How to take 7.1 pre-outs from HTPC to AVR? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 3 Unread 02-10-2017, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How to take 7.1 pre-outs from HTPC to AVR?

Hello,

My AVR (Pioneer Elite 47TX) cannot decode the modern DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD formats. I am otherwise very happy with this unit. Rather than spending money on replacing it, I would like to explore options which would allow me to send decoded signals as 7.1 "pre" outs from my HTPC, that I could then feed to 7.1 pre-in's of my AVR.

What would be a good economical way to obtain 7.1 pre-outs from HTPC while playing movies etc through video players like VLC, PowerDVD, etc?

Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Unread 02-10-2017, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 399
if your mother board has 7.1 analog audio out, you just connect them (with appropriate cables). Otherwise, you will have to purchase a soundcard that that has the 7.1 analog out. Keep in mind, when you use 7.1 pre-in on your AVR, all processing including bass management will be bypassed. You are solely dependent on your PC to do bass management.
post #3 of 3 Unread Today, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
You will eventually want a separate sound card, not the on-board audio output. A sound card will be superior to the analog audio outputs on any motherboard. Except for bitstreaming, on-board audio on motherboards are very noisy and sound inferior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers