Connection help needed - thought I was a pro - am not. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-21-2016, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Connection help needed - thought I was a pro - am not.

Hey guys!

I need some help from this fine community you have here!
The last time I tinkered with home AV was about 5 years ago.

At that time I set everything up with my PC, AVR + 5.1 setup, PS3 and FRESH NEW 1080p TV, bitstreaming from the PC to the TV over HDMI 1.3, playing games on the PS3, everything running on the TV and 5.1 speakers through the AVR!

It all worked beautifully up until a couple of days ago when I tore everything apart having come into some new gear!
Namely - a PS4 Slim, a UHD TV (LG 55UH661V-ZF) and some new PC components (ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX, Intel i5 4590 CPU), and a 144hz monitor coming soon.
The one thing I haven't replaced is my good ol' AVR - the Yamaha RX-V467, and the Harman Kardon 5.1 speaker setup.

Now - why am I coming to you guys?

I need help connecting everything.

Not the physical connections - I can run cables myself, but how I should set up everything now that my PC monitor and TV have different resolutions, framerates, needs etc.

This is everything I have - visualised:

http://i.imgur.com/Uh3U9Ra.png

Now, on to what I want to do:

1. Game on the TV with the PS4, with sound coming through my 5.1 setup (so decoding of sound done in the AVR)

2. Stream content to the TV (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO, Youtube) - in 4K.

3. Play content from my PC's HDD (mostly 2160p and 1080p .mkvs) - this one is important as (living in Serbia) sometimes that's the only way to get some shows etc.

4. Game on my PC using the (soon to arrive) 144hz monitor.

- All the while have all three monitors, PS4, AVR and the TV connected, so no cable fiddling while devices are live.

What is the best way to set everything up, I'm new to HDMI 2.0 (don't have any of those cables), HDR (10 bit at that), HDR Pro (LG's version of 10bit HDR i believe), optical audio out (I know my TV can do it), as well as network streaming - having done all my streaming straight from the PC to the AVR via HDMI 1.3.

Now - everything but the 144Hz monitor I have right now.

The only gear I'm considering buying in the near future being a NAS for network storage, if my TV can stream 2160p from it, a new network router if all of this can be done through WiFi (which I highly doubt), as I've read my new TV has 802.11AC (not N) and (MAYBE) a PS4 Pro to game in 4K on the TV (I wasn't planning on getting a 4K television yet but moving to a new place got me there early).

Neglected to mention - my current internet speed is around 50Mbits, but can go up to 70 or 100 if needed.
Sorry for the super long post, couldn't figure out a way to put it into fewer words, and thanks for any and all help, much appreciated.

TL;DR got new stuff - need setup help and ideas.

Last edited by dejanribic; 12-22-2016 at 12:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-21-2016, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Your AVR looks to have four HDMI 1.4 inputs. Use them and then use the HDMI out to the TV. Use the AVR's settings to extract the audio to the speakers connected thereto. You won't get the UHD right now but ask yourself if you really need it. If you wan that you need to keep going and replace the AVR too.

You could go HDMI to the TV to playback UHD content from the sources and switch there but you'll be limited to Optical out on the audio and that means no lossless audio.

Pick your poison.

post #3 of 10 Old 12-21-2016, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejanribic View Post
Hey guys!

I need some help from this fine of corner of reddit you have here!

Am I missing something, or did OP simply copy-paste from a post in another potential source of help?

post #4 of 10 Old 12-22-2016, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

Am I missing something, or did OP simply copy-paste from a post in another potential source of help?
I created similar posts on a few forums AND reddit - so yes, you are right, I neglected to delete that part, my bad.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-22-2016, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Your AVR looks to have four HDMI 1.4 inputs. Use them and then use the HDMI out to the TV. Use the AVR's settings to extract the audio to the speakers connected thereto. You won't get the UHD right now but ask yourself if you really need it. If you wan that you need to keep going and replace the AVR too.

You could go HDMI to the TV to playback UHD content from the sources and switch there but you'll be limited to Optical out on the audio and that means no lossless audio.

Pick your poison.
Fair enough, it seems upon further research that I will in fact need to replace my AVR as well.
Does the Yamaha RX-V481 sound like a good option? Forgive me - I've been out of the AVR world for some time.
Thanks for your help!
post #6 of 10 Old 12-22-2016, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejanribic View Post
I created similar posts on a few forums AND reddit - so yes, you are right, I neglected to delete that part, my bad.
No problem. Always good to shop around. I'd be interested to see if Reddit is a good source of info for my own use too.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-22-2016, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No problem. Always good to shop around. I'd be interested to see if Reddit is a good source of info for my own use too.
Well, for now people are telling mainly the same thing I've heard here - a new AVR is the way to go!
Here's a handy link: https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater..._a_pro_am_not/
post #8 of 10 Old 12-22-2016, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can also get a 4K compatible HDMI switch/matrix with two outputs and several inputs for the time-being. Have all the sources feeding into it and one output to TV for video and one to AVR for sound.

Something like this, but with 4 inputs and two outputs, instead of the two inputs and four outputs this one has.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Or get these in series:
And then this:
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13705

Cumbersome, but total cost is under $100, even if you buy a couple of decent HDMI cables too.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-23-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Decent HDMI cables cost $5.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-24-2016, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You can also get a 4K compatible HDMI switch/matrix with two outputs and several inputs for the time-being. Have all the sources feeding into it and one output to TV for video and one to AVR for sound.

Something like this, but with 4 inputs and two outputs, instead of the two inputs and four outputs this one has.

Or get these in series:
And then this:
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13705

Cumbersome, but total cost is under $100, even if you buy a couple of decent HDMI cables too.
They are quite cool, but in order to cut down on general clutter and cables etc. - I've decided on getting the AVR just so everything is nicely hubbed and for future-proofing.
Now, besides that I'm going to invest in my third and final monitor, and this is the setup I have planned for the displays:

I'm hoping that will work fine, plugging four displays into the GPU will be interesting!

As for my general setup, this is what I have planned out!

If anyone can see any faults or has any ideas, I would much appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Decent HDMI cables cost $5.
Excellent! Can you tell me how to differentiate between the old HDMI cables and the new HDMI 2.0a ones?

Thanks!

Last edited by dejanribic; 12-24-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page