Can't get DTS-HD-MA, Dolby TrueHD and Atmos on GTX1080 + Onkyo RT993 A/V Receiver - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 09-08-2017, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3436 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
You could also use Entech's MonInfo utility to find out exactly what EDID characteristics are being provided to the computer in realtime from the receiver. Most other EDID utilities just look at what's in the registry.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 09-08-2017, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Had the same issue issue btw. with Dolby Atmos today. Once I installed the latest Nvidia driver (custom installation, make sure the Audio driver is selected) and rebooted, I could even select Dolby Atmos Hometheater. AVR is connected to the Nvidia card. Previously I had the original Microsoft driver installed, there I didn't get the needed Dolby Atmos option, so the driver does make a difference.
post #33 of 36 Old 09-08-2017, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by patoberli View Post
Had the same issue issue btw. with Dolby Atmos today. Once I installed the latest Nvidia driver (custom installation, make sure the Audio driver is selected) and rebooted, I could even select Dolby Atmos Hometheater. AVR is connected to the Nvidia card. Previously I had the original Microsoft driver installed, there I didn't get the needed Dolby Atmos option, so the driver does make a difference.
Hey guys, appreciate the help!

@patoberli , it seems like my sound device is just showing the Onkyo Receiver from the attached pic. Do you mean looking at the actual device driver under Windows Device Manager? If so, under the "Sound, video and game controllers" of Device Manager, it is showing 5 devices, 1x High Definition Audio Device and then it shows 4x NVIDIA High Definition Audio. So I would assume it looks like I'm using NVIDIA audio drivers. I'm curious which Nvidia audio driver you are using to get it to work? I just did a full CLEAN install of the latest Nvidia GPU driver 385.41 (including HD audio) and again still no success.

@SEL dan Ball, I have MonInfo but am not very good or clear at reading the info from the pull. I also did mention I have already tried one of the EDID overrides install from another thread here that matched my receiver to no success. Yes, I did the install carefully. I'm not sure if member @Tulli on that super long thread does any more custom EDID hacks but I'm not sure if it would help or not since my named receiver hack was already on his existing list and that .inf driver did not work.

any other ideas welcomed....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170908_100915_HDR.jpg (939.9 KB, 11 views)

post #34 of 36 Old 09-08-2017, 12:55 PM

Could you, just for testing, lower the resolution of your screen to 1920x1080, reboot and check the same screenshot again?
It should list DTS-HD and another Dolby format there. I assume you use a "High Speed" HDMI cable?
post #35 of 36 Old 09-09-2017, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by patoberli View Post
Could you, just for testing, lower the resolution of your screen to 1920x1080, reboot and check the same screenshot again?
It should list DTS-HD and another Dolby format there. I assume you use a "High Speed" HDMI cable?
Tried switching the resolution for both my connected Dell monitor and the Plasma as suggested (I'm running dual screen) just to see if it can refresh it/re-handshake but no luck.

@patoberli , can you kindly do a screenshot of the audio drivers section you were mentioning and their driver version number? You mentioned they were Microsoft ones and then you changed them to Nvidia. I want to see if it's the same with mine.

Any other suggestions are welcome otherwise sadly I'll have to wait patiently for awhile until I get another AVR down the road (unlikely another Onkyo) until I can hear HD audio formats from this HTPC. Otherwise the AVR has served me very well this pass 8-9 years.
post #36 of 36 Old 09-10-2017, 02:34 AM

Let's see if the attachement works... Driver version is 1.3.34.27. As you can see on the screenshot, I also have DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. They only appeared after I installed the latest driver.

[edit]
Can you, for testing, turn the HTPC off, unplug one of the two screens (preferably the one not connected to the AVR) and turn the HTPC on again?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg denon_audio.jpg (155.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by patoberli; 09-10-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page