything from Cyberlink on when or if they will release an update or upgrade for UHD Blu Ray Playback. I know that they were part of the UHD Blu Ray group so I'm assuming they intend to release a product to play them.
zmarty likes this.
post #77 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Very good news. Hopefully being able to rip out UHD discs to Plex isn't far off. Although I don't know if Plex can pass HDR metadata. The sooner I can get back off using discs the better. Seems so quant using my actual discs again.
post #78 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I bought the drive bare from Amazon last week. On the drive is a sticker identifying it as version 1.0 manufacture date October 2015. One odd thing I found is that when I went to the LG website it says that the newest firmware for this model is version 1.02-a0. The labeling on the drive seemed to indicate to me that it was running firmware 1.00. I tried to run the update to 1.02-a0 and the update failed saying "checksum is mismatched drive will go to boot mode". I have read speculation online that even though the model number is unchanged, that this drive actually contains different hardware than what was being manufactured with the same model number prior to October 2015. Perhaps LG made a hardware change to accomodate UHD Blu Ray with this model at that time? Google searches really don't turn up much info about this topic unfortunately. I also can't seem to find anything from Cyberlink on when or if they will release an update or upgrade for UHD Blu Ray Playback. I know that they were part of the UHD Blu Ray group so I'm assuming they intend to release a product to play them.
Wait you are talking about this model I think: LG BH16NS55

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B017...f_rd_i=desktop

It's a new revision of the LG WH16NS40 (Released October 2015)

So it's a different drive...
post #79 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 04:13 PM

The Martian

As requested... drive info from windows:
Drive is descibed as HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40
Nero reports the drive as CD-R/RW, DVD R/RW, DVD DL, DVD-RAM, BD-R/RE, BD DL, BDXL
Firmware revision 1.00
I suspect this is firmware revision 1.00 of a new hardware version that began to be manufactured in October 2015.
aaronwt, carageuw and zmarty like this.
post #80 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 04:20 PM

It is possible that what I was sent was actually the drive you mentioned internally, but it is labeled and sold as the WH16NS40 and that is what windows recognizes it as.
The amazon item i ordered is B00E7B08MS
post #81 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
It is possible that what I was sent was actually the drive you mentioned internally, but it is labeled and sold as the WH16NS40 and that is what windows recognizes it as.
The amazon item i ordered is B00E7B08MS
OK, I think I got it: The model I posted in only available in Europe... In the US they revised the WH16NS40 without changing the name!

So you've got the LG BH16NS55 labeled as LG WH16NS40!
post #82 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
I can confirm that I am able to browse the contents of the disc using windows explorer (win 8.1 pro). The disc contains 4 main folders labeled AACS, BDMV, CERTIFICATE, and DFEX.

Inside the BDMV folder are the following: 8 Folders- AUXDATA, BACKUP, BDJO, CLIPINF, JAR, META, PLAYLIST, STREAM, and 2 files, index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv
In the STREAM folder are 81 M2TS files, the largest of which is 00011.m2ts which is 45.4GB in size. When i try to play the 00011.m2ts file in power dvd 15 i get the error message: "CyberLink PowerDVD does not support the playback of this media format."
Windows does not report any statistics about this video file including data rate, etc.

Given that I can browse the disc structure I am very hopeful that an update to PowerDVD will enable disc playback.
Can you install Media Info?
Then right click on the 45gig m2ts, select Media Info, and post here? Thx
Should look like this:

Spoiler!

Last edited by doctorwizz; 02-15-2016 at 05:24 PM.
post #83 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That is very good news indeed.
If you install MPC-HC, there is a good chance that the large m2t file will play.
And forget Cyberlink, all that has to be done now is to give James a poke over at SlySoft and we can use MPC-HC, which IMO is better then Power DVD.

I also contacted LG and this is what I got:

Thank you for contacting LG Home Entertainment Email Services!
As of now, we don’t have news yet for firmware update or optical disc drive that includes AACS 2.0 enabled. I will pass this email of yours to our IT Department and will ask any information that is related to this issue. I will notify you through email as soon as we get a reply

And one more thing, when you right click on the disc and go to properties, what is the total size of the disc ?
Thanks !

Last edited by JeffR1; 02-15-2016 at 06:27 PM.
post #84 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 06:39 PM

The only thing that I got from Media info was :
General
Complete name : D:\BDMV\STREAM\00011.m2ts
File size : 45.5 GiB

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post
Can you install Media Info?
Then right click on the 45gig m2ts, select Media Info, and post here? Thx
Should look like this:

Spoiler!
post #85 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 06:42 PM

I tried Media Player Classic and it just sat there saying "Opening" for about 5 minutes before I gave up.

Windows reports the total size of the disc as 48.9GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
That is very good news indeed.
If you install MPC-HC, there is a good chance that the large m2t file will play.
And forget Cyberlink, all that has to be done now is to give James a poke over at SlySoft and we can use MPC-HC, which IMO is better then Power DVD.

I also contacted LG and this is what I got:

Thank you for contacting LG Home Entertainment Email Services!
As of now, we don’t have news yet for firmware update or optical disc drive that includes AACS 2.0 enabled. I will pass this email of yours to our IT Department and will ask any information that is related to this issue. I will notify you through email as soon as we get a reply

And one more thing, when you right click on the disc and go to properties, what is the total size of the disc ?
Thanks !
post #86 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
I tried Media Player Classic and it just sat there saying "Opening" for about 5 minutes before I gave up.

Ummm....not to ask a crazy question, but are you positive you didn't take the traditional blu-ray disc out of the case and put THAT in the drive?

Reason I ask is because that total disc size seems low.
JeffR1 likes this.

Theater 1: LG OLED55E6P 4K TV, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray player, Oppo UDP-203, Dune HD Solo 4K
Theater 2: Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D (CFW), Dune Base 3.0 / Smart units, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #87 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I didn't think it would open with the AACS file still intact, but I just was curious _ thanks for that.
And at 48.9GB; I wonder if it would work in a standard Blu-ray drive ???

I think I will order one of those drives, I have some UHD discs coming and even if they don't work, I was planning on getting a new one anyway, mine is getting long in the tooth, plus the fact it's just an HP brand.
It's not the greatest with only 2 MB cache on it.
post #88 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
Ummm....not to ask a crazy question, but are you positive you didn't take the traditional blu-ray disc out of the case and put THAT in the drive?

There's a sobering thought, but in his very first post, he did say "UHD".
A concern none the less...
post #89 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I've never seen a BD rip with a DFEX directory in it (nor could find anything in a quick google search)...

Also, since UHD is so new, it could be like when HD-DVD came out (15GB single layer discs)...maybe they didn't need a 100GB disc for this film.

Theater 1: LG OLED55E6P 4K TV, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray player, Oppo UDP-203, Dune HD Solo 4K
Theater 2: Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D (CFW), Dune Base 3.0 / Smart units, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #90 of 687 Old 02-15-2016, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post

I believe all UHD Blurays are on 50gb discs at the moment. Production on other disc types isn't up and running get if I recall correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page