New wireless router reccomendations ?? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #31 of 84 Old 11-03-2016, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Another very satisfied Ubiquiti user here. I'll admit that I have probably gone a little overboard with about $30k invested at this point on their gear. Granted, a large portion of that is my 20kW solar array that I'm currently installing.

Anyway, on the wireless router front, I tried various solutions from NetGear and TPLink, but they all had one issue or another and keeping them updated was a pain. My house is pretty big, so I had to use several APs to cover everything, plus I wanted access outdoors and at my shop located 200 feet away from the main building. I also wanted to connect my network to my mom's house about 1 mile down the road, and run an AP there as well.

I also ran pfSense for a while, but really wanted a one-stop solution, so Ubiquiti's UniFi was it for me. I run their Pro Gateway, several of their PoE switches, and AC APs (and some older LR ones as well). I even have a 10GigE between my main media server and the core UniFi switch. Also run Ubiquiti G3 security cams.

For the 200' shot down to the shop, I use a pair of airMAX devices, which, for all intents, is like a wireless Ethernet cable. For the 1 mile shot to mom's house, I got a dark fiber connection with a pair of 850nm transceivers on either end connected direct to SFP ports on the UniFi switches. Rock solid GigE connection.

I just love the ability to manage and maintain the entire network from a single pane, namely the UniFi controller. As others have stated, it doesn't have to be running for the APs to be functional, but I like keeping it running at all times (on my media server) so that I can gather stats from client usage, etc.

Last edited by pclausen; 11-03-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 84 Old 11-03-2016, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1723 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Their firewall solutions are cheap and work very well. If they would add geolocation blocking, I'd be in. Geoblocking is the main reason I stick with Sophos UTM.
post #33 of 84 Old 11-07-2016, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2698
This thread has given me exactly the info I needed. Thanks!

post #34 of 84 Old 11-15-2016, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
If you want AC, What about ASUS RT-AC5300? Heard thats good
post #35 of 84 Old 11-15-2016, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had fairly good results with ASUS routers. Enough to recommend them http://pc4u.org/best-wireless-router-buying-guide/
post #36 of 84 Old 11-16-2016, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I'm not familiar with the Ubiquiti UniFi, which looks really nice, but I've reviewed a lot of routers for different manufacturers' over the last few years. I just got done reviewing a TP-Link Archer C5400. I was impressed with its speed and the fact that it was tri-band (2 x 5GHz & 1 x 2.4GHz). It also allows for simultaneous transmission of data on each band as opposed to sending data one band at a time. The router automatically provisions devices on different bands to maximize throughput. It basically handles load balancing.
Mfusick likes this.
post #37 of 84 Old 11-16-2016, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2698
I still have not bought anything. I guess I should decide which router to buy first.
post #38 of 84 Old 11-16-2016, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This is a good buy. I got one last time on sale. I am running stock T-mobile firmware and it works well.

http://www.t-mobile.com/accessories/...ls+LLC&irgwc=1
post #39 of 84 Old 11-17-2016, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello,

Another satisfied Ubiquiti user here.

I work in IT and one of my clients has a couple of tricky manufacturing sites, lots of metal, thick walls, steel beams and a tone of electrical noise from big CNC machines. The sites have always been a Wi-Fi nightmare. Moved over to Ubiquiti AP's around 2 years ago and I have literally installed one in every workshop and office. Fantastic coverage, far lower cost than their previous 'industrial' solution and easier to manage. Have moved over to Ubiquiti from Draytek in my home, using Edgerouter X as my router, which delivers insane levels of functionality for under 100 UKP, than have a pair of Ap-AC-LR's for upstairs and downstairs, which are pwoerful enough to give me a good signal in my garden.

I have the controller software running permanently on the Windows 7 VM which runs my Plex server, but you can also buy their cloudkey controller which is a full Linux mini PC in a stick which plugs into a Cat 5 socket and that's under £100.

Have since installed Ubiquiti UniFi Ap's in a couple of friends homes and they're also delighted with performance. The fact they're PoE so you don't need a mains socket nearby is a bonus.

Hope this helps.
post #40 of 84 Old 11-17-2016, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Reminder: You don't need the controller software running except when making changes, or if you have a captive portal set up.
post #41 of 84 Old 11-19-2016, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 2790
I am also a fan of Ubiquity wifi: I use four Pro WAP's (one is outside) to cover a 5500 sq ft home with excellent results: just got the Edge router and about to install it.

recently I tried out the new AmpliFi Mesh system: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it is nice but does not approach the performance or range of the Pro series

The mesh system consists of a main unit which can also serve as a router (with limited controls done through an IOS or Android app) and two mesh extenders: you can have up to 4 extenders per system
However the fine print says the extenders, which use Bluetooth to communicate, must be within 30 feet of the main unit, they can be daisy chained but you take a hit in performance.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
post #42 of 84 Old 11-19-2016, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Mikrotik is another good option. These are some of the most reliable and fastest routers out there. They don't need a dedicated computer to configure. Their win box app runs on any Windows pc and is used to configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #43 of 84 Old 11-20-2016, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie789 View Post
Mikrotik is another good option. These are some of the most reliable and fastest routers out there. They don't need a dedicated computer to configure. Their win box app runs on any Windows pc and is used to configuration.
If you are implying that the Ubiquiti pro series APs require a dedicated computer, they do not. Any Windows or Linux PC can be used, and once configured is not needed anymore. I think this is the third time I've noted this now, the last time about three posts up.
markrubin and Newbie789 like this.
post #44 of 84 Old 03-04-2017, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I just changed my internet service to Xfinity. Had ATT with their crummy 3.0 speed, the Xfinity is 25. Its noticeably faster, but my router is still in the back of the house, making the signal in the front ok but still not as goos as I want.

I am not tech savvy, so Ubiquiti sounds like a pain to install. I've heard of Amplify and it sounds simple to install. I would have the router in the back of the house, 1 mesh point in the front where my 4K and laptop get a lot of use, and the other mesh point in the back bedroom.

For those that have Amplify, what kind of improvement have you seen? Would this be worth it? I still get some buffering when streaming. Thanks...
post #45 of 84 Old 03-04-2017, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Also......

What is the difference between an extender and this system??
post #46 of 84 Old 03-05-2017, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Toss the consumer router and use pfSense and get some access points.
I realize this is a bumped older thread but pfSense is amazing. I ended up buying something similar to a NUC to run pfSense and then installed Squid, LiquidSquid, Snort, ClamAV (antivirus) and a few other services. I was using Netgear Nighthawks as my DHCP, but then I turned it into an AP point with another unit in my house. I bought a Dell managed 24 port switch and I'm now running Modem > pfsense > switch > AP and all wired computers. It's an amazing setup and I highly recommend pfSense. To be honest, it's a bit of a learning curve to get everything set up right and to use the proper white/block list and such, but they have a great forum and you can learn a lot quickly.

It's so nice having a site you can log into and control everything wifi and have a front line firewall/AV that can block almost anything. Plus, with kids, you can control devices and their accessibility.
post #47 of 84 Old 03-07-2017, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz P View Post
Also......

What is the difference between an extender and this system??
An extender uses the same radio as your wireless devices to communicate back to the main access point, therefore your bandwidth is 1/2 speed.
post #48 of 84 Old 03-07-2017, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
An extender uses the same radio as your wireless devices to communicate back to the main access point, therefore your bandwidth is 1/2 speed.
Which is something to avoid unless there is no other option.

post #49 of 84 Old 03-13-2017, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Was looking at the Ubiquitis , seems like alot of new terminology to me. I still have a DIR-655 that I bought ages ago. I've had dropouts lately.
What would you guys recommend for urban area, 1000 sq ft apartment ? Family of 5 with lots of toys. I seem to be the only one that insists on always being wired,, kids an wifey do wireless 95%of the time.
post #50 of 84 Old 03-14-2017, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0R0 View Post
Was looking at the Ubiquitis , seems like a lot of new terminology to me. I still have a DIR-655 that I bought ages ago. I've had dropouts lately.
What would you guys recommend for urban area, 1000 sq ft apartment ? Family of 5 with lots of toys. I seem to be the only one that insists on always being wired,, kids an wifey do wireless 95%of the time.
I have two Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO in my house. I started with one on the top floor and got another for the basement I'm finishing. They are pretty easy to set up. I don't think it is much more complicated than setting up any off the shelf router. Probably the only difference is that you use their software, it sees local APs, then you adopt it into your mesh. On my second one it was there to adopt, I selected Adopt, and that was it. It automatically inherited the WiFi info and passcode of my network.

post #51 of 84 Old 03-14-2017, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Was looking at the Ubiquitis , seems like alot of new terminology to me. I still have a DIR-655 that I bought ages ago. I've had dropouts lately.
Since you live in an apartment I would suggest this:
https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wirele...words=dlink+ap

I have one centrally located in my house and it works great.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #52 of 84 Old 03-14-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I have two Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO in my house. I started with one on the top floor and got another for the basement I'm finishing. They are pretty easy to set up. I don't think it is much more complicated than setting up any off the shelf router. Probably the only difference is that you use their software, it sees local APs, then you adopt it into your mesh. On my second one it was there to adopt, I selected Adopt, and that was it. It automatically inherited the WiFi info and passcode of my network.
UAP-AC-PRO are access points tho right? You still need a router for these. My apartment isn't that big and it's all on one level. And the closet everything is in is centrally located so I don't think I need to extend my coverage.
However if I get one of their routers, I'd still need one of their AP for wireless correct?
So I'd need the Edge Router X and 1 UAP-AC-PRO.

That DIR-655 has lasted me close to 8 years
post #53 of 84 Old 03-14-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
UAP-AC-PRO are access points tho right? You still need a router for these. My apartment isn't that big and it's all on one level. And the closet everything is in is centrally located so I don't think I need to extend my coverage.
However if I get one of their routers, I'd still need one of their AP for wireless correct?
So I'd need the Edge Router X and 1 UAP-AC-PRO.

That DIR-655 has lasted me close to 8 years
You don't need their router. Any router will work. I use pfSense.

post #54 of 84 Old 03-15-2017, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You could even use your DLink and turn off the AP radios.
post #55 of 84 Old 03-15-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
You could even use your DLink and turn off the AP radios.
And get 1 UAC AP Pro,, hmmm good idea.... but the DLink is dropping signals every so often. And correct me if I'm wrong but I wouldn't be able to get 5ghz (no 5ghz on DLink)

Does the pps and sfp matter on the router specs (as it applies to streaming and gaming) ? Just trying to determine which router to get from them
post #56 of 84 Old 03-15-2017, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

But what is dropping, the wifi portion or the router portion? If the router part is still good, you can just turn off the access point (wifi) in the unit and just use it as a router. The fact it doesn't have 5GHz doesn't have anything to do with what the Ubiquiti can do, as it is taking over your Wifi duties completely.

The PPS isn't going to matter for home use. You aren't going to overdrive it. SFP is a slot for adding things such as fiber cards, etc. It's doubtful that you would need this for home use unless you are some sort of power user.
post #57 of 84 Old 03-15-2017, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Really any wifi router will do to cover 1000 square feet. You don't need UAP-AC-PRO. You need to understand how wifi works. Buying wifi access point or wifi router that includes 5 GHz band will only fix your issue temporaly. Wifi routers that includes 5 GHz is in people's price range and $300 mobile device are including it. This means eventually the 5 GHz band will be congested just like 2.4 GHz. What you need to do is use a mobile device or any wifi device that has trouble and use it to test the wifi when switching through each channel for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. If you have an Android device, use Wifi Analyser. It will give you an idea want channels are being used and what are not used. There is always going to be loud wifi douches. Sure you can find out where it is coming from, but you one those people that saids turn down that stereo. I live in the subburbs. My neighbor's wifi is -50 dB in my place. I took me 3 hours to go through all the channels for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz to find the best one on each band. You live in an apartment, so expect wifi congestion in both bands. You could put up wallpaper with foil in it and ground the foil wallpaper to the outlet. This may not be family safe.
post #58 of 84 Old 03-16-2017, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknurd View Post
Really any wifi router will do to cover 1000 square feet. You don't need UAP-AC-PRO. You need to understand how wifi works. Buying wifi access point or wifi router that includes 5 GHz band will only fix your issue temporaly. Wifi routers that includes 5 GHz is in people's price range and $300 mobile device are including it. This means eventually the 5 GHz band will be congested just like 2.4 GHz. What you need to do is use a mobile device or any wifi device that has trouble and use it to test the wifi when switching through each channel for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. If you have an Android device, use Wifi Analyser. It will give you an idea want channels are being used and what are not used. There is always going to be loud wifi douches. Sure you can find out where it is coming from, but you one those people that saids turn down that stereo. I live in the subburbs. My neighbor's wifi is -50 dB in my place. I took me 3 hours to go through all the channels for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz to find the best one on each band. You live in an apartment, so expect wifi congestion in both bands. You could put up wallpaper with foil in it and ground the foil wallpaper to the outlet. This may not be family safe.
So are you one of the asshats that put their 2.4GHz on channel 3?
post #59 of 84 Old 03-18-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
But what is dropping, the wifi portion or the router portion? If the router part is still good, you can just turn off the access point (wifi) in the unit and just use it as a router.
Good question,my guess is that it's the router itself because my LG was wired directly to router and I expirienced the dropouts, tho they seem to happen alot on the wirless devices. I'm hoping it's not my SB6141 modem I bought many a year ago. But honestly I haven't really had time to nail down the culprit.
We just finished today running all the wires.
post #60 of 84 Old 03-18-2017, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknurd View Post
You could put up wallpaper with foil in it and ground the foil wallpaper to the outlet. This may not be family safe.
I can't imagine what would posses someone to give such ineffective and potentially harmful advice.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page