My "exciting" ATI/865PEchipset/Hyperthreading/Tira story - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 102 Old 07-16-2003, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It only tells you that there is a conflict between the system and the tv app. You can try setting the tv app to a higher priority by right clicking on the process. You can debug the process but that is beyond my capabilities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 102 Old 07-16-2003, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by midiboy
DustinF:

Have you even bothered looking for others maybe having driver install problems too ? You certainly act like you work for ATI because you never even acknowlege that at one point or another ATI or anyone else could be responsible for the problems but myself.

Why don´t you look over at Rage3D for instance see this thread. It clearly shows that someone else had the exact same driver installation problems I had with the Radeon 9600 card.

Of course this guy too has faulty hardware because cleary you go by the saying: "If I haven´t heard of it, it doesn´t exist!" I am getting soooo mad at you ! :mad:

I am sure at one point in time I may finde someone else having my freezing problems. In fact there are a few people on the Asus boards forum moaning about system freezes with TV cards and HT enabled using ATI cards. So maybe, just MAYBE I am not causing those freezes by using faulty hardware or my inferior knowledge.

I would suggest not fighting anymore about this. Believe what you want, I will do the same. No need to agree on this matter.

@tbshooter:

Well, under the processes tab it does not say if a process crashed or anything and under the programs tab, the only program running is the videoplayer/TV app and it also does not say " does not respond or anything", the system simply freezes up.

I tried all voltage settings from auto to 2.85 for memory, all the AGP voltages and quite a few processor voltages. Did not change anything.

I recently tried older BIOS versions for my mainboard because a guy at the Rage 3D forum who claims he has similar problems suggested that a very old BIOS version did the trick for him. Unfortunately it did not help me.

Stefan, Xayd, I certainly agree with your statements and observations. I will try to keep looking for others with similar problems. There may be some after all even though their problems are slightly different ( for instance, only freezes if TV card is present etc. )

Once again, thanks for your help !
Alex
Midiboy's not alone. I'm suffering from system freezes as well. Sometimes when running my MyHD 120 card, sometimes when doing nothing.
post #93 of 102 Old 07-16-2003, 12:41 PM

Liked: 28
I'm not trying to offend you, but your chasing bullets.

You say the system locks up with a base system with no extra cards attached.

Don't troubleshoot other cards when a base set doesn't even work.

And no, I don't work for ATI, nor am I trying to defend ATI. This very well could be a faulty video card.
post #94 of 102 Old 09-11-2003, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Hi !

In case anyone is still interested in this matter, I am posting a short update. I have found my permanent solution to this matter and it is called Matrox P650.

Not only does it offer dual DVI outputs and desktop sharpness is increased over the Radeon, it also works perfectly (even better than the Radeon) in a HTPC setup using my Sim2 HT300+ and it does not freeze the system when Hyperthreading is activated.

I have had the Matrox P650 for ten days now. During those 10 days I have thrown each and every stability test at it I could find. On the exact same setup where the Radeon would freeze the system instantly, the Matrox performed flawless, as did the Geforce cards by the way.

You guys can say what you want, that my system is broken, whatever, the fact remains that this system works perfectly with either a Geforce or a Matrox video card present but freezes with at least 3 different ATI cards I tried.

Ati still denies that there is a problem but hey ... I don´t care anymore, the Matrox P650 is even better, at least for desktop and HTPC use.

Thats it for me then :-) At least for now.
Thank you all for your help!
Alex
post #95 of 102 Old 09-11-2003, 10:43 AM

until the majority of software and drivers out there are written to support multiprocessing, i suggest staying away from any type of multiprocessing. my last system was a dual pIII 933 and from time to time i too found little irritating problems caused by smp. i have a very similar setup with the 8ik1100 and p4 2.4GhzC and i kept HT off because I know my HiPix card has problems with having smp. It does work well if you only use devices and programs that support it and NVIDIA optimized their cards and drivers for SMP a long time ago GF3
post #96 of 102 Old 09-11-2003, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

midiboy,

I've read most of this thread on and off, and I just wanted to say that I completely believe you.

I can understand why others may have doubted your troubleshooting technique, but I suspect that was mostly a communication issue.

There was one possible thing which I think you took as a constant, and that was that the problem didn't have anything to do with the CPU. But I would agree with you that the CPU is an unlikely candidate.

As for SMT causing driver problems - completely believable. In fact, very likely in my mind... especially drivers as complex as the Radeon ones must be. The funny thing about concurrency issues... they can occur in one setup continually, while never *ever* occurring in a different setup. Evil bugs to track down and fix.

Glad you worked it out!
Martin.
post #97 of 102 Old 09-12-2003, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Martin, pmerritt:

yeah, you both are certainly right. What I do not understand is ATI´s missing interest in finding and solving this issue. They did not care at all about this issue, which to me is the most disappointing experience in this matter.

Quote:
I can understand why others may have doubted your troubleshooting technique, but I suspect that was mostly a communication issue.
Maybe. I am sorry for having been a bit emotional at times. :)

Best wishes,
Alex
post #98 of 102 Old 09-12-2003, 08:27 AM

first and foremost, if your not running xp, then hyperthreading should be turned off. hyperthreading is only supported by xp. it will cause instability and decrease performance in all other windows operating systems. second of all, with any new chipset, you MUST keep up to date with bios revisions, with every new bios, performance increases, and compatability issues are reduced. id bet a million bucks that those who are having problems with hyperthreading are all running windows 98 or 2000 and/or have never flashed the bios to the latest version.
post #99 of 102 Old 09-12-2003, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Update on my case. Catalyst 3.7 seems better than older drivers. My system is now working without any problems for 3 days. I'm not 100% sure. My system sometimes locked up after 2 weeks use.
post #100 of 102 Old 09-12-2003, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
first and foremost, if your not running xp, then hyperthreading should be turned off. hyperthreading is only supported by xp. it will cause instability and decrease performance in all other windows operating systems. second of all, with any new chipset, you MUST keep up to date with bios revisions, with every new bios, performance increases, and compatability issues are reduced. id bet a million bucks that those who are having problems with hyperthreading are all running windows 98 or 2000 and/or have never flashed the bios to the latest version.
NatGun:

you defnitely have not read any of my messages, right ?

:D

Alex
post #101 of 102 Old 10-09-2003, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Just an update.

Catalyst 3.8 has VPU Recover feature. It saved my PC once from black out lock-up problem. :D Wish my error report helps their investigation and ATi fixes the problem from the source.
post #102 of 102 Old 10-09-2003, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Alex, I have a similar setup to you....

Asus p4c800 deluxe, p2.8 oc to 3.2, ati 9700 aiw with HT on. Using catalyst 3.8, I have run 3dmark03 for > 24hrs with no problems.

Maybe 3.8 will help with your problems

Mike
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page