Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ATI Today posted a new developer utilty in the

General Development Resources/Tools section of it Developer Web site at

http://www.ati.com/na/pages/resource...el/devrel.html

This new utility called ModeMaker is at

http://www.ati.com/na/pages/resource...nmodemaker.zip

and allows for the creation of new (supported) display modes through a simple API. Similar to what PowerStrip recently added, this applet is different primarily in that it was developed by ATI and shows our commitment to offically supporting these kinds of activity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2001, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi Stephen:

___Thank you for still helping us along with the resolution utility. It is on its way now …

___Please don’t forget about us when we are looking for those magic overlay settings that stick without resetting and the ATI 4.x player that renders as nicely under Windows 2000 as it does under Windows Millennium and 98 SE.

___Thanks again

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___ xcel@midwest.idsonline.com
Old 04-20-2001, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Stephen

Great to hear from you.

HUgo
Old 04-20-2001, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Stephen,

Please get the guys to work on the 'lock aspect ratio' issue for non-anamorphic DVD's, and the DTS passthrough. These are the only two things keeping the ATI Player from becoming the DVD player of choice for all HTPC's.

------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C
Old 04-20-2001, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Stephen, one question:
Using Powerstrip 3 I have been able to create interlaced resolutions such as 1920x1080i, 1706x920i (fullscreen DVD viewing with no overscan) and they work great for the DVD overlay & the desktop.
However, the interlaced resolutions do not work for 3D gaming, the screen loses sync. I know your area is multimedia, but is there a chance this can be fixed? Interlaced resolutions are needed for HDTV gaming because:
(1) Many games run their menus, movies, etc at different resolutions than the actual game itself. Example: Mech Warrior 4 runs their menus at 800x600. But on a HDTV this needs to be interlaced to use it. Currently with my Radeon 64MB VIVO/HDTV 1080i set I can't play games that use anything at 800x600.

(2) To play games at higher resolutions on a 540p/1080i HDTV (example: 1600x900) once again they need to be interlaced. Many 3D games using the Radeon 64 VIVO run better at higher resolutions than at 480p based resolutions.

Also, at many common widescreen resolutions such as 856x480, the Radeon will switch to a "virtual" scrolling desktop, even though the monitor driver clearly supports this resolution.

Thanks for your support. I was a die hard nv***a user for a long time but thanks to the outstanding DVD/multimedia features of the Radeon you have a new customer. Interlaced gaming support & DTS will complete my needs!

------------------
Wayne Harrelson
Springfield, Va
http://www.geocities.com/wayneharrel...HTPC_Page.html

http://www.mp3.com/karnis
Old 04-20-2001, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vruiz:
Hi Stephen,

Please get the guys to work on the 'lock aspect ratio' issue for non-anamorphic DVD's....

</font>
Vic, I have been able to get the ATi player to display non anamorphic DVDs in 16x9 mode using the zoom feature of DVD Genie. Check this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/008956.html
The last issue for the ATi player for me is DTS.

------------------
Wayne Harrelson
Springfield, Va

Old 04-23-2001, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

In response to:

&gt; However, the interlaced resolutions do not work for 3D gaming,
&gt; the screen loses sync. I know your area is multimedia, but is
&gt; there a chance this can be fixed? Interlaced resolutions are
&gt; needed for HDTV gaming because:

I believe that because of the way D3D games do page flipping, they are not compatible with interlaced display modes, so when D3D games create their full screen surfaces they cannot be interlaced. This is a limitation (feature?) of D3D.

In response to:

&gt; Please get the guys to work on the 'lock aspect ratio'
&gt; issue for non-anamorphic DVD's, and the DTS passthrough.
&gt; These are the only two things keeping the ATI Player
&gt; from becoming the DVD player of choice for all HTPC's.

I think I made several promises that the next version of our SW would address this issue. It will. When will the next version come out? That I will not say on a public forum.

Old 04-23-2001, 08:23 AM

Man you rule !!!
Thanx for being there man http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
OLK
Old 04-23-2001, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Stephen,
Thx again for the outstanding support!

------------------
John

John
Old 04-23-2001, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Stephen,

Let us know if you need any beta testers! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Cheers,
Dave.
Old 04-23-2001, 09:42 AM

Thanks! Mr. Orr
I love to have you here and make our needs come true.
Thanks again!

PC and HDTV enthusiast
Old 04-23-2001, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

As everyone who knows me knows.... I am no 3D software expert. It is possible that someone is "tricking" the system into creating an interlaced mode and claiming to the OS it is progressive in order to allow D3D access to it. This should however cause horrible visual tearing.

My reponse however was based on two things. 1) My knowledge of how page flipping works in both video and 3D, and 2) a (brief) discussion I had with a D3D driver developer in house.

As to why our audio is better than anyone else (assuming it is), I can't give away our secrets now can I?

Finally - as to Beta testing our next DVD effort. We (ATI Multimedia) know that you guys are willing victims. When the time comes I expect we will think of you!
Old 04-23-2001, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stephen Orr:
I think I made several promises that the next version of our SW would address this issue. It will. When will the next version come out? That I will not say on a public forum.

</font>
certainly understand that you can't preannounce details of an upcoming release. question is, there seem to be stability problems with some of us. i find that on w2k, 4.1 dvd locks the machine up. is there any chance of a .1 release to patch bugs you are finding prior to a whole new version?.

greg

------------------
-------------------------
Why does he shake hands with that guy right after he sexed the alligator

Big Red Cinema Build - In Progress
Old 04-23-2001, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In response to:

I believe that because of the way D3D games do page flipping, they are not compatible with interlaced display modes, so when D3D games create their full screen surfaces they cannot be interlaced. This is a limitation (feature?) of D3D.

</font>
Stephen:
Thanks for your response. However, interlaced resolutions for 3D games worked perfectly on my previous Elsa Gladiac Geforce 2 GTS card. What I don't know is whether this was due to any "tricks" that Powerstrip 3 was able to do. But it worked for all D3D & openGL games. Any ideas? This would be the final piece of the puzzle for me. But, if it doesn't (or can't) work, so be it. I'm quite happy with the Radeon 64MB VIVO.

BTW, although I'm also patiently waiting for DTS, I would like to say that the ATi player, IMHO, produces the best DD 5.1 I've heard from ANY DVD player I've heard, SW or standalone. Any particular reason why this is?

------------------
Wayne Harrelson
Springfield, Va

Old 04-24-2001, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, the nature of the shift from DVD 4.0/4.1 to DVD 5.0 is too significant to afford any "interim patches". In essence we are focusing on the next version in an effort to get it ready quicker than originally planned.
Old 04-24-2001, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Stephen,

It is truly amazing that your Radeon card had completely won our hearts over. I know you are watching this forum closely and may not reply again until the next 5.0 is up, I thank you for listening and bringing out this product.

Today, I did a complete evaluation of the latest Windvd, Powerdvd and ATI 4.1, the ATI had a very luscious PQ that make it so fun watching my DVDs again.

Although I don't face freeze ups(I am using Win98SE), but there are a little bit of improvements that I would like to highlight:

1. Please make the shortcuts easier on the remote control. There are many people here that has very good learning remote controls like the Pronto.
A fine example is to have your engineers play with Powerdvd and understand why it is so user friendly.
2. Make the "hide controls" hidden at default when screen is maximised, because the shortcuts will easily take over and the slight movement of keys will pop out the "controls", rather annoying. Pressing F2 key will then hide it.
3. Make it sound the best amongst all.
4. Fix the temperamental gamma, brightness and contrast keys. Although the quick fix is adjust it and disable the video controls.
5. Allow digital zoom to fill up widescreen TV for P&S materials, prefer with one touch shortcut keys. Powerdvd has the best examples.
6. Please have more choices of fast forward and reverse speeds and on screen displayig it as well, and default to normal playback using the same key. Right now we have to use the Space Bar key to allow normal speed playback. That is 2 touch approach.
7. DTS,DTS,DTS, we want DTS! I knew you promised it, but we wanted it for sure.

and so on and so forth....

Thank you very much.

CH Yeow

Old 04-24-2001, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, the nature of the shift from DVD 4.0/4.1 to DVD 5.0 is too significant to afford any "interim patches". In essence we are focusing on the next version in an effort to get it ready quicker than originally planned.</font>
yesss nice to hear.

a further error in 4.0/.1 is the slow menu navigation. You can see it @ the german gladiator dvd (maybe in the rc1 too). I contaced the ati europeservice but the people there are #!@grrr http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif.
And the DVD stocks after the universal trailer this is not in the cinemaster 99 interface or the ati 3.2.0.1 player.

thank you stephen for your infos.

------------------
Greetings

strauch

greetings

strauch
Old 04-24-2001, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess I'll go ahead and add my 2 cents, too. I have two issues with the ATI Player that combine to make it a less-than user-friendly solution, and as a result I've switched back to WinDVD.

The first (and biggest) issue is that when in an interlaced resolution, the menu overlays in the DVD menus are still double-sized, even after refreshing the overlay timings. This makes menu navigation by keyboard (and therefore remote) pretty much impossible. I realize you guys may not 'officially' support interlaced resolutions, but I'd appreciate it if you could look into this since the interlaced resolutions are a real boon for those of us with 540p/1080i displays. 1704x960i gives me a really great picture with 0% overscan. I know the menu overlay issue is possible to fix, because PowerDVD doesn't have the same problem. WinDVD does, but I've found a workaround for it.

Which brings me to my second issue. I decided that as a workaround to the above, I could have the DVD Player start up at 960x540, and then once I've made my menu selections I can change to 1704x960i when the movie starts playing. Unforuntately, this doesn't work with the ATI Player, because the resolution change causes it to start playback from the beginning of the disc and go back into the menu. Since my goal is to make this system usable for my wife via Pronto/Girder, this is pretty much a deal killer. I'm now using WinDVD since it can survive the resolution change, but I hate to be missing out on the extra PQ of the ATI Player.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by JKohn (edited 04-24-2001).]
Old 04-25-2001, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Selected responses....

1. Please make the shortcuts easier on the remote control. There are many people here that has very good learning remote controls like the Pronto.
A fine example is to have your engineers play with Powerdvd and understand why it is so user friendly.

&gt; Check out the remote control mapper that we published to make this easy. Not every command is in there, but many are. It's on the ATI web site under "Developer". Also the exact URL was mentioned near the end of the ATI Guest forum.

2. Make the "hide controls" hidden at default when screen is maximised, because the shortcuts will easily take over and the slight movement of keys will pop out the "controls", rather annoying. Pressing F2 key will then hide it.

&gt; Set "Autohide controls in full screen" after ~5 seconds of mouse inactivity the controls hide.

4. Fix the temperamental gamma, brightness and contrast keys. Although the quick fix is adjust it and disable the video controls.

&gt; I'm missing something here. I was off the forum for a while. What is broken (in detail)... please send me mail on this forum.

Other questions I believe I have already answered (or have no plans to answer at this time) so I will leave it at that.
Old 04-25-2001, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Stephen,
You don't have your email address tied to your post (can't say I blame you http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif) so I will post the color controls issue here.
They seem to have a mind of their own. You can set the controls to your desired values, sit back & watch a DVD. However, the next time you open the player, the sliders may be in the same position but the values are obviously different and require re adjustment. Everyone, it seems, has this same problem. The actual values do not seem to stay locked in position once you close and reopen the player. Also, it seems to they are not independant of the overlay brighness controls either. I've found that if you adjust the black level in the ATi player, close, reopen the player and adjust (because they have changed) it also changes the brightness setting in the overlay brightness panel. Another issue is the gamma control. If you start to move the slider from left to right, it first gets darker for a few clicks and then the gamma increases, after 4 clicks. After the first point the gamma value rises, the same thing happens. Darker for a few clicks, then a gamma level increase. Personally, I disable the color controls in the setup menu thru the registry (hidevideopage=1) and simply adjust the brightness in the overlay panel & be done with it.
If we are doing something wrong in terms of procedure, please tell us. Thanks for your continued support!

------------------
Wayne Harrelson
Springfield, Va

Old 04-25-2001, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

I will pass along the problem report to the developers.

Note however that while my eMail address is "private" I do allow "private messages" on the forum (click on the "pm" icon on one of my posts to send me mail inside the AVS Forum. This is made available to me when I visit the site.

As to the appearance that the overlay brightness and colour controls are linked, that is because they are. The video decode is done by hardware accelleration (iDCT+MoComp0. This leaves Y Cr Cb data in the graphics frame buffer which is used to source the overlay. The brightness, etc.. is done by the overlay as part of the conversion from Y Cr Cb to RGB, so the too are linked.

As to the settings not persisting across multiple discs, we will investigate.
Old 04-25-2001, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

i know stephen has been taking notes along the way but maybe we could assemble a thorough list of issues we know of then he would not have to worry about finding them in all the various threads. he could then decide which of those are significant enough to be added to the next release.

does this make sense? if so, i can start a new thread and consolidate the list.

greg

------------------
Why does he shake hands with that guy right after he sexed the alligator

Big Red Cinema Build - In Progress
Old 04-25-2001, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I will pass along the problem report to the developers.

Note however that while my eMail address is "private" I do allow "private messages" on the forum (click on the "pm" icon on one of my posts to send me mail inside the AVS Forum. This is made available to me when I visit the site.

As to the appearance that the overlay brightness and colour controls are linked, that is because they are. The video decode is done by hardware accelleration (iDCT+MoComp0. This leaves Y Cr Cb data in the graphics frame buffer which is used to source the overlay. The brightness, etc.. is done by the overlay as part of the conversion from Y Cr Cb to RGB, so the too are linked.

As to the settings not persisting across multiple discs, we will investigate.
</font>
Stephen:

I fear Karnis' post above about the finnicky overlay controls did not emphasize the problem enough. The bottom line is that you set the controls to the user's preferred settings, watch the movie and then upon exiting or anytime you want to review the settings -- they move on their own. This causes a continuing visit to the overlay control controls every time you stop, pause or exit and then re-enter the program. It's obviously not intended to work this way and there is no fix to this even for people who have disabled the tab completely after making the appropriate settings via the registry. It truly does have a mind of its own and needs some type of patch to be developed that will lock the settings after calibration.

Here is a very descriptive copy of a post done by M. Budiman that digs deep into this issue :

OK, here's the result of some sleuthing I did last night.
Conclusion: The brightness and gamma setting on the Video tab CAN change.
This is what I did: I run regedit, and open it up to the corresponding ATI-DVD player setting (HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/ATI Technologies/Multimedia/Features/DVD). Among the items listed there are the 5 items in the Video Tab: Brightness, Contrast, Gamma, Hue and Saturation. So, I did some testing as to what happens if I do certain things within the ATI DVD player and then close it, and refresh (press F5) the registry, so I can see what values have changed.

All the tests were done on a Celeron 366 system (system shouldn't matter), running Win98SE, with ATI Radeon LE, 7093 drivers, and ATI 4.1 SW DVD Player. So, I set the values of those 5 settings to a reasonable (read: within limits) value within the registry itself. For brevity, when I say Run player, that means executing the ATI SW DVD Player. When I say registry values, that means the 5 values of brightness, contrast, gamma, hue and saturation.
1. Run player, exit program
No registry value changes.
2. Run player, play movie, exit program
3. Run player, go to Setup dialog, which opens up in any other Tab OTHER than Video, click OK, exit program
4. Run player, go to Setup dialog, which opens up in any other Tab OTHER than Video, click Cancel, exit program

Note: On cases 3 and 4, to open up the Setup dialog and start in any other Tab OTHER than Video tab, what you do is just after you do you adjustments, rather than click OK, click on any other tab and then click OK. The next time you open up the Setup dialog, it will open up in that last tab you last visited.

So far so good, right?

5. Run player, go to Setup dialog, which opens up in the Video Tab, click OK, exit program
Brightness value is decreased by 39, gamma is decreased by some value which is around 24-25, it varies on where the gamma slider is on.
6. Run player, go to Setup dialog, which opens up in the Video Tab, click Cancel, exit program
Brightness value is decreased by 39, gamma is decreased by some value which is around 24-25, it varies on where the gamma slider is on.

Now some funny things happening:
7. Run player, go to Setup dialog, which opens up in the Video Tab, click Cancel. Go to Setup dialog, which opens up in the Video Tab. You should see that both Gamma and Brightness slider has moved a bit to the left. Click cancel again. Go to Setup dialog again, and you'll see that the Gamma and Brightness has moved AGAIN (a bit to the left). You can repeat this process ad infinitum until you have the gamma and brightness slider at the leftmost position. Note however that the brightness slider moves at a slower 'rate' than the gamma slider - I'll explain below.
Regardless, when you exit the program, the values written to the registry will (somewhat) correspond to the where the slider position is, so if you do the open Setup Dialog and Cancel multiple times, the Brightness and Gamma value will change quite a bit (not the aforementioned 39 and 24-25 points respectively).

Note: In all my testings, never have the Contrast, Hue and Saturation values change. The values that doesn't seem to be retained is Brightness and Gamma given the actions performed above.

OK, so I'm focusing now on the Brightness and Gamma settings; I'll start with Gamma first, since it's more visible in terms of changes.
The gamma has valid values from 0x1 to 0x1F5. Setting the gamma to the LEFTMOST place will yield value of 0x1 (1). This is what happens when you move the slider by CLICKING on the right side of the slider (meaning you DON'T drag the slider with your mouse, but instead you CLICK on the right side of the slider so the slider button MOVES to the right):
1. Place gamma slider button on the leftmost position. Click to the right of it, so the slider button moves right ONE notch. Click OK, exit program.
In the registry, Gamma value is STILL 1. This should also be visible on the material you're watching. When you're watching a movie and perform the above changes, the picture stays the same, no gamma changes.

2. Place gamma slider button on the leftmost position. Click to the right of it, so the slider button moves right TWO notches. Click OK, exit program.
In the registry, Gamma value is now at 25. This should also be visible on the material you're watching. When you're watching a movie and perform the above changes, the picture DARKENS a bit.

3. Place gamma slider button on the leftmost position. Click to the right of it, so the slider button moves right THREE notches. Click OK, exit program.
In the registry, Gamma value is now at 25 - the SAME as case no. 2. This should also be visible on the material you're watching. When you're watching a movie and move the slider one notch, the picture stays the same, move it to 2 notches, the picture darkens a bit, move it to 3 notches, no changes to the picture as with the 2 notches setting.

4. Place gamma slider button on the leftmost position. Click to the right of it, so the slider button moves right FOUR notches. Click OK, exit program.
In the registry, Gamma value is now at 50. This should also be visible on the material you're watching. When you're watching a movie and move the slider one notch, the picture stays the same, move it to 2 notches, the picture darkens a bit, move it to 3 notches, no changes to the picture as with the 2 notches setting. Move it to 4 notches the picture brightens, brighter than the 0 and 1 notch setting.

5. Place gamma slider button on the leftmost position. Click to the right of it, so the slider button moves right FIVE notches. Click OK, exit program.
In the registry, Gamma value is now at 75. However, the picture gamma stays the same with the 4 notches setting. This should be visible on the material you're watching. When you're watching a movie and move the slider one notch, the picture stays the same, move it to 2 notches, the picture darkens a bit, move it to 3 notches, no changes to the picture as with the 2 notches setting. Move it to 4 notches the picture brightens, brighter than the 0 and 1 notch setting. Move it to 5 notches, it's the same as 4 notches.

My hypothesis: The ATI SW DVD Player doesn't have a fine granularity on Gamma settings. If you continue the process, and just eyeball the movie output, you'll see that along the many notches settings in the Gamma slider, it will only yield 6 different gamma setting (that I can see with my eyes).

Now, the STRANGE part.
1. Move the gamma slider button to 4 notches. You'll see that the image has brightened, and seems to be close to the desired gamma. Click OK and exit program.
Go to Registry, you can confirm that it is at 50. Open up the DVD player again and play a movie. You'll see that the image now DARKENS. Exit program, check again in the registry, it's still 50.
Note: When you set it to 4 notches, the software knows somehow internally that it needs to use the next gamma step. However, when you exit and relaunch the program, that 50 setting seems to still be the lower than the ceiling the program specifies before it gets to the next gamma value. So, in effect the movie will play as if you're setting the gamma to 3 notches.

Now, let's do the next logical step. Launch program, play movie, bump gamma to FIVE notches. The image still look the same as 4 notches. Click OK and exit program. You can confirm on the registry that the value is 75. When you run the player again and watch a movie, the gamma is correct. It's brighter than the default setting and it's where you have left it. Close it, and the registry still shows 75.

Boy, am I tired from typing all this, most probably all this note will not be read and make people sleep - so I'll stop soon.

I didn't do the testing as extensively on the Brightness slider, I'll try to do it tonight. If there's any interest, I'll post it tomorrow.

My points:
1. Once you have the setting you WANT, click one notch further on brightness and gamma. This way, when you launch up the player in the future, the picture is where you want it. Note that the behavior of the brightness slider hasn't been fully explored, so it might behave differently than the gamma slider.
2. Before clicking OK after setting up the video, click on ANY OTHER TAB, so when you go to the Setup dialog again, it will show up on another tab, and your video settings are not screwed.
3. I didn't check whether disabling the Video page made the settings stick or not. I imagine it should.
4. If you're someone who HAS a scope and wants to get the best value of Brightness and contrast, use the slider to go the values that are close to reference (7.5 IRE 50mv, and 100 IRE 720mv), and from there for best granularity, modify the brightness and contrast setting in the registry and launch the DVD player to check if it's closer to reference or not. I believe the granularity on the Brightness slider is 40 and on the contrast slider is 200.

Hopefully this will be of some use.

Thanks for your attention.

[This message has been edited by MikeM (edited 04-25-2001).]

Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...with nail polish.
Old 04-25-2001, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

bump for S.Orr

Old 04-25-2001, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In response to:

</font>
This is incorrect. If this wasn't possible, then LCD shutterglass technology would never have been possible under d3d. It's actually been working since the age old days of the 3dfx Voodoo2 card. Interlaced or not is irrelevant for a d3d app. What you need to do is to somehow force the driver to override the d3d mode timings. For 120i report 60p to the application and you shouldn't get into too much synchronization trouble.

Uhmm...and so a request. Is it possible to add some kind of dvd subtitle script support as in this app? http://www.dvdsubber.com/ Right now it works fine with the Cinemaster filter, but of course then I cannot use the Radeon's adaptive deinterlacing. When you in the future (hopefully) add DTS I would like to be able to use external subtitles. Hopefully the DTS fix is through the directshow filter so all apps can take advantage.

------------------
/frode

/frode
Old 04-26-2001, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Actually LCD shutter technology is quite different from what I was talking about.

With shutters the idea is to render the ENTIRE frame in just the odd scan lines, then the ENTIRE frame in just the even scan lines. With glasses on this produces an artificial (and for most people very real seeming) virtual reality. Effectively the system is in a dual display mode with half the vertical resolution and is painting to each display seperately.

What I am talking about is sinbgle display. In this case if the page flip happens and only the odd scan lines are drawn to the CRT, the even scan lines will be OLD and this will cause tearing.

What I am describing should be very familiar to HT people. It is the basic difference between progressive and interlaced displays being fedd by progressive and interlaced content.
Old 04-26-2001, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I was referring to LCD shutterglasses providing interlaced modes entirely through the drivers under d3d. This is completely transparent to the application, and works.

As for tearing issues that's why you have sync on refresh and report the refresh as being half that of the interlaced mode. If you do this you should not (hopefully) experience tearing.

------------------
/frode

/frode
Old 04-26-2001, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Stephen Orr:

Hopefully frode's post did not distract you from the previous overlay settings difficulty post prior to his. Just wanted clarification that you were able to digest it and hopefully pass it on to your technical people for future corrective action.

Old 04-27-2001, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Ah yes, I meant to post this last night....

We have reproduced the Radeon issue and understand why the slider creeps, currently we are trying to figure out the best solution for it.

A big thanks to the detailed description here as it made analysis on our end simple, and yes, we are thinking about how to release a fix once we have one, but I can't comment on what we are thinking or when. Usual thing.
Old 04-27-2001, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ah yes, I meant to post this last night....

We have reproduced the Radeon issue and understand why the slider creeps, currently we are trying to figure out the best solution for it.

A big thanks to the detailed description here as it made analysis on our end simple, and yes, we are thinking about how to release a fix once we have one, but I can't comment on what we are thinking or when. Usual thing.
</font>
Stephen:

Great stuff. You're a prince among men. I still would love fo ryou and/or Godfrey Chang to come visit me just 5 minutes down the road from your office to get a first hand look at how your Radeon products looks firing through a Sony G90 projector. It will open up new vistas for you, believe me. Thanks again.