I have surfed my fingers off looking - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 05-03-2001, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Gentlemen I have been surfing and e-mailing all day trying to get a mult component input device to the TVs 1 Component input. I am now clear as to, that I also have to have a VGA to Component adapter best price $129.

Ya see folks even cripples can learn new things from the guys that know how. I was confused but I am getting there.

So I am wondering now if I can't get what I want can I run 2 of the same make DVDs in one Component video.

For in looking at Sounds & Visions April edition Panasonic has a 2 component input for $2300 for a 36 inch direct view HDTV model CT-36HX41, 1080I, 480P WITH A BUILT IN LINE DOUBLER, 2 tuner
3-D digital comb filter.

Could the 2 Sony changers be piggy backed into one Component output?
The other being coupled to a VGA to Component adapter. I have not found ANY , Multi componet at all. Including Sima which I have their $119 SV-4 automatic switcher on right now. It switches the 2 dvd changers and the webtv unit, what ever is active.

One other question do I need the box to make it digital if I am Never going to have cable or DSS service. I like to watch full (non cut up) movies and no 17½ minutes an hour commmercials on commercial TV. I have not had it in 2 years and I don't miss it. Thanx

------------------

[This message has been edited by lassy (edited 05-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by lassy (edited 05-03-2001).]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-03-2001, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Lassy,

If I understand you question correctly, I think what you are looking for is a component video switcher. Many modern AV receivers have standard component video switching, but not HD Component. If all you're interested in is DVD, then any one of these receivers will do the job while providing top quality audio decoding. If HDTV is in your future, the VGA switchers can handle RGB HDTV signals, but are generally not AV capable. They will only do video and no audio. In addition, not all switchers are NOT created equal. In particular, cheap KVM switchers are often not the best choice for home theater. There are a few companies that have been in the business of video switching for years and they still produce the most highly regarded equipment. If you search the forum for "video switch" or some other variation you will find a ton of good advice. The least expensive high quality RGB switchers will tend to be electro-mechanical switchers that provide two or three inputs.

Some of the high end equipment is starting to provide true seamless HDTV AV switching but that type of equipment still cost more than the average family vacation for four to Disney Land. But, as with all things in life, you get what you pay for.

[This message has been edited by JoeFloyd (edited 05-04-2001).]
post #3 of 18 Old 05-04-2001, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Joe your partially correct, I need a 3rd component video input, I know I need the adapter from vga to component.

All sound is listened by headphones. I hook directly from phono jacks to my oop pro-logic device to phones.

Should I buy the digital box to upgrade video quality, even though I will not have any services coming in?

You mentioned rgb, what type on connector is that, I am assuming it's coming from the computer also? Please I would like to get this straight.

Faithinme is suggesting I buy component adapter forthe VGA cable coming out to HDTV, your talking rgb which is right or are they the same.

Up to yesterday I was told to buy a long enough vga to vga cable for HTPC, now buy an adapter for $119
to plug into component video do you agree?

------------------

[This message has been edited by lassy (edited 05-04-2001).]

post #4 of 18 Old 05-04-2001, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

OK,

Just to provide a little background info.

There are two common connector formats being used by analog HDTV in the US.

1) High Definition Component
2) RGB

High Definition component is easily confused with standard component video, but HD Component requires much higher signal bandwidth and it's unlikely that a switcher designed for standard definition component will have the required bandwidth to switch HD component without serious degradation of the signal. HD Component uses a video encoding system that encodes the difference between color values. The difference measurement is the parameter being sent through the cable. The connectors used for this connection are typically three separate RCA jacks or maybe three separate BNC jacks, but there may be other connectors that will accept HD component input. More on this a little later.

The second analog video format is RGB. RGB is is exactly the same format used by all VGA video cards and analog monitors. This format mostly uses the standard computer type plug called HD-15. HD-15 is a high density 15 pin connector. You see how creative the engineers are when naming connectors. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif It's also possible to send VGA across a set of individual cables which is often referred to as 5-BNC. With 5-BNC the cables will be labeled R G B H V. These signals are Red/Green/Blue/Horizontal Sync/Vertical Sync. These same signals are found on the standard HD-15 VGA connector so there is nothing really different about the signal being sent across these cables, just the physical connectors.

Just to confuse things a little more, sometimes computer manufactures produced version of VGA cards that used 4 or even 3 BNC connectors for VGA output. These 4 and 3 BNC systems require that the video signal be modified and the monitor be capable of decoding this special signal. For the most part this was only done with UNIX workstations and some high end PC systems. I'm not aware of any HDTV manufacture who has done this type of thing, so hopefully it's just fading into history as a technical foot note.

The last little confusing tid bit, is that many HDTV's can accept HD component on the HD-15 connector. The TV may automatically detect the proper signal or you may have to manually set this using a set-up menu option. This is a nice feature and if available on your TV should be listed somewhere in the manual.

Here is a brief explanation of HD Component taken from

http://www.crs4.it/~luigi/MPEG/mpeggloss-y.html

/**************************** SNIP ************************

YPbPr
If three components are to be conveyed in three separate channels with identical unity excursions, then the Pb and Pr colour difference components are used:
Pb = (0.5/0.886) * (Bgamma - Y)

Pr = (0.5/0.701) * (Rgamma - Y)

These scale factors limit the excursion of EACH colour difference component to -0.5 .. +0.5 with respect to unity Y excursion: 0.886 is just unity less the luma coefficient of blue. In the analog domain Y is usually 0 mV (black) to 700 mV (white), and Pb and Pr are usually +- 350 mV.
YPbPr is part of the CCIR Rec. 709 HDTV standard, although different luma coefficients are used, and it is denoted E'Pb and E'Pr with subscript arrangement too complicated to be written here.

YPbPr is employed by component analog video equipment such as M-II and BetaCam; Pb and Pr bandwidth is half that of luma.

************************** END SNIP ******************************

The important thing to notice here is that HDTV Component is Y Pr Pb encoding. Standard Component video is Y Cb Cr

************************** SNIP **********************************

YCbCr
The international standard CCIR-601-1 specifies eight-bit digital coding for component video, with black at luma code 16 and white at luma code 235, and chroma in eight-bit two's complement form centred on 128 with a peak at code 224. This coding has a slightly smaller excursion for luma than for chroma: luma has 219 risers compared to 224 for Cb and Cr. The notation CbCr distinguishes this set from PbPr where the luma and chroma excursions are identical.
For Rec. 601-1 coding in eight bits per component,

Y_8b = 16 + 219 * Y

Cb_8b = 128 + 112 * (0.5/0.886) * (Bgamma - Y)

Cr_8b = 128 + 112 * (0.5/0.701) * (Rgamma - Y)

Some computer applications place black at luma code 0 and white at luma code 255. In this case, the scaling and offsets above can be changed accordingly, although broadcast-quality video requires the accommodation for headroom and footroom provided in the CCIR-601-1 equations.
CCIR-601-1 Rec. calls for two-to-one horizontal subsampling of Cb and Cr, to achieve 2/3 the data rate of RGB with virtually no perceptible penalty. This is denoted 4:2:2. A few digital video systems have utilized horizontal subsampling by a factor of four, denoted 4:1:1. JPEG and MPEG normally subsample Cb and Cr two-to-one horizontally and also two-to-one vertically, to get 1/2 the data rate of RGB. No standard nomenclature has been adopted to describe vertical subsampling. To get good results using subsampling you should not just drop and replicate pixels, but implement proper decimation and interpolation filters.

YCbCr coding is employed by D-1 component digital video equipment.

***************************** END SNIP ******************************

RGB is simple in comparison.

When it comes to how to hook everything up, that's particular to the equipment. If your TV can accept both HD component and RGB, that makes things easier. If your TV only accepts Component, then you need the transcoder to convert RGB to HD component if you plan on using a HTPC.

When it comes to switching the signals, I'm not sure there will be an easy to to accomplish this. RGB/VGA switchers are fairly cheap, but generally have HD-15 connectors. The more expensive ones might have 5-BNC, but it's actually preferable to have HD-15 connectors since modern displays use some of the extra pins to communicate display information back to the video card.

What is sounds like here is that you need to switch component signals. Is that right??

Auto switching HD Component signals can be done, but I don't know of any cheap devices that will do it. Cheap meaning something that will not cost more than your TV. One idea is to try using the VGA switcher by taking the component outputs and hooking them up to an old 3-BNC VGA cable. You will need some assorted BNC connectors and maybe a HD-15 gender changer. If it works it should provide a very high quality component video switcher, but it may not work. The problem is that the auto switchers detect the presence of a signal using some information about the RGB signal. Without knowing what pin the switcher is looking at, it may be the case the HD Component will not be detected by the switcher and then it will not automatically switch sources. A manual switcher could still be used and some manual switchers have IR remote controls.

Anyway, there are lots of options it you're willing to experiment a little.

post #5 of 18 Old 05-04-2001, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

If this doesn't scare the newbies off, nothing will.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-04-2001, 02:05 PM

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">There are two common connector formats being used by analog HDTV in the US.

</font>
Analog HDTV ?
I may be showing my ignorance but I thought HDTV was digital ?

can anyone explain in simple terms ?
Thanx http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
OLK
post #7 of 18 Old 05-04-2001, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The Denon 5800 receiver (or AVC-A1SE euro model) does HD component switching. Its also a great music amp, I'm boogieing down to some George Michael music right now http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Jeff
post #8 of 18 Old 05-04-2001, 03:52 PM

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JoeFloyd:
Hi Lassy,

If I understand you question correctly, I think what you are looking for is a component video switcher.

-snip-

</font>
Here's what you do to make a component video switcher out of an s-video switcher (this is what I did).

RCA makes a nice little s-video switcher "RCA VH920 Video Source Selector" that can be purchased on Amazon.com for $80. I like it because it learns IR commands to switch sources and does not 'auto-signal select' since I leave my equipment on continuously.

This (and virtually all S-Video selectors) have a composite video input along with the S-vid. This is critical, since this will carry the 'Y' signal from the component video feed. Do not attempt to route video through the L/R audio jacks since these inputs are not impedance controlled at video frequencies.

Purchase N+1 s-video 'breakout cables' (N, being the number of sources you want to switch). These can be difficult to find, but I bought mine at www.hometech.com part number: TCS4180: S-Video to BNC Breakout Cable. These cables separate the Y and C of s-video into 2, 75 ohm coax BNC cables. For each breakout cable you will need 2 "F-BNC to F-RCA" adaptors ($3 each) which you can get at RadioShack or over the web. The Pr and Pb signals will travel through the 2 cables of the s-video breakout. It doesn't matter which one carries Pr or Pb, just be consistent through your hookup.

Then just plug 'Y' in the composite video input of the switcher and the Pr and Pb signals go into the S-video cable. Note you'll need one extra breakout cable for the output to your HD monitor from the switcher.

Ta da! For less than $200 you have a 6 source component-video selector that is good up to 1024x768 computer resolution (that's what I've tested mine up to). See Key Digital for VGA to Component video colorspace converters.

Good luck and e-mail me if you have any questions: sitkom@usa.net

BTW, I have a couple of extra breakout cables for anyone who wants to buy them.

-Sitkom

A bad movie at 1080p is still a bad movie. Content, content, content.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-04-2001, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Joe you are the man, wow that was impressive! Okay in checking my Sony DVD CX860 owners manual I have component Y-PR-PB. Which you & your Kodak url verified it as HDTV component. NOT Y-Cr-Cb as this you pointed out was for analog.

Okay Joe, I believe you based this entire reply on component video labeling. I have Indentified what I have. Now anyone besides Joe who put professional terms down for me
has told me some new things to look for in the HDTV. Just what 36 inch 4:3 Tv to buy is the next question, after that what Computer

I am going by the April Edition of Sounds & Visions magazine who has listed the following HDTV & analog mfrs, in ordr of how i typed each name first one being Hitachi, JVC, Konka, Loewe, Panasonic, Phillips, Princeton Graphics, Proton, RCA/ProScan, Sanyo, Sharp, Sony, Toshiba, & Zenith.

Sanyo, JVC are all analog Toshiba has one 16 X 9 34 inch, I can eliminate those. I am looking for a Direct view 36 inch TV, I only watch one DVD or Vhs movie nightly the rest of the TV viewing will be from the Computer!

I looked at the 2001 Ratshack cat, I couldn't believe it, they have Digital, but NO Component video cables at all!

I am perplexed now to what HDTV I need, I am no looking at prices at all. Ithught the Panasonic with 2 component in and 2 vga inputs would be the way to go, I must find a way to change the 3 wires at the back of the 2 changers without falling on A.. from leaning to far out of my wheel chair, no laughing matter to me.

I was pretty sure waking up today I was goning to be buying $129 vga to component switcher and the 2 comp input & 2 vga input connector Panasonic CT-36H41 with built in line doubler for $2,300 but with Joes data on rgb connecters I have become perplexed again. I wish someone would tell me exactly what TV sized 36 inch, what computer to HDTV hookup which also would include one DVD I must learn of a way to switch between the two. Also what name, model number of computer that would go along with this surfing on HTPC.

That I would like to have as my eyes have looked up on a big TV screen for webtv. I prefer to have it the same way on my HTPC also. Webtv just doesn't have what I need anymore. I have out grown it's usefulness, and that bugger of a ten minute, time out disconnect they have, is a real pain in the A..

------------------

post #10 of 18 Old 05-04-2001, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I must apologize, I'm making this sound much more complicated than it really is. When I used the term analog HDTV I'm trying to make the distinction between passing HDTV signals between components using the traditional analog formats and the new digital formats based on Firewire and DVI. These two digital formats are not yet common, but they will become so over the next few years. In fact, if some will have their way, analog HDTV will disappear while being replaced by copy protected digital formats.

When it comes to switching HD component video, great care must be paid to the bandwidth of the switching device. S-Video does not provide enough bandwidth for standard component video, so the solution presented by sitkom is not appropriate for standard component video sources let alone HD component video sources. If there is one spec to look for in the switching component it would be the signal bandwidth. 350 Mhz is a good target to shoot for if HDTV is the signal being carried.

Cables are almost a religious topic in the audio and video world. The most important thing about cables is not how much they cost, but how well they carry the signal. Component video cables are designed to be 75 ohm coax cables which is pretty much any good quality video cable on the market. Nothing too fancy, but something more substantial than the Radio Shack special.

When it comes to the choice of TV, the majority of the forum members are firmly in the camp of Wider is Better. HDTV is meant to be seen on a widescreen TV. It may seem that your paying more for less, what you're really doing is ensuring that your TV is future proof. Most DVD will also take advantage of the widescreen TV, so there are reasons other than watching HDTV to get the weird looking widescreen TV.

I suggest looking at the HDTV Hardware forum. You will find many many reviews of HDTV sets that provide all the features you will need. A good example is the Sampo 34 inch 16:9 flat screen HDTV with RGB and component video inputs. it can be found for less than $3000 and is a great TV for the money.

post #11 of 18 Old 05-04-2001, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Joe I appreciate making it more simpler than some other really tech to tech, than tech to newbie.

My problem is space, I live in a small disabled apartment. The Sharp TV is a 32 inch, I only have about 1 foot + with A/V rack to Air Conditioner, next to tv is my bedroom door. I know about 34 inch 16 X 9 but the screen width is actally 27 inches, all of the mfrs measure their tv diagonally.
so in actuality the 27 inches across in only 1.5 inches bigger than what I have for a heck of a lot more money. If I go to a 36 inch HDTV I now beat the 27 inch across by 2 inches accross black bars don't affect me when I watch ovies at night with the lights ouyt all you see is the wide screen movie from one of my DVD changers.

Joe I sorry to say this but I am going to live the rest of life in this apartment. I am 54 the career destroying accident was in 1985. I am the youngest man in the whole 114 apartment buldings A & B both have 57 apartments to them.

As much as I would love to have a big wide screen I must face the reality. That I do't have the space nor can I sit any farther away my present Tv depth is 21½ inches from the wall to my 'day' lounger is 6 feet.

Also to be honest with you I can't get 'out' to actually see what wide screen tv looks like. I have never seen one in person only pictures. When I want to see a new movie I have to buy it, I can't get any of these 80+ year olds to run over to the video shop they don't drive like me. I must face reality, unless the mfrs can come up with a 32 inch screen width 16 X 9 all I see is projection tv-s that are deep in depth to the wall which would bring my eye depth perception closer at what point can a person view a wide screen tv
at 6 feet or less?

They all seem to hover between the 34 inch direct or 53 inches with nothing in between unless it would be plasma or l.c.d. to which the lamp only has 1000 hours to burn out. For you that work fine but me I have nothing else better to do I average 10,800 minutes a month online that is 6 hours a day for a 30 day period. There are quite few 31 day months, there is no weekends or holidays all days are the same.

------------------

post #12 of 18 Old 05-04-2001, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Lassy,

There are some very good widescreen computer displays that are smaller than traditional TV's but also have much greater resolution. Right now these displays are not very affordable, but you may want to give some thought to writing one of the companies producing these displays letting them know some of the particulars of your situation.

As an example, I'm writing this response on a IBM Thinkpad while watching a DVD. This particular machine has a very high resolution 15.1 inch TFT LCD screen, so the picture is very nice when viewing from only a couple feet away. There are similar standalone widescreen (or 4:3) displays that will meet your needs very well. These types of LCD displays are very space efficient and are perfectly suited to both computer and HDTV. Again, these displays are cutting edge technology, but it may be the best solution to your set of needs.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-05-2001, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Joe Hi I read your reply it was bit vague, I don't have a problem with affording it. O/T In 1986 1 year after my accident my company cut my disability payments I got an attorney who said we have a case that's worth going after.

I got into 'no win' situation, I deliberatly jacknifed the tractor trailer, it was that or hit car with 4 children in the back seat.
Some 89 year old man decided to back up in the middle lane of the 6 lane I-95 IN CT.

We had just rounded a mountain, when pulling out of it. I seen back up lights in the middle lane! I looked into my left side mirror, I seen a yellow pickup truck and k-rails (concrete dividers) & the family car I was passing.

I was in my COE (cab over engine) being taller than a conventional, I could see large boulders in the high grass. I couldn't in good conscience, push them off the road into the boulders, to avoid old man backing up to the exit, he had missed.

The CT troopers told me, I had made up my mind in 110 feet to save the family! The family in seeing what I did to avoid hurting their children, coppied the mans license as he had continued to back up and was heading up the ramp to get away.

So now you know why I am in a wheelchair, and why I 'can' sleep with a 'good' conscience!

My attorney won my case and the company settled in sept of 1999. She got 1/3, but I still got 2/3 and, a great continuing disability income for life. My Lady attorney won big, I have always had women in my mind as equal to men.

Winning that case against a big unionized company was no small feat! She was determined to win for what I had done to preserve the childrens lives, and to compensate me for what my actions did to my body and career, end of O/T.

Now Joe with that in mind all I have to is realize that the value of money has gone down. That the money I have, can buy me just what I want for my 'rainy day has come'
I don't have to save anymore, now it's time to spend some of what I have now.

I need to have all gear ready for the pro (TV) to put together with my Component switcher and two DVD changers.

When you and others help me to decide on just what computer and video card etc will please me to no end. I will need a 2nd Pro (puter) put the pieces together,
and hook up the vga cable with the Comp. adapter running accross the room under a carpet to HDTV Component Input! Joe I have the money, it's burning a hole in my pocket, with my personal expenses paid I stll have $700 a month to spend other wise my bank account goes up even further, Yeah I never imagined in my wildest dreams of those 14 years, that I would have a pile of money, and that I had to spend $700 a month on DVDs or other stuff per month. I have filled a 300 c/d changer, the Pioneer changer was $249, I can thank all my friends for taking BMG for a ride. Getting the 12 quitting I gave them the money. then to do it all over again until the 300 were bought.

DVD's on the other hand I have used Columbia House a number of times, I average 18 DVDs a month.
I now own 298 DVDs, I filled the 200 CX850D, now I am on the 300 CX360, both were made By Sony. Joe I don't need to tell you the '$ amount' of that plastic, wheter it's CD or DVD format.

I just have to find a HDTV that will fill my needs paying for it is easy. The Same goes with the computer, I have no car o its expenses, I have no medical insurance, for I am 36 years Naturopath and keep my body healthy and Diabetes controlled.

Only insurance I pay for is fire. My life insurance was picked up by the company, for I met their terms of a life time disability. I get a check every year, even though they are paying the premiums themselves.

So I am checking out HDTV mfrs daily, if you Joe or anyone sees what I am after please respond.

------------------

post #14 of 18 Old 05-05-2001, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Joe I read you, but there isn't a component switcher out there to put 3 phono jacked coax cables out there. I surfed my fingers off the other day trying to find a good one. Sima said they would have one at the end of summer I just hope they know what you do Joe, about using coax cable. I can't believe
Matsushita gave me such a hard time. Their site used to be webtv compatible, but now they have non webtv compatible Adobe Acrobat
on and no contact e-mail address their only contact is if you already own their product what a mess, no 800 number to call for a brochure and specifications. If webtv would only realize how far backwards they are. They want to end the lbb and sell us UltimateTV with an ultimate monthly service
estimate $51 a month includes Direct TV DSS, which I could care less about besides I live in a apartment that faces east.

Joe after I get this HDTV, I want a real computer not this mess. I am tired of their 10 minute timeouts your typing with 2 phone line they break and the sign says "we broke for you talk on your phone" only mine is dedicated to webtv. How do they suppose I am goig to answer as their are no phones connected to it. Yet they do it ask any user from webtv about the 10 minute timeout, or the spell checker that works when it wants to!

------------------

post #15 of 18 Old 05-05-2001, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Lassy:

___I do not know if you have seen any of this or not but you have a far greater choice for Apartment HT via HTPC than you think. Our former Moderator, Mark Rejhon, had a 7 or 8†gunned NEC HD FP in a reasonably small apartment and Dean Roddey created a nice thread entitled: New pics of my HTPC based HT where he had a similar 7†gunned DWIN setup. You can truly place a lot of HT into a small space nowadays. If you purchase an automatic drop down screen and one of the many small digital HD FP’s or even a ceiling mounted CRT, you can experience HT the way it was supposed to be enjoyed. The big screen truly makes this work much better than any 3x†DV display and the costs are not that far out of line. I know individuals picking up HQ LCD FP’s in the $1500.00 range if that helps.

___In either case, I hope you find exactly what you are looking for in a HD display to fit your particular needs.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___ xcel@midwest.idsonline.com

------------------
New E-Mail address for the time being ... waynegerdes@earthlink.net
post #16 of 18 Old 05-05-2001, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Wayne that looked like a piece of Heaven, could you just imagine the look I would get if I asked my apartment manager If I could put a projector on the ceiling.

Well I fill you in, he would say didn't we say to you back in 1999 NO, when you asked if would be okay for an electrician to put a ceiling fan in your apartment to stay for the next tenant. Geesh
he wouldn't even let me put a ceiling fan in by a paid installer
thats kind of low don't you think
?

Wayne I live in the 'elderly' and disabled apartments. I am 54 to the lowest age 73 and highest 89
even though I am crippled they say your just a kid you've your whole life in front of you yet.

2 of the old biddies came up to me in the last 2 years your my long lost son aren't you? I say no, but if they were taken shopping, and they asked the wrong type, he would yea mom lets talk about in this alley. The rest you would read in the newspaper, under elderly woman attacked or who died after being beaten for $19 in her purse!

No this 54 year old Man not kid, I am sure if I broke the law, I wouldn't be treated as a kid!

This life in your apartment is swinging, I had to wire all devices into a OOP from VLS to put all of heaven forbid Rock n Roll music in my closed cup headphones. I was first introduced to them by writer Brent Butterworth, his name ring a bell, from Home Theatre Magazine circa 1994. Brent is now the Director of marketing for Dolby Laboraries.

------------------

[This message has been edited by lassy (edited 05-05-2001).]

post #17 of 18 Old 05-05-2001, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Lassy:

___It sounds like your volume problems are not a problem http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif In either case, you can purchase many Digital HD FP’s that sit on a coffee table or similar. You can hang a clean bedsheet on the wall for a quick and dirty solution but the many varieties of 16:9 and 4:3 screens available to you will work almost as easy as hanging a picture on the wall. Just do not give up on your ability to have a real nice setup without much space in your apartment is all. At 54, I think I would go with a Big Screen vs. a 3x†DV display if I could make it work.

___Good Luck with whatever display you choose.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___ xcel@midwest.idsonline.com

------------------
New E-Mail address for the time being ... waynegerdes@earthlink.net

[This message has been edited by xcel (edited 05-05-2001).]
post #18 of 18 Old 05-05-2001, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you exel, I am just bewildered by the lack of specifications of the Mitsubishi
46 some other numbers. It's their only 46 inch, I can't get them off their website, maybe one of the forum members can help with the platinum series wide screen. I am ready to buy it a local dealer has it for $1999 plus $120 for the gov and $30 dlivery charge.

What I am specifically interested in his how many component video inputs does it have. Do I need to buy the digital box for computer and DVD watching. Their will never be any cable or DSS service. I just don't want to watch regular commercial tv anymore just movies.

------------------

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page