I have a dedicated computer as part of my HT for media playback now and wanted to share tips for setting up or optimizing windows 10.
I know there are guides. And these ideas mostly come from watching a few youtube videos on tuning a PC for gaming. And, I most likely can't tell you how to "undo" this stuff so remember that. But, if you are building a dedicated Media PC then I think you must be fairly advanced with computers or soon will be.
But here's some
0. Set BIOS to ignore the lack of keyboard. (I don't use a keyboard I use a remote and there is no keyboard hooked up)
1. Automated login
2. Use Local Account instead of Micro$oft account.
3. If you want to Remove One Drive. (I don't use it and don't want it)
4. Forget security software aside from the built in Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. (if you want to truly explore the internet use a different machine)
5. Dis-able the swap file. This is easy to do and undo and works for me, I suggest trying it. Even though I use a SSD I don't want the computer doing anything unless I ask it to and that includes trying to manage a swap file.
6. Remove any bundled software or "shovel-ware" or better yet do a clean install of Windows 10.
7. Set Power Management scheme to High Performance.
8. Dis-able start up delays... There's one for choosing the OS and another for letting the OS load before starting prrograms.
For the first case look here..
Start>Right click on Computer and Properties> Advanced Settings on the left side of the window> Advanced Tab> Settings from theStartup And Recovery section (last one)> Choose the operating system you want and uncheck the Time to display List of operating systems.
For the second look here... (But this one rely's on hibernation for quick booting so you lose the freshness of booting up... On second look I don't recommend this one but you can try it)
I think there is a third tweak for this ... Still looking for the link. It's something about a delay Windows has to let start up programs load before trying to launch other applications... Have to find that one.. it works well.
9 - Well now I have to go.. a few more things I can quickly remember is I turned off automatic maintenance and just run it myself as needed and turned of indexing on the hard drive.
That's all I have time for now. I hope others will give tips I forgot or better versions or something. I think Windows 10 is great for dedicated Media PC's but lots of things need to be adjusted. Watching a couple of youtube vids for windows 10 optimazation is a good place to start.. they will show you how to turn off lots of privacy stuff which to me means just turning off lots of automated processes that I would prefer just never happen.