HDMI Sync Problem with hardware decoding - any thoughts on why? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-09-2016, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
HDMI Sync Problem with hardware decoding - any thoughts on why?

I've long had HDMI sync issues from several HTPCs that would cause my sony projector to shut off. I could reliably get the projector to shut off after 40-50 minutes of video playback. Tried several PC configurations, nvidia GPU, ATI, Intel - they all seemed to have the problem. Software I used included powerdvd, vlc, mpc-hc - all had the problem.

In talking to Sony they told me to get a sony blu-ray player - and sure enough for the past year that blu-ray player has not once shut the projector off. But it also can't play all the files I've got so I still use the HTPC - and live with the uncontrolled shutdown.

I recently made a change to PowerDVD and switched from Hardware decoding to Software decoding - and this has seemed to fix the problem - going on 20 hrs and no shut downs.

I was wondering if anyone was an HDMI/HDCP guru and might explain what may be different in hardware decoding vs the software decoder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-10-2016, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
And I don't know how or why that would affect the output connectivity. Software decoding simply uses cpu power to decode, while hardware decoding offloads the work to the gpu. The result of the decoding should be the same.

The difference between an HTPC and a standalone device would be the ability to alter the actual output. A standalone device is only going to output specific TV formats (ie: 480P/720/1080P), while an HTPC doesn't have that restriction even though that is typically how you configure it anyway. Depending on configuration, the issue is likely to be fps related and not resolution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page