Building a new HTPC, need some advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 3 Unread 06-27-2016, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Building a new HTPC, need some advice

I am planning my new HTPC to work with newly acquired projector Epson LS10000.

I did some testing, and I like the following software set so far:

JRiver, Madvr, Lav, calman...

The testing was done on my laptop PC, that's Macbook Pro 2015 13" retina. So the performance isn't good enough of course, however, on 1080P stuff, it works quite good, HD audio gets properly pass thru to the receiver too. And auto build a 3D LUT is amazing, so I don't have to touch/calibrate the projector itself too much.

So, I have decided to go ahead and build a desktop HTPC mainly for better performance. CPU I think I prefer Intel i5-6600T. The major problem I will face, I guess is HD bit streaming. I want DTSHD/TrueHD etc will be properly pass thru, and don't want to use two HDMI cables.

So, which motherboard? Is a separate GPU a must? Sure the GPU thing is also affecting case selection too....Please post your recommendation please. Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Unread 06-28-2016, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 154
You shouldn't waste your money building anything right now. In 2017, you'll be able to buy Kaby Lake, which has everything you need in a chipset, and there will be mid-range GPUs with HBM that do HDR and all the latest codecs, plus UHD-BD playback will come around. Right now, only the brand new, very expensive high-end GPUs are what you'd need if you wanted something future-proof, with great renderer performance.
post #3 of 3 Unread 06-28-2016, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 107
With all the talk of Intel and Microsoft teaming up to make every operating obsolete except Windows 10 with new Intel processors,I jumped into an XPS 8900 core 6 i7 at 579.00 with a year of free interest. Yes it came with Win 10 but I got Windows 8.1 pro and had a key for WMC. I am old school with my first HTPC (HP9300T) had the ATI digital wonder and had to come from HP or Dell because of the Cable Labs certification. If you don't care about DRM programs then you need not worry, I record a lot of HBO,STARS. From What I've read Kaby lake will only be supported by Windows 10 and Windows 10 will not support WMC without a major hack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers