Kodi Audio Passthrough not working w Atmos HTPC; but PC Gaming works w Atmos - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Movie78
  • 1 Post By bulls
  • 1 Post By Verge2
  • 1 Post By Anderhan

post #1 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Kodi Audio Passthrough not working w Atmos HTPC; but PC Gaming works w Atmos

Denon avr x3300w - 5.2.2 (2 heights)
HTPC w/ HDMI
Kodi 17.0

I happen to have SW Battlefront - and when I play it, the Receiver properly displays Atmos (and boy does it sound great)! So no issues w/ the equipment itself.

However in Kodi, I open a number of movies and their appropriate format is displayed on the Receiver, Dolby, DTS, DTS HD, etc. But when I try to test out my John Wick or Hacksaw Ridge Atmos file which I'm 100% is Atmos capable, the receiver doesn't doesn't change. It stays as "Multi Ch" which is nothing special and the same format when navigating Kodi.

A couple of oddities idk if related - I downloaded one of those 45 second "Atmos experience" demos and try to open it with VLC or WMP, and I get no audio, just video. Then when I use the Windows speaker setup/test, it plays the height/rear sound out of the side.

Point me in the right direction. I'm hoping tomorrow is movie night w/ Hacksaw Ridge and want the full experience .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedawg85 View Post
HTPC w/ HDMI
Kodi 17.0

I happen to have SW Battlefront - and when I play it, the Receiver properly displays Atmos (and boy does it sound great)! So no issues w/ the equipment itself.

However in Kodi, I open a number of movies and their appropriate format is displayed on the Receiver, Dolby, DTS, DTS HD, etc. But when I try to test out my John Wick or Hacksaw Ridge Atmos file which I'm 100% is Atmos capable, the receiver doesn't doesn't change. It stays as "Multi Ch" which is nothing special and the same format when navigating Kodi.

A couple of oddities idk if related - I downloaded one of those 45 second "Atmos experience" demos and try to open it with VLC or WMP, and I get no audio, just video. Then when I use the Windows speaker setup/test, it plays the height/rear sound out of the side.

Point me in the right direction. I'm hoping tomorrow is movie night w/ Hacksaw Ridge and want the full experience .
Maybe the torrent you downloaded isn't really atmos?

Why not buy the blu-ray when it comes out next week? I bet it actually works right.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

Why not buy the blu-ray when it comes out next week? I bet it actually works right.
He's tried other files besides Hacksaw Ridge including Atmos demo files, I don't think this will solve the issue...

post #4 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
He's tried other files besides Hacksaw Ridge including Atmos demo files, I don't think this will solve the issue...
I bet it freaking will.

Play the actual legal atmos copy of John wick in power DVD and I bet 100% his atmos starts working.

It's like stealing bread and bitching when it doesn't taste very good.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
HTPC w/ HDMI
Kodi 17.0

Point me in the right direction. I'm hoping tomorrow is movie night w/ Hacksaw Ridge and want the full experience.
Hacksaw Ridge is not released yet so I can not make any comments but I have John Wick in ATMOS and does work in Kodi.

Make sure to check your Audio output settings in Kodi
chirpie and stevedawg85 like this.

OLD SETUP:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...r-theater.html
NEW SETUP: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?...856#pid2506856
LG 75UH8500 3D DOLBY VISION HDR | SONY 43 ANDROID TV HDR
XBOX ONE S UHD BLU-RAY | PS4 PRO 4K HDR GAMING
MARANTZ SR7011 DTS X | ATMOS 5.1.4 | Auro-3D 9.1
post #6 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thnx Movie78 - I'm pretty sure I have all those checked off. Especially since all other formats are working. But I'll go back and double check when I can.

Verge2 - You do know stores make mistakes and release items early. Did you miss the news about the Nintendo Switch released a full 2 weeks early.

Anyways, I'll try to get a log and do a bit more testing w/ the settings and report back.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Verge2 - You do know stores make mistakes and release items early. Did you miss the news about the Nintendo Switch released a full 2 weeks early.

Really bro? That's how you're gonna play this. Just own up and edit your post.

Atmos works fine in kodi via bitstreaming. The problem is your content.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Thnx Movie78 - I'm pretty sure I have all those checked off. Especially since all other formats are working. But I'll go back and double check when I can.

Anyways, I'll try to get a log and do a bit more testing w/ the settings and report back.
Download a different copy of your movie. There is no reason for Atmos to not work in Kodi.

post #9 of 16 Old 02-18-2017, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
Hacksaw Ridge is not released yet so I can not make any comments but I have John Wick in ATMOS and does work in Kodi.

Make sure to check your Audio output settings in Kodi
this more or less turned out to be the issue. I didn't realize I had to set up audio passthrough twice, once at the top and again in the middle. So I enabled the 2nd option and yup, had to check off everything else. Tested it out and bam! works like a charm.

Thanks all!
post #10 of 16 Old 02-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 39
u best change your player dude !!
i dont think they have kodi in the bighouse, verge2 got you tracked for them federales and everyhing...
you gonna be listening in MONO for a few years son
HTPCenthusiast likes this.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-20-2017, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post
u best change your player dude !!
i dont think they have kodi in the bighouse, verge2 got you tracked for them federales and everyhing...
you gonna be listening in MONO for a few years son

The only surround sound this perp will get, is the cold prison steel.

HTPCenthusiast likes this.
post #12 of 16 Old Yesterday, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

So, Your advice is to just buy the blu ray instead of finding a solution that works moving forward.

Why even waste the time to even type that garbage?!?!?!
Cory Gillmore likes this.
post #13 of 16 Old Yesterday, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I bet it freaking will.

Play the actual legal atmos copy of John wick in power DVD and I bet 100% his atmos starts working.

It's like stealing bread and bitching when it doesn't taste very good.

why always go to the "he must be stealing" route? Maybe he has this problem with ALL content on KODI Like myself. I am looking for a solution I can apply to several problems I am having with sound in Kodi hopefully. Lots of time wasters here I see. LOL
post #14 of 16 Old Yesterday, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderhan View Post
why always go to the "he must be stealing" route? Maybe he has this problem with ALL content on KODI Like myself. I am looking for a solution I can apply to several problems I am having with sound in Kodi hopefully. Lots of time wasters here I see. LOL
1. What solution are you looking for?

2. Did you steal your content as well?
post #15 of 16 Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 238
It also didn't help that the movie he wanted to play wasn't even released yet on Blu-Ray. It's kind of obvious what the situation is. And AVS takes a very dim view of "downloading" movies without paying for them.

Of course, it could be a legitimate rip, since that is allowed to a limited extent, though thrpe suggestion is usually to a re-rip.

Bottom line is to just be quiet if you did not obtain your movie legitimately, and try on a legitimately obtained movie. And the people are generally smart enough to realize when the movie was not obtained legitimately. Yes, people have asked about 4k movie rips of questionable origin as well, only to be found out.
post #16 of 16 Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
1. What solution are you looking for?

2. Did you steal your content as well?

Ummm setting up passthrough audio correctly? Which someone else already helped him do did. Which fixed his problem. Meaning you were wrong.

I have downloaded copies of every single movie I buy. It used to be easier to rip them from disc, not so much anymore.

Sony 65" 850D, Onkyo TX-NR757, Klipsch 7.2, R-28F/2, R-25C/1, R-15M/4, R-12SW/2, HTPC Intel i7, SLI EVGA 980Ti SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers