"Stereophile Guide to HT" says yes to AVS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-12-2001, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We should all be proud, as two different articles in the May 2001 issue of "Stereophile Guide to Home Theater" reference the AVS Forums.

The monthly PCinema column by Patrick J. Megenity lists AVS as the place to be for information on how to use PowerStrip to get the most out of your HTPC.

In the CES 2001 recap, former AVS Forum moderator, Mark Rejohn & his recent efforts for TAW & Phil Tuttobene come into focus as the upcoming "The Rock" video scaler is eagerly awaited.

More can be found at the PCinema page at www.guidetohometheater.com

------------------
"better living thru modern expensive electronics"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-12-2001, 11:14 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Yes, this was very good to see indeed! Mark Rejhon was mentioned in one of those two references as a "former avsforum.com moderator and HTPC genius". Congrats Mark! Too bad they misspelled your name! (Rejohn).

One thing that really bugged me though: Patrick reviewed the HiPix HDTV PC card and on a couple of occasions (including the opening line) he mentioned that in so many words that "... it was great if you don't mind watching HDTV on your 17" monitor".

Hello? Isn't this the same Patrick pushing for HTPC's as the best way to drive front projection systems? Hell, in the list of relevant equipment used to review the HiPix, they listed a couple of HTPC's and a CRT projector! He should have at least mentioned once that this is yet another good reason to put an HTPC in a home theater.

Odd.

Kal

------------------
BarcoGraphics 800 (1280x720@72Hz)
Silent HTPC DVD (RF modified GeForce2, Audiophile 24/96 for S/PDIF out)
8' wide 1.4 gain 16x9 painted fabric screen

[This message has been edited by kal (edited 04-13-2001).]
post #3 of 5 Old 04-13-2001, 08:14 AM

Liked: 10
I haven't seen the May issue yet, but I have all previous issues with PCinema series of articles and consider them very valuable. Indeed, it was this series of articles that first started me think of setting an HTPC system. And it was Patrick, who patiently answered my first questions concerning HTPC, before I knew about the existance of the AVS Forum. And, again, it was him who sent me an e-mail with direct link to Mark Rejhorn's "Definitive Guide" about resolutions, which made me aware of this Forum and consequently made me join and hang around here for endless hours.

Of course, since I discovered the AVS Forum I've learnt more about HTPCs than I ever imagined possible http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif.

Kal,
I'm sure Patrick reads this Forum quite often and is quite aware of benefits of the HTPC connected to large displays. Actually, he stated this quite often in his articles. Therefore, I would rather treat his remark about HiPIx and 17" monitor as a simple mistake or even editing error.

Anyway, I owe him quite a lot. Thank you Patrick!

Regards,
Leszek.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-04-2001, 08:45 PM

Liked: 10
The Stereophile Guide to Home Theater review of the HiPix card is online at:

http://www.telemann.com/Stereophile_HiPix.pdf

I think it is a good, objective review of the card including its limitations of recording awkwardness and lack of keyboard controls. Nevertheless, I still love my HiPix.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-04-2001, 11:28 PM

Liked: 11
KeithK,

Thanks for the link ... I really hope the Broadlogic card which he says is "Available Now" ... actually becomes so.
Bob

------------------
WinME, PIII 866mhz, 815e Chipset, 256MB, Radeon AIW, WinTV-D & DirectX 8

[This message has been edited by BHeld (edited 05-05-2001).]
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page