SnapStream forums down (BeyondTV) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-13-2016, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
cosiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
SnapStream forums down (BeyondTV)

The SnapStream forums have been down for the past week, and I'm checking to see if anyone knows the scoop? (forums.stanpstream.com/vb)

I hope they didn't pull the plug on it. I don't think that is what happened since I'm pretty sure there was no advance notice. And I've had a few interactions with them to know that they are aware of the knowledge base value.

I'm wondering if it was hacked (again). They wouldn't have any reason to rush getting it back online since it's only us old timer consumers still using it. But I hope they let us copy it somewhere if they don't want to keep it going.

Cheers,
Bryan

P.S. I still love my BTV and use it every day! I occasionally try other HTPC applications, but nothing covers everything I need or does it as elegantly as good ole BeyondTV.

Last edited by cosiz; 05-14-2016 at 12:56 PM.
cosiz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 05-14-2016, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
captain_video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 4,228
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 328
I haven't visited the SnapStream forums in years so I wasn't aware it was down. I built my first HTPC based on BeyondTV and loved it. I was with DirecTV at the time and used BeyondTV to record my local channels. I have access to two major markets in my area and DirecTV only allows me access to one of them based on my zip code, and even then I can't get all of my local stations in that market. The only reason I switched was because I upgraded to Windows 7 when the Ceton InfiniTV4 tuner was released. I had switched over to FIOS and used Tivos for cable channels and my trusty HTPC with BTV for locals. Once I made the switch I was able to use WMC to access all channels from both FIOS and OTA so I stopped using BTV. I thought BTV had been dropped a while ago so I'm surprised to hear that people can still use it. It was probably the best commercial DVR solution for a PC.
captain_video is online now  
post #3 of 16 Old 05-14-2016, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
gonzo90017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
gonzo90017 is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 05-14-2016, 07:47 PM
Member
 
Zogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been wondering about the Snapstream forum as well, cosiz. I still check it once a week or so; well I did.

I'm beginning to think they pulled the plug on it.
Zogg is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 05-15-2016, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
cosiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
I've been wondering about the Snapstream forum as well, cosiz. I still check it once a week or so; well I did.

I'm beginning to think they pulled the plug on it.
Thanks Zogg, I was hoping one of the forum regulars like you might see my post here. So I guess that means there probably wasn't a notice posted about it.

If it doesn't come back soon, I may have to drop by the SnapStream offices to do some begging (I live in Houston). :-)

Cheers,
Bryan
cosiz is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 05-15-2016, 04:54 PM
Member
 
Zogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosiz View Post
Thanks Zogg, I was hoping one of the forum regulars like you might see my post here. So I guess that means there probably wasn't a notice posted about it.

If it doesn't come back soon, I may have to drop by the SnapStream offices to do some begging (I live in Houston). :-)

Cheers,
Bryan
Yeah, I suppose we could just ask them what's up instead of speculating or badmouthing them LOL.

We still use the crap out of BTV every day at my house, and while I'm mostly trouble free it was nice to have the forum to lean on.

Zogg
Zogg is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 05-18-2016, 05:07 PM
Newbie
 
kandlg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed that too and sent an e-mail to tech support. Will let you know if they respond.
kandlg is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 05-19-2016, 07:21 AM
Newbie
 
Terminal3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering this myself. I am still using BTV for OTA capture. I still check the forum from time to time and had nocticed it was down .
Terminal3 is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 05-19-2016, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Rich A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: About 2 feet in front of the monitor.
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Zogg ??

Hey there old buddy. Fancy seeing you here. Was just here updating my log in and profile as I've moved to a new location. I was browsing this HT forum and saw this thread about the Snapstream forum being down.

I have to think it was some kind of problem like a hack or something and hope that's all. I DO know that the SnapStream.net is still up so the channel guides and EPGs should be still working.

Left my former house with my fancy home theater for the new owner. BUT I removed the rack mounted electronics and hauled all that up here to the new house. I have a HUGE basement with about 1/3 of it a billiard / pool room. Somewhere in the other 2/3rds of the basement I might make another small Home Theater. But I dunno .. I'm getting up in years and may just take the rack mount system and build a screen and a few seats and be done with it.

As you know I've been using Beyond TV for my home TV recording and just before I moved out, I had updated the thing to run 2 Homerun Primes and 2 regular homeruns. The Primes gave me six tuners all running HD encrypted digital and the regular homeruns decoded the clear QAM hd digital. Wow recording 8 shows at once !!

I am a big supporter of SnapStream and of course when Paul and some others found a way to use the Silicondust HDHomerun Primes for BeyondTV ... well it sealed the deal with me. 20? plus years using BTV and it was still going strong when I pulled the plug.

Still living out of boxes and I guess you can say I've gone over to the "dark side" and got myself a Comcast Xfinity DVR. I have to say it's sorta okay. It works but it's not as slick and bullet proof as my old PC base HT system using BTV.

Stupid remote has voice recognition so I can tell it what I want to watch. Technology .. ugh.

Don't mean to hog this thread but since the SnapStream forum is down and I found another BTV die hard hanging around here I thought I'd say hi !

Even if BTV eventually goes the way of the dodo bird, we will still be able to patch in an external third party EPG. But so far the guide service *.net at SS is still up and running.

- Rich A (an old BTV Beta tester from ancient times)

Rich
Rich A is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 05-20-2016, 09:38 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Still using BTV as well and went to check the forums for help. I hope (re)installs will still validate. I am still running on two XP machines that I would like to update this year.
greendl is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 05-23-2016, 08:55 AM
Member
 
Zogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Response from Snapstream support

Hi all,

I finally broke down and emailed Snapstream tech support and got this reply:

The forums are not gone, but we did have a major issue with them and are in the process of rebuilding it. Unfortunately, I don't have an ETA when they will be back up.

So we haven't been totally abandoned, which is good. I guess I am a die hard user as Rich mentioned, and I do search the forums occasionally as I get ideas (usually bad) so I'll be glad when they are back up.

Cheers,
Zogg (John)
Zogg is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 05-23-2016, 09:15 AM
Member
 
Zogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich A View Post
Hey there old buddy. Fancy seeing you here. Was just here updating my log in and profile as I've moved to a new location. I was browsing this HT forum and saw this thread about the Snapstream forum being down.

I have to think it was some kind of problem like a hack or something and hope that's all. I DO know that the SnapStream.net is still up so the channel guides and EPGs should be still working.

Left my former house with my fancy home theater for the new owner. BUT I removed the rack mounted electronics and hauled all that up here to the new house. I have a HUGE basement with about 1/3 of it a billiard / pool room. Somewhere in the other 2/3rds of the basement I might make another small Home Theater. But I dunno .. I'm getting up in years and may just take the rack mount system and build a screen and a few seats and be done with it.

As you know I've been using Beyond TV for my home TV recording and just before I moved out, I had updated the thing to run 2 Homerun Primes and 2 regular homeruns. The Primes gave me six tuners all running HD encrypted digital and the regular homeruns decoded the clear QAM hd digital. Wow recording 8 shows at once !!

I am a big supporter of SnapStream and of course when Paul and some others found a way to use the Silicondust HDHomerun Primes for BeyondTV ... well it sealed the deal with me. 20? plus years using BTV and it was still going strong when I pulled the plug.

Still living out of boxes and I guess you can say I've gone over to the "dark side" and got myself a Comcast Xfinity DVR. I have to say it's sorta okay. It works but it's not as slick and bullet proof as my old PC base HT system using BTV.

Stupid remote has voice recognition so I can tell it what I want to watch. Technology .. ugh.

Don't mean to hog this thread but since the SnapStream forum is down and I found another BTV die hard hanging around here I thought I'd say hi !

Even if BTV eventually goes the way of the dodo bird, we will still be able to patch in an external third party EPG. But so far the guide service *.net at SS is still up and running.

- Rich A (an old BTV Beta tester from ancient times)
Hi Rich!

I was just thinking about you the other day, so thanks for the message. Glad to hear you are doing okay and keeping busy with the move, and yet still only 2 feet from your monitor.

Like you, I sincerely appreciate Snapstream continuing to provide free guide data and keeping us home users going. I know the cost to them is minimal, but still they could have cut us off a long time ago.

BTV isn't perfect but it's pretty close, and it just keeps ticking. The HDHomeRun's have really simplified the system, and it just works. I have to admit though that I am increasingly needing captioning, so it may force me to revisit SageTV now that it's open source or a different solution.

We may also be moving in a year or so, but I will most likely keep my system as long as I can get cable card service. I have this house wired for 1Gig other than my master bedroom where it's impossible to get a cable to without a massive amount of effort. I finally got a good enough WiFi signal over AC1200, and recently tried some ZyXEL PLA5456KIT AV2000 powerline adapters and they actually work great although you won't get anywhere near 2000 Mbps. I only mention it in case you want to try a Link system in another room and you don't have good network service in your house.

Hope to see you on the BTV forum again soon!

Zogg (John)
Zogg is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 05-24-2016, 02:00 PM
Member
 
risk1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
Hi all,The forums are not gone, but we did have a major issue with them and are in the process of rebuilding it. Unfortunately, I don't have an ETA when they will be back up.
Didn't they say something like this to keep our hopes up about BTV 5? I think this might be it for the forums.


I cant believe I've stuck with it for so long...16yrs or so? They stop updating and we stay, they officially end support and we stay, they pull the plug on the forum and we stay!


I still use BTV heavily and love it. I have a DVR from Cablevision and its AWEFUL (no 30 second skip, no skip at all!)


I just love BTV and hope I can use it forever.


-Risk


P.S. good to hear your still around Rich...sounds like you've moved..still in CT?
risk1994 is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 05-26-2016, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Rich A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: About 2 feet in front of the monitor.
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yup still in CT. We are several miles from the Mass border on a 1,000 foot mountain top (great for ham radio). I'm re-doing my rack mounted home theater system updating some hardware and of course will be using BeyondTV for my HTPC.

Currently suffering with a Comcast DVR .. very fancy .. lot's of bells and whistles (voice control etc) but I can't wait to get back to my BTV setup.

I'm not too worried about the SnapStream company. Even if they stop supplying the EPG content we can still subscribe to one of the available paid for subscriptions. When I was first playing around with NextPVR as a BTV alternative (before we got cable card working with BTV) I used a subscription service, (Schedules Direct) for a while and it was not expensive. I'm sure we will be able to make something like that work with BTV.

I'm more worried about some of the things going on with Microsoft and Windows 7, 8 and 10. I said a year ago that I got the feeling that MS was trying to take a page out of the Apple company's book. MS wants one windows OS to be one option and that will be for the PC, Tablet and phone. Lately I've heard rumors about Microsoft's very aggressive nagging to get Win 7, and 8 users to upgrade to 10. I hope what I read were just rumors because if it is true IMHO MS has resorted to some pretty nasty tactics. While in the process of upgrading the hardware for my BTV system, I think I will see how it will run in a Windows 10 OS.

Safe to say, I'll be using Beyond TV for years to come. I hope SS gets the forum back up as I hope to spend some time there discussing future BTV things along with HTPC builds and Win 10. After using Windows 10 on both my convertible notebook and main computer since it was first released, I'm confident that BTV should work fine with my HTPC system.

Meanwhile all we can do is wait for SS to get the forum back up. As I mentioned, the snapstream.net EPG is still working and no one that I know of has had any interruption in service. After all, SS has been giving us free use of their forum and EPG since ?? heh heh I'm so old now I can't remember when we started !! So I say, "hang in there".

- Rich A

Rich
Rich A is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 05-31-2016, 05:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, it's nice to see some familiar faces around here. I checked again today and the forum is still down. :-(

I was trying to get on there to find out some info from some fellow long-time Beyond TV users.

Cox is forcing us to switch to a full digital signal so my old Haupauge PVR cards aren't going to work anymore unless I route them through the Cox mini boxes. My problem with that is in channel switching. I never did have a need to make Beyond TV change the channel for me on the cable box but I think it's possible. Can you guys give me a boost in the right direction for what I can use that works with Beyond TV? I'll hate paying Cox for the needed mini boxes but I'd rather do that than lose the ability to record entirely.

What about cable-card equipped recorders that work with Beyond TV. Can I still get one of those? Does Beyond TV work with the HD HomeRun Prime and is it likely to work with Cox?

If I do go the HDHR Prime route with a cable card will that force me to use something like Windows Media Center due to the encryption requirements?

Just trying to weigh my options to figure out the best way to move forward. The system is actually at my elderly parents house so I'd rather not have to switch them to something other than Beyond TV since they aren't good at learning new things anymore.

Steve Hiner
CodeMercenary is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 06-06-2016, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Rich A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: About 2 feet in front of the monitor.
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Smile It's back

Quick note .. the SnapStream forum is back up and running. See you there soon.

- Rich

Rich
Rich A is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home Theater Computers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off