Long cable run. VGA? HDMI? Something else? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-30-2017, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Long cable run. VGA? HDMI? Something else?

Wasn't sure which forum to post this in so hopefully this one works.

I have a laptop that is currently running output to 1 TV and 1 projector through a standard VGA splitter box. It is a 100' VGA cable to get to the TV and a 50' cable to get to the projector. We are going to be swapping out the projector and replacing it with two 65" TVs. One TV will be 25' from the splitter box and one will be 100' away.

My problem is that most TVs these days no longer have VGA ports on them and I'm not sure what the best way to handle that is.

AFAIK, HDMI cables can't go 100' so simply replacing VGA with HDMI wouldn't work. Is that right? I guess I could get some sort of HDMI to Ethernet adapter. I'd have to buy all new cables and a new splitter box and could probably make that work.

Can I get some sort of VGA to HDMI converter that I can plug in at the TV end? Then I can use the same equipment I already have, get one more 100' cable to go to the new TV, and then put some adapter on the end where it connects to the TV. I took a quick look but didn't see anything that would do this. Can anyone recommend anything?

Any other way I can do this that I'm not thinking about right now?

Update: I forgot to mention that this is for a Video Only use. No Audio. This is for use in a church and it simply shows song lyrics, announcement slides, and things like that on the TVs for people to see. The audio will get routed through a different sound system.

Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited by kelemvor; 04-30-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-30-2017, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 681
I'd go with active (boosted) HDMI cables and an HDMI splitter. Trying to convert to VGA and back is going to adversely affect your signal quality and cause all sorts of HDCP issues.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-30-2017, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
I'd go with active (boosted) HDMI cables and an HDMI splitter. Trying to convert to VGA and back is going to adversely affect your signal quality and cause all sorts of HDCP issues.
I wouldn't be doing 2 conversions. The signal comes out of VGA on the laptop and goes into a VGA splitter to go to multiple displays. I could then run VGA to the TV and just do one conversion from VGA to HDMI since the TVs don't come with VGA ports.

I'll look up the HDMI cables but I'd need two 100', one 25', and the splitter so we'll see how much that will cost.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-30-2017, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelemvor View Post
Update: I forgot to mention that this is for a Video Only use. No Audio. This is for use in a church and it simply shows song lyrics, announcement slides, and things like that on the TVs for people to see. The audio will get routed through a different sound system.

Thanks for any ideas.
Okay, if you're not ever going to be displaying any content that has DRM issues, then it'll probably be cheaper/easier to use your existing cables and splitter, and just get a pair of VGA -> HDMI adapters (available on amazon) and use one at each of your new displays.

Keeping in mind, that an analog run that long is already going to have some signal degradation issues, and then passing through an analog to digital converter will introduce even more signal degradation. But if you're on a budget, that's probably the most cost effective way to go. Make sure the laptop is set to a resolution and refresh rate that is native to HDMI. If it's not a standard resolution/refresh rate, worst case scenario the adapter can't convert it. Best case scenario the adapter can convert it, but you lose even more quality in the conversion process.

That said, if your laptop has HDMI out, you'll get a much better picture if you stick with HDMI from end to end. Its just a matter of whether the quality increase can justify the cost increase. If it was me, I'd get a couple of adapters off amazon, and try them out. If they meet your needs, then you're all set, and if not, send 'em back and go the HDMI route.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-30-2017, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
HDMI over Cat5 baluns.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-01-2017, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3019 Post(s)
Liked: 1589
Quote:
Wasn't sure which forum to post this in so hopefully this one works.

I have a laptop that is currently running output to 1 TV and 1 projector through a standard VGA splitter box. It is a 100' VGA cable to get to the TV and a 50' cable to get to the projector. We are going to be swapping out the projector and replacing it with two 65" TVs. One TV will be 25' from the splitter box and one will be 100' away.

My problem is that most TVs these days no longer have VGA ports on them and I'm not sure what the best way to handle that is.

AFAIK, HDMI cables can't go 100' so simply replacing VGA with HDMI wouldn't work. Is that right? I guess I could get some sort of HDMI to Ethernet adapter. I'd have to buy all new cables and a new splitter box and could probably make that work.
Celerity will go that far. There are other options if you don't need 4K/18Gbps. Monoprice Slim Run is an option too.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-01-2017, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

The other option that keeps getting tossed around is to use some sort of Wireless system. Generally when I ask about that on these forums I'm just told "No, don't do it" but it's been a while. Are wireless Video products more reliable now than they were a year ago? I think they were much more expensive than the other options though...
post #8 of 13 Old 05-01-2017, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The other option that keeps getting tossed around is to use some sort of Wireless system. Generally when I ask about that on these forums I'm just told "No, don't do it" but it's been a while. Are wireless Video products more reliable now than they were a year ago? I think they were much more expensive than the other options though...
No, don't do it.

In all seriousness, you'll pay way more for a wireless system that still won't be as reliable as a wired system.

post #9 of 13 Old 05-01-2017, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3019 Post(s)
Liked: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
No, don't do it.

In all seriousness, you'll pay way more for a wireless system that still won't be as reliable as a wired system.
Isn't wireless HDMI more in the 10-15' line of sight range anyway, not 100+ feet?

Fiber's really the only future proof solution, that's what I'd be looking at for a 100'+ run. Specifically the DFO Celerity ones, though I'd want to confirm if those have the potential to support HDMI 2.1 before worrying about the DFO specifically.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-01-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Isn't wireless HDMI more in the 10-15' line of sight range anyway, not 100+ feet?

Fiber's really the only future proof solution, that's what I'd be looking at for a 100'+ run. Specifically the DFO Celerity ones, though I'd want to confirm if those have the potential to support HDMI 2.1 before worrying about the DFO specifically.
I hadn't seen the DFO cables, but those look pretty slick (though a bit on the pricey side)

And I've never been a fan of using any wireless technology for a stationary device unless there is just no practical way to get a wire to it. Ironically I had that ingrained while being the sound guy for my church which was located about 500yds from the 100kw transmission tower of the local classic rock station. We used to joke that you could plug in a lamp in the church and if it wasn't shielded well, you could hear Led Zepplin faintly humming from the bulb.

post #11 of 13 Old 05-01-2017, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 258
We've had good luck using HDBaseT equipment - somewhat pricey, but really nice. Even better, you only power one end of it and power is sent to the other end (you power either the receiver or the transmitter, whichever is more convenient). For us, as the receiver is usually near a device that needs power (the sink device) we power that, and the transmitter can be anywhere where power is less convenient to access.

Edit: of course, if the needs are low, wireless and either miracast or a Chromecast might work as well.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-17-2017, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
If you go for HDMI make sure you get 24awg or better. I had two 10m HDMI cable runs in the ceiling and neither worked over that length. I ran a 24awg cable and t works fine. Not sure about the lengths you're talking about though, you'd want to test the cabling before installing.
post #13 of 13 Old Today, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Out of the box thinking, but what about casting a phone or trying to figure out a Roku/Chromecast type solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page