Do I need a HTPC with 4K @60z - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old Today, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do I need a HTPC with 4K @60z

Hi All...

I have a lovely LG OLED 4K TV and putting together a list of parts for a HTPC build.

Ideally I would like one the newer motherboards with embedded CPU as this keeps costs down as well power use/heat management issues as many can be powered with an external DC supply.
Now, these boards tend to go by HDMI or DisplayPorts that can output 4k @30Hz .

To get the 4k @60Hz it's most likely the case where I'd need a separate board/CPU - something like a Z170 and Kaby Lake G3930.

My understanding is that MOST movies have an fps around 30 and the TV will interlace this by inserting frames to say 60Hz.

It's on the Hobbit movie that I know of that's at 48fps.

Do I really need a HTPC at 60Hz for 4K?

Over to you guys for thoughts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Today, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by signum View Post
Hi All...

I have a lovely LG OLED 4K TV and putting together a list of parts for a HTPC build.

Ideally I would like one the newer motherboards with embedded CPU as this keeps costs down as well power use/heat management issues as many can be powered with an external DC supply.
Now, these boards tend to go by HDMI or DisplayPorts that can output 4k @30Hz .

To get the 4k @60Hz it's most likely the case where I'd need a separate board/CPU - something like a Z170 and Kaby Lake G3930.

My understanding is that MOST movies have an fps around 30 and the TV will interlace this by inserting frames to say 60Hz.

It's on the Hobbit movie that I know of that's at 48fps.

Do I really need a HTPC at 60Hz for 4K?

Over to you guys for thoughts...
First off I need to correct you on a few things, the majority of movies, 1080p and 4K are captured at 23.976 fps on disc, in the theatre in can be different and in the case of "The Hobbit" it was filmed at 48 fps, but the Blu-ray is 23.976 fps.

The only exception to this (so far) is "Billy Lynn's Long Half Time Walk" the 4K disc is at 60 fps _ lots of people complained that it looked like "soap opera" effect.

You don't need an HTPC for 4k, the DRM (digital right management) is a huge nuisance to deal with when it comes to 4K.
Right now only Pioneer makes a drive that will read 4K discs properly and all those are Japanese models _ they are only available from Japan.

The easiest, most effective and least costly way to watch 4K UHD Blu-rays right now is to simply buy a stand-alone player.
There is no real advantage to using an HTPC.

Your LG OLED will have a refresh rate to match the native frame rate of 23.976 fps, so you won't have to worry about 3:2 pull down.
In fact most displays can do 23.976, 24, 30, 50, 59.94 and 60 Hz.

Last edited by JeffR1; Today at 10:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
40k htpc 60hz