anyone in the Phoenix Az. area to offer help with HTPC? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TornadoTJ

post #1 of 7 Old 09-12-2016, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
anyone in the Phoenix Az. area to offer help with HTPC?

Hi,
I live in Mesa Az. (Phoenix metro area) and was wondering if there is an AVS forum member that would be willing to help me build and configure an HTPC for my home theater? I can probably build the PC itself but need a lot of help in choosing and configuring the software to make it all work as it should.
Thanks for any help or suggestions
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-12-2016, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1723 Post(s)
Liked: 539
What are your goals? A PC may not even be required any more.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-12-2016, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

My goal is to store all my Movies, Music and Pictures/home movies on it, access the internet and also possibly use it as a DVR.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-12-2016, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
What are your goals? A PC may not even be required any more.
My goal is to store all my Movies, Music and Pictures/home movies on it, access the internet and also possibly use it as a DVR.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-12-2016, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, then for now you are still looking at an HTPC, or a combination of a home server plus streaming device.

With just the goals you listed, almost any computer nowadays will work just fine. Since you mentioned DVR, my recommendation is to go with Windows 7, as WMC is still the best option for recording TV. Something like a refurb or off-lease machine from somewhere like MicroCenter, Newegg, etc. with an i3 would fit the bill really well. Add a SiliconDust HDHR box for tuning (which one depends on what you are tuning) and you are set.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-12-2016, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Well, then for now you are still looking at an HTPC, or a combination of a home server plus streaming device.

With just the goals you listed, almost any computer nowadays will work just fine. Since you mentioned DVR, my recommendation is to go with Windows 7, as WMC is still the best option for recording TV. Something like a refurb or off-lease machine from somewhere like MicroCenter, Newegg, etc. with an i3 would fit the bill really well. Add a SiliconDust HDHR box for tuning (which one depends on what you are tuning) and you are set.
Thanks TornadoTJ for your input on the hardware. I am familiar enough with most of the hardware, but it's the software and configuration to get it all to work is where I need the help. Raid 1 storage, Kodi, Plex, Windows, etc. That's why I am trying to find someone locally, so I can get together and get the help I need.
Thanks again for your input.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-13-2016, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why RAID? Most people don't do RAID, me included.

Windows and Plex are easy to install. If you run into a snag, it would not be hard to walk you through it here.

That said, if the technical aspects are foreign to you, the cold truth is you will be better off with a Tivo. HTPCs are best for computer geeks that like to tinker, as they are unfortunately not a "set it and forget it" type of appliance. They will need constant care and feeding. It's like owning a dog.
dfkimbro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page