AVS Forum banner

Nvidia Pascal GeForce GTX 1080

3K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  LedHed 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
HDMI 2.0b - so all our new atmos amps are worthless!

But seriously how can we get 4K content on an htpc? Outside of games and in what decade will they add support, I just don't see 4K blue ray or 4K Netflix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
And let's be realistic: incredible performance vs watt but not incredible performance.

At 30% faster than Titan x you still can't play most modern games (those benefiting from 4K) at 4K. Hell it takes 2-3 Titans to play tomb raider on ultra!

Why I want one: finally 1080p 60 maxed out should be achievable . I am tired of people saying "oh a 950 is good enough for 1080" that is true for games from 2010 at 30fps

#5 ·
So after this long rant , as someone who loves the engineering and games (art), I am getting it to play battlefield 1 and phantom pain at 1080p 60fps vsync on in Dolby atmos (battlefield is atmos)

#6 ·
The reason GTX 960 & GTX 950 is recommended is because they have 4K HEVC Main10 hardware decoder for Netflix 4K & Ultra HD Blu-ray, HDMI 2.0 output & HDCP 2.2 support.
This is HTPC forum after all, gaming is on the lower end of the priority scale.

With Pascal, Nvidia will finally bring 4K HEVC Main10 hardware decoder to the entire family top to bottom, not like Maxwell's low-end GM206 cards only.
GM200 & GM204 didn't have the HEVC Main10 hardware decoder sadly.

#7 ·
True, but it is unclear if we will see HD Blu ray drives. Powerdvd has not even talked about support.

So how do you get in 2016 Amazon prime on your htpc to output HDR? The web browser?

Tell me I am wrong but the largest source of HDR on htpc (and maybe only in 2017) will be games.

#9 ·
You don't get Amazon 4k on your HTPC. You'll need a streaming box for that. The best solution for UHD discs and 4k streaming will probably be a UHD player with Netflix and Amazon built in. Until you can rip a UHD disc there isn't much use in a 4k HTPC.

Gaming is a different story (and forum).

#12 · (Edited)
Game stream works great btw on Ethernet

From Nvidia own statement and graphs expect it to perform about the same as a 980ti

Again, perfect for 1080p gaming with maximum fidelity in 2016

Not going to get 4K HDR

#13 ·
Have there been any announcements of video cards coming out that have 4K HEVC Main10 hardware decoder, and all of the other goodies on them that will power a 4K HDTV that is more focused on the HTPC realm, and not the gaming realm? I really don't want to spend gobs of money on a video card which focuses on gaming. Just a card that will keep me up to date on the newest technology in the HTPC realm.

#19 ·
So later versions of DX12 will support HDR. When that will make it to windows 10 games I am unclear. The XBONE can't support HDR.

At least Star Wars Battlefront has ATMOS ;)

#25 ·
Any GPU can do HDR. It's the display connectivity that has been lacking it. The HDR we have had in PC games like Half-Life 2 is faux-HDR that is the simulation of dynamic HDR imaging within the game engine and GPU, which is output as the final image on non-HDR displays. Once you allow for HDR meta-deta, which the upcoming HDMI and DisplayPort interfaces will have, you can do real, dynamic HDR.

#20 ·
Will the higher end 1080 and 1070 be able to bitstream TrueHD/Atmos? That's the only way to get the signal to an ATMOS receiver. In the past the higher end cards could only send up to 7.1 PCM, but not a raw, undecoded signal above DTS-EX or EAC3. I hope that's changed now, because I would love to get a 1070 or 1060 for HTPC and 1080p gaming duties. The 960 I currently have is great for video and almost there for 1080p gaming.

#28 ·
From the Ars Technica review:
More useful for non-professional gamers is Pascal's support for High Dynamic Range (HDR) output. HDR is the next big thing in displays, allowing them to display a far greater range of colours, as much as 75 percent of the visible spectrum, as well up to 1,000 nits of brightness. It's rather impressive, and the 1080 supports the full array of HDR features: 12-bit colour, BT.2020 wide colour gamut, SMPTE 2084 (Perceptual Quantization), and HDMI 2.0b 10/12b for 4K HDR.

Plus, there's hardware 4K60 10/12bit HEVC, as well as 4K60 10bit encoding, allowing the 1080 to stream 4K HDR video to a Shield Android TV. That's important, because right now, there aren't any HDR PC monitors available besides an extremely expensive Sony model designed for filmmakers. Still, the 1080's 4K and HDR chops mean it's one of the few devices to be certified for Microsoft's PlayReady 3.0 (SL3000) standard, allowing users to finally play back 4K Netflix streams on PC (it's been limited to certain TVs and set top boxes so far) when it launches later this year.

#33 ·
Here is a near silent 4k gaming pc I am building with nvidia asus gtx strix 1080. The evga is just a placeholder as pcpartpicker doesn't have the asus gtx 1080 yet, though is supposed to come out next week. I have a few alternative coolers/ram/ssd listed whose prices I am tracking and will buy whichever ends up going on sale (if they do before the gpu drops):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Kotetsu 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen MAX 97.2 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($316.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($316.54 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q ATX Mid Tower Case ($142.95 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($143.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: Phanteks PH-F140HP_BK 2 88.6 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Samsung U32D970Q 60Hz 31.5" Monitor ($1299.00 @ Adorama)
Keyboard: Logitech K800 Wireless Slim Keyboard ($63.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech Performance Wireless Laser Mouse ($62.99 @ Best Buy)
Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 505W 5.1ch Speakers
External Storage: Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Hard Drive ($219.99 @ Mac Mall)
Total: $3232.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-28 23:41 EDT-0400

#35 ·
Just to let people know currently even with a MSI GTX 1070 Armor running Windows 10 Pro x64 with the Netflix app, it will not display 4K.

I have found nothing posted anywhere about when we will get 4K, but when it happens I'll post back. Based on the info provided with Netflix app keyboard shortcuts, it is using the "envc" codec for video currently.

The codec menu shows the highest bitrate available as Video: 3650 Audio: 128
(surprised the audio isn't higher w/ 5.1)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.