HTPC + DVR advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-26-2016, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HTPC + DVR advice

Hi all,

I'm a total newbie in HTPC and now trying to get one for the first time.
Mainly I will watch movies (fullHD at the moment, my TV is not 4K compatible) stored on a NAS and on DVDs or Blu-rays. I also want to watch and record Live TV with a USB tuner I already got.

I read a lot of thread and articles and I think that my choice will be on a Intel NUC and not building a HTPC on my own. I thougt about buying a NUC6i5RYH with a 250GB SSD m.2 (Samsung Evo 850) and 8 Gb RAM.
The 2.5" bay will be used with an old laptop HDD I got to store some files but mainly the recordings will be on saved directly on the NAS.

What do you think of this choice? I'm really concerned also by the noise of this HTPC.

Is the i3 version of the NUC sufficient? I didn't consider to buy a 5th generation NUC as the price is not so different.

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-26-2016, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Windows Media Center doesn't like to save its recordings to a network drive. You would need to create an iSCSI connection between the NAS and NUC.

An i3 is plenty since you aren't needing 4K support.

post #3 of 5 Old 01-26-2016, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 292
First are you sure your USB tuner will work with WMC?

For storing the recordings on the NAS, use MCEBuddy to move them over once the recording is complete. While you are at it, you can set it up to strip out the commercials before it moves them.

A WMC box will run on 2GB RAM, and doesn't need more than 4.

Noise is completely up to you. My HTPC is very near silent. It makes no noise even with your ear up to the case. Pick components that are silent or near silent and you'll have no issues. Even the stock coolers that come with Intel i series processors (i3, etc.) are going to be silent in any real-world use, as long as you have your BIOS set correctly.

My main HTPC is an i3 2100 Sandy Bridge. Anything you buy now will beat the pants off it. Your i3 choice is plenty sufficient.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-26-2016, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Windows Media Center doesn't like to save its recordings to a network drive. You would need to create an iSCSI connection between the NAS and NUC.

An i3 is plenty since you aren't needing 4K support.
In fact I'll use Kodi + MediaPortal plugin to record Live TV. I heard that there's no problem with recording on a UNC share of the network.

One more question regarding i3/i5 choice : is it a big difference if I want to compress my TV recordings to burn DVD or Blu-ray?
post #5 of 5 Old 01-26-2016, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Not really, you can configure MCEBuddy to do your compression for you while it is stripping commercials. You can even set it to only do it at certain times of the day or night, which is what I do. So it isn't like you'd be standing over it waiting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page