High End/Dual DVI Video Cards & Xeon Processors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-28-2003, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am looking to buy a new HTPC and was wondering if it is worth it to purchase one of the high-end video cards and/or a Xeon processor. Dell offers the following card options with their Precision systems:

3Dlabs® Wildcat4TM 7110 (AGP 8X, 256MB)

NVIDIATM Quadro® FX 1000, (AGP 8X, 128MB)

ATITM FireGLTM X1 (AGP 8X, 128MB)

NVIDIATM Quadro4 900XGL (128MB)

I like the idea of dual-DVI that some of them have. I haven't seen much discussion of them, so I am going to guess that they aren't worth it. Should I spring for one of them or am I just wasting money? Same question for a Xeon processor.

Thanks for the advice. :)

The grapes are free!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-28-2003, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to have to say that it's a waste of money. Just use two video cards, that way in the future you'll have an easier upgrade path. For instance buy a high end AGP card (ATI 9800 Pro or so) and then buy a lower end PCI card with DVI. This way when the your 9800 pro can't cut it any more you can just upgrade that card and leave the PCI. Should cost you much less in the long run and short run

The xeon processors are definitely overkill. A dual system would be cool if you're going to be doing a lot of recording and work at the same time. Otherwise I don't really see a benefit. Stick to the plain P4's, it'll save you a lot of cash.
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page