another help me build a system thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-03-2016, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
another help me build a system thread

I have a pretty good system setup but it is pretty old and bulky. I build it in 08 and the only thing I have had to do to it since was add a sd drive for the os and windows 8.1. BUT IT IS HUGE! We are big fans of WMC and we use a Hauppauge tuner, our cable provider has local channels on it too. I also have a apple tv3 roku, xbox one, xbox 360, none of these will ever replace the htpc. I was expecting something from appletv4 but that appears to be a let down , then there is xbox one s and its probably too new to function correctly , altho it does have a haupauge tuner but its for over the air. I guess I will go with a nuc style. I would also like some good tips on a soundsystem ours is from 2002 lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-03-2016, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I recommend checking this place out for a HTPC build

http://www.overclock.net/f/237/htpc

as far as tips for a sound system just curious at what exactly you are looking for. Budget. Room size. Ect
post #3 of 10 Old 09-04-2016, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 75

post #4 of 10 Old 09-05-2016, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
If you can narrow down your build a little bit I have found the /r/buildapc subreddit on Reddit to be a big help.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-06-2016, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Where are the movies going to be stored? If locally, don't go the NUC route. You end up with a real nest of wires if you do. That's how I did my father's and I regret it. Two boxes (NUC and external drive), two power bricks, cabling between the drive and the NUC, cable for IR receiver... it looks like crap. A MicroATX system would have made much more sense. I built a MicroATX to be my bedroom HTPC a long time ago and now it's my wife's desktop. Plenty of room for an SSD boot drive and a large hard drive inside the case, so it's nice and neat.

I still have what used to be my HTPC, I'm typing on it now. It's in a huge Antec case. I never cared that it was big, it was in a cabinet so it did not show. Why start over just because it is big?
post #6 of 10 Old 09-07-2016, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Where are the movies going to be stored? If locally, don't go the NUC route. You end up with a real nest of wires if you do. That's how I did my father's and I regret it. Two boxes (NUC and external drive), two power bricks, cabling between the drive and the NUC, cable for IR receiver... it looks like crap. A MicroATX system would have made much more sense. I built a MicroATX to be my bedroom HTPC a long time ago and now it's my wife's desktop. Plenty of room for an SSD boot drive and a large hard drive inside the case, so it's nice and neat.

I still have what used to be my HTPC, I'm typing on it now. It's in a huge Antec case. I never cared that it was big, it was in a cabinet so it did not show. Why start over just because it is big?
yeah, that's what I have an ANTEC Fusion case. I planned on using the NUC's with 2 , 4 TB notebook hd's all of this can be hidden behind tv. Oh and I use a Bluetooth Logitech mini dinovo , it is awesome I bought it 6 years ago but it has taken some abuse , busted up a little bit I will probably get another one. I think now I'll just look into the NUC route. tired of waiting on some company that makes an all in one solution.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-07-2016, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A NUC with two external drives is going to be messy. And you didn't mention if you cared about Netflix, Amazon, etc. I replaced all my HTPCs with NVidia Shields.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-07-2016, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

yes I like to use Netflix. I don't thing shield does any cable tuning.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-08-2016, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtarky View Post
yes I like to use Netflix. I don't thing shield does any cable tuning.
Sure it does. That's one of the major things I use them for.

http://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-prime/

How are you going to play Netflix on NUC? Mouse and keyboard?
post #10 of 10 Old 01-14-2017, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

ok, I got a hp prodesk 600 g1 mini, its pretty awesome. I have win 10 installed, WMC and KODI . I just ordered the SD hDhomerun prime. I couldve sworn a few months ago it was close to 200 dollars, its now under 110!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page