Guide: Building a 4K HTPC for madVR - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 92Likes

post #481 of 495 Old 09-06-2017, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaluza-k View Post
I spent some more time working with it (and systematically selecting/deselecting certain settings), and I think the problem is not related to madVR. In Kodi with DSPlayer, my OSD kept showing "Fullscreen Windowed D3D11 (8 Bit)" regardless of the settings I had selected in Kodi, madVR, or LAV.

I downloaded MPC-HC standalone and tried to open up the same files and both 2D and 3D played as expected in fullscreen exclusive mode. That is, 2D 1080p content was scaled to 2160p23 and 3D 1080p content didn't scale and changed my refresh rate to 1080p23 (FP). So, I think there something wrong with Kodi/DSPlayer that isn't getting the madvr settings pulled through to the player. At any rate, likely their problem and not yours so I'll post in that thread.

Thanks anyways.
This may be an obvious question but are you sure the dsplayer is active and you are not using the internal Kodi player?

Sorry for bad english...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 495 Old 09-06-2017, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrangel View Post
This may be an obvious question but are you sure the dsplayer is active and you are not using the internal Kodi player?
Yes I'm pretty sure. The appropriate flags are selected in the GUI to enable DSPlayer as the default, and I get the madVR OSD with cntrl + J during playback.
post #483 of 495 Old 09-06-2017, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
If i have a 120hz monitor unable to switch to anything lower then 60hz, and most these movies are 23.**** fps, shouldent i leave smooth motion on always? for the best results in smoothness?

This honestly is my biggest issue with watching on my computer, i find that when the camera moves up and down or side to side i notice the judder or w/e you call it, i tryed SVP but the cost was so high and 60fps is way to fast. Can anyone be my miracle here and help me out? again sorry to drop in on a random forum. Thanks all.

post #484 of 495 Old 09-07-2017, 01:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 582
You can try to set your monitor to 23.976 (= 24.000 / 1.001) * 5, which would be 120 / 1.001 = 119.880Hz. That should allow smooth playback without needing smooth motion. If you can't manage to get this refresh rate setup properly, of course you can "always" activate smooth motion.
post #485 of 495 Old 09-07-2017, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all, im new on HTPC world and madVR, i just have buid my HTPC last week.
I have one Gigabyte 1050 GTX TI 4GB OC and im using the MPC-HC and MPC-BE ( witch one is better ??? )
i have passed the last 2 weeks reading all this forum and google about the madVR configurantion and how to do it , but i only encounter tutorials a little olds because most of that options on madVR dont existe anymore, or have even more options.

I have made some configurations and i see some image quality improvements, but for be honest i dont know what im really doing here.... i attach my config files for who can give-me an help how to do right for my graphic card.

I dont know well what is the best on upscaling and downscaling.. chrome settings,
I really hate that black bars on the movies, but if i change aspect ratio full screen video i have some slow fps.
I have one LG 4k TV with HDR 10 (2017 model)

Some help is aprecciated thx for all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1.png
Views:	39
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	2278948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2.png
Views:	35
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	2278950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_3.png
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	2278952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_4.png
Views:	33
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	2278954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_5.png
Views:	32
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	2278956  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_6.png
Views:	39
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	2278958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_7.png
Views:	34
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	2278960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_8.png
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	2278962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_9.png
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	2278964  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen.jpg (289.5 KB, 14 views)
post #486 of 495 Old 09-07-2017, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not sure why you enabled gamma processing, or why you modified the HDR settings away from "let madVR decide". If you did these changes for a reason then it's fine, otherwise I would revert those to the default settings. Also, please make sure you have the "HDR and Advanced Color" option in the OS display configuration *unchecked*. That option is seriously bad.

Not sure what you mean with the black bar stuff? Are you talking about scaling 1080p movies up to 4K, so you don't get black bars around the video image? That's definitely what you should do. But upscaling to 4K costs a lot of GPU power. If your GPU can't handle the stress, then I'd suggest that you use a cheaper chroma upscaling algorithm, because that's not really all that important for image quality. E.g. try Bicubic75 with Anti-Ringing enabled, instead of NGU, for chroma upscaling. For image upscaling using one of the NGU variants is definitely a good idea, if your GPU can handle it. For image downscaling I would recommend SSIM1D instead of DXVA.
post #487 of 495 Old 09-07-2017, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Not sure why you enabled gamma processing, or why you modified the HDR settings away from "let madVR decide". If you did these changes for a reason then it's fine, otherwise I would revert those to the default settings. Also, please make sure you have the "HDR and Advanced Color" option in the OS display configuration *unchecked*. That option is seriously bad.

Not sure what you mean with the black bar stuff? Are you talking about scaling 1080p movies up to 4K, so you don't get black bars around the video image? That's definitely what you should do. But upscaling to 4K costs a lot of GPU power. If your GPU can't handle the stress, then I'd suggest that you use a cheaper chroma upscaling algorithm, because that's not really all that important for image quality. E.g. try Bicubic75 with Anti-Ringing enabled, instead of NGU, for chroma upscaling. For image upscaling using one of the NGU variants is definitely a good idea, if your GPU can handle it. For image downscaling I would recommend SSIM1D instead of DXVA.
Thx for your answer, i have gamma processing and hdr because i read in some place no reason im going revert to defalut settings.

I dont understand this (Also, please make sure you have the "HDR and Advanced Color" option in the OS display configuration *unchecked*. That option is seriously bad.) where i change this ? Tv ? madVR? MPC ...

And the black bars stuff , is the black bars around the movie ( up and down ) how can i change to have only image on screen without the bars ? like a tv show i dont have the black bars , on all bd rips i have the bars, if i strech the image they are gone but theres to be another better way right ? I think my gpu can handle decent settings can you pls tell-me some or the previous your talk is all i need ?
post #488 of 495 Old 09-07-2017, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I told you where to find the setting, namely in the "OS display configuration".

You see black bars in many movies because many movies have Cinemascope format. Which means they have a 2.4:1 ratio. Your TV is 16:9 ratio. You can configure madVR to automatically zoom the black bars away for you in the madVR "zoom control" settings. But doing such a zoom means you're cutting off some image content at the left and right side of the movie. There simply is no perfect solution if the movie aspect ratio and your TV aspect ratio don't match. Either you have black bars in that situation, or you cut off some image content.
post #489 of 495 Old 09-07-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
I told you where to find the setting, namely in the "OS display configuration".

You see black bars in many movies because many movies have Cinemascope format. Which means they have a 2.4:1 ratio. Your TV is 16:9 ratio. You can configure madVR to automatically zoom the black bars away for you in the madVR "zoom control" settings. But doing such a zoom means you're cutting off some image content at the left and right side of the movie. There simply is no perfect solution if the movie aspect ratio and your TV aspect ratio don't match. Either you have black bars in that situation, or you cut off some image content.
Yap you are right i dont understand in the first time the "os dipslay configuration" grrrr my english is not so good

I inderstang the black bars now but is a litle boring see the bars why they dont do content in 16:9 for home users, later when im home, im going change my madVR settings for the settings you tell me first, and after i tell something.

Thx for your time and help.

Last edited by Dreemer; 09-07-2017 at 06:25 AM.
post #490 of 495 Old 09-07-2017, 07:32 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
Quote:
There simply is no perfect solution if the movie aspect ratio and your TV aspect ratio don't match. Either you have black bars in that situation, or you cut off some image content.
There's a third option, but it's REALLY ugly: stretch the image disproportionately to fill the screen. But that will make circles look like ovals, make people look fatter or skinnier than they should be (depending on which way the image gets stretched), and so on. Yuck.
post #491 of 495 Old 09-09-2017, 11:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 264
you install it
you may need to change a setting in the nvidia control center for well nvidia cards but that's it.
you need to select it as a default video renderer in your player of choice.

you are ready to use it.
post #492 of 495 Old 09-10-2017, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaa View Post
In all honesty is there a lot of problems setting up madvr and getting playback?
Nope. The installation reminds of Mac apps: you download the package, and unzip it where-ever you want it to be.

That's all.

When you first run it, it registers with the system that it provides DLLs which are located where you put it. No MSI package, no running an installer to configure and set things up, no need for an installer to de-install, etc. As for using it, many video players like VLC, KODI, Daum PotPlayer, etc support madVR integration, so it's generally easy to choose it as the video renderer.

Now, if you wanted to say that it has lots of options and choosing which algorithms to use for upscaling and such are complicated, that would be fair, but you can get it going with the defaults quickly, and then take your time to compare NGU versus JINC or whatever.

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT
post #493 of 495 Old 09-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaa View Post
Ok so as far as hardware .
A amd 8350 with a gtx 1060 or a new amd gpu would be good?

Or do I really need to get a better CPU?
Your CPU is likely to be OK since most of the processing work is offloaded to the GPU. (A quick check suggests it's a late 2012 model with 8 cores at ~ 4 GHz? Should be good, that was a pretty high-end CPU when it came out, anyway.)

A GTX 1060 is a fine choice; spend the extra $20 or so for the 6GB version just to be on the safe side. I can't really recommend the current AMD GPUs for price/performance reasons, although I wish they were more competitive, but yes, a Fury or Vega would work OK as well.

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT
post #494 of 495 Old 09-18-2017, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Send a message via Yahoo to khactuyen
Hi all, i'm using Intel core I3 (2nd generation) so What minimum VGA can upscale 1080p to 4K with MadVR max setting (GNU)? i read some information on AVS, VGA must have H265 decoder such as Nvidia GTX 9xx (GM 206) or later? and CPU upgrade?
My PJ: JVC RS4910 (no HDR)
* Some setting pics from @Javs :

@Javs :
Can you give me some detail about your software player, hardware for easy control (the same hd player as oppo 103/pana ud900...... (full setup of your HTPC), thanks.

Thank all.

Last edited by khactuyen; 09-18-2017 at 02:50 AM.
post #495 of 495 Old 09-18-2017, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 264
for max settings maybe a 1080 ti can do it...

i recommend you to stop think about this "max settings" stuff.
NGU very high is usually not worth the extra processing power it needs it is not much better(it is about x3 slower than NGU high).
a 1060-1080 is a good choice for UHD output.

using debanding high for everything is a good way to remove details. it is for low quality sources to stop the banding where details are long gone. default debanding strength should not be higher than low on good sources.

if you have 8 GB of ram in the system than the old CPU is fine. 4 GB may work too.
this system only has PCIe 2 which may or may not be a problem never got a conformation from a sandybridge user.
khactuyen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
htpc build , madvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page