Old 05-04-2001, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some question on the new accessdtv card I just got:

1) What does the "signal" indicator measure? Signal strength or
SNR? It would be nice to see both measures displayed. Setting up the antenna is driving me nuts. An audio feedback mode (tone that indicates signal quality) would be helpful for antenna setup as well.

2) I see that I can set a preference for a particular resolution but how I know what is actually being displayed? If I select a preferred resolution, are any resolutions received scaled to the preferred resolution or does the resolution switch to the received resolution?

3) What exactly is a subchannel? This is related to question 2; do I get different resolutions for different subchannels? Are different programs potentially offered on different subchannels? Currently all subchannels seem to produce the same thing when I switch them.

4) I can't seem to be able to get the PVR to record to anything but a
local hard drive. Is there a way to get it to record to my network fileserver where I have a large amount of storage space?

5) Is there a way in full screen mode to chose output resolutions other than the 720p/1080i/480p ? Specifically I'd like to output 1024x768progressive which is the native resolution of my projector. Is the accessdtv hardware capable of this scaling?

6) The AC3 output of the card works well; however, I have been unable to get the sound card output to work when I select PC Speakers. I am assuming that the signal is sent to the wave interface on the soundcard. I have checked that the volume is set to max for the wave interface and other applications work correctly through this interface. My sound card is a Soundblaster Live. What might I be
doing wrong?

Thx,
John

------------------
John

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2001, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

bump

------------------
John

John
Old 05-04-2001, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

John,

1) It is my understanding that the meter is based on error rate and not real signal strenght.

2) When you select a resolution the received resolution is always scaled to that resolution. 720p is my sweet spot, so that is what I always use.

3) The 6 MHz bandwidth assigned to each channel can hold up to 5 SD programs or 1 HD + 1 SD programs. Most stations are not transmitting more than one program currently. PBS intends to use the SD subchannels for education programming.

4) I don’t know the answer. I’ll have to ask accessDTV.

5) Not at the present time. I’ve ask the accessDTV engineers if it can be programmed support standard 4:3 resolutions.

6) I have no idea why you are having problems with the PC Speaker setting and the SB Live card. I completely stopped using SB Live card over a year ago for some of the same problems.

------------------
Best Regards, Cliff
Digital Connection, LLC
cwatson53@home.com

[This message has been edited by Cliff Watson (edited 05-05-2001).]
Old 05-04-2001, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thx Cliff.
A followup on question 2, is there any way to tell which resolution is being sent?

It'd be cool if the accessdtv can scale to 1024x768.

Thx for the assistance,
John

John
Old 05-05-2001, 12:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Endymion:
Thx Cliff.
A followup on question 2, is there any way to tell which resolution is being sent?

It'd be cool if the accessdtv can scale to 1024x768.

Thx for the assistance,
John
</font>
John,

There is no way to tell what resolution is being transmitted with the current software.

A good 4:3 resolution would help some people that can't compress an anamorphic image.

------------------
Best Regards, Cliff
Digital Connection, LLC
cwatson53@home.com