Win10 Upgrade Issues with Media Center and HDHomerun HDHR-3 US Compatiibility - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmelan

post #1 of 5 Old 10-29-2016, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Win10 Upgrade Issues with Media Center and HDHomerun HDHR-3 US Compatiibility

Upgrading to windows 10 has really crippled my HTPC network. I still have the main HTPC on windows 7 thank goodness.

Here's my situation: I have 2 laptops that I would use to access the recorded TV from the main host HTPC. All PC's and laptops are on the same home group and I could map the recorded TV location to the host PC.

I updated the 2 laptops to Win10 and successfully installed Windows Media Center per the howtogeek article. This actually worked well for a couple of months. Now Windows media center has removed itself, without my permission, from my 2 windows 10 laptops! My whole HTPC ecosystem is nearly shut down

My options are either to roll back to win7 on the laptops, or find a Windows media center alternative that will provide the same DVR functionality I currently have with my HDHOmerun3 - US and windows media center. I was quite happy with DVR and live tv funvtionality in windows media center and don't think I'm ready to give up on it yet. Plus my wife is used to it.

I have loaded Kodi on one laptop and their DVR app doesnt't support my ~4-5 year old HDHomerun so I'd have to get a newer hdhr apparently.

I'm looking for any support or suggestions. Has anyone else encountered this? I can also try re-installing media center per the howtogeek instructions again.

Last edited by chomdh; 10-29-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-29-2016, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Anniversary update removed the 'hacked' version WMC from Win10. There is no official WMC support in Win10. So why should they ask your permission to remove the pirated copy of it.

On the other hand, you really don't need WMC if all you need is to playback the non-DRMed recordings from other PC. There are plenty of media players that support *.wtv file playbacks. And you maybe able to use HDHR View app to view live TVs (not sure if your particular tuner is supported).

Last edited by Foxbat121; 10-29-2016 at 02:27 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-29-2016, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
just roll back to win 7 if you need WMC

however, as stated above, seeing as you are using a laptop to access your recordings and that means they are not DRM protected, you can pretty much access the recordings with anything you want (Kodi, Plex, etc)
Gator99 likes this.

post #4 of 5 Old 10-30-2016, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

I would also like live TV pause, rewind, 1.5 speed playback, etc on the laptops. Not just watching recordings from the main PC.

What's the easiest way to roll back to windows 7? Or is it best to re-install from the CD?
post #5 of 5 Old 11-05-2016, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have advice on what the best alternative to windows media center is in my situation?

I'm looking for DVR functionality with guide, for use with my OTA antenna and HDHR3-US HDHomerun.

So far I havent found anything other than HDHR software and Windows 7 media center that work with my HDHR3-US. Kodi does not support my HDHR3-US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page