Help: Getting Multimedia keys working on keyboard - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-04-2001, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a win98 keyboard and it has multimedia keys( play, pause, fastforward, etc) that I want to get to work. I have win2000 so the software will not install. Is there anyway to get WinDVD to recognize multimedia keyboards?

Tim

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-04-2001, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did you try Girder? It is GREAT!!

I have a very similar situation and use WIN2K exclusively.

I bought a Logitech wireless keyboard (RF) which has quite a few extra 'multimedia' keys on it.
I did not load the included software as I wanted to program it's extra multimedia keys to control accessDTV, such as Forward,Reverse.

It took a bit of fiddling with Girder and some help from the folks on the Girder forum but it works like a champ controlling accessDTV.

My bet is that you could do the same thing with WinDVD under WIN2K.

Joe

post #3 of 10 Old 05-04-2001, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm, I have Girder laying around here somewhere taking up space on my harddrive. I will give it a shot. If it doesn't work out of the box I will take a look at the forum. Thanx for the suggestion.

Tim

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-05-2001, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Joe,

How did you get Girder to recognize the RF signals ?? Where they transmitted as complex keystrokes and therefor acquirable under the keyboard input mode ???

------------------
PhatPhreddy@Bigfoot.com
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater
post #5 of 10 Old 05-05-2001, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Logically,this keyboard acts like it is directly connected to the PS2 keyboard connector on the PC.

Physically, it's the RF receiver that is REALLY connected to the PS2 connector.
I was pleasantly surprised to see that Windows 2000 did not know the difference ie. NO special drivers were needed. Just plugged it in and turned the PC back on.

I used the keyboard plugin in Girder. I added new commands with the Command Icon (The one that looks like a question mark) by putting it in capture mode and capturing the mouse events when I clicked on Forward,Reverse,Pause,etc.

Then I assigned these mouse events with Learn mode to the multimedia keys.

I think that is what you are saying.

Joe
post #6 of 10 Old 05-05-2001, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, Girder doesn't seem to be working for my keyboard. None of the multimedia keys are recognized. I don't see the ? mark icon in girder but I didn't find a button labeled learn event. Girder can recognize the regular keys just not the multimedia keys.

tim

post #7 of 10 Old 05-05-2001, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Tim,
I am a bit surprised since this Logitech Itouch Keyboard generates codes for every key on it and the Windows Multimedia keyboard you are using should too. That's the only way any SW could hook onto it in Windows to do anything.
Since I had a no-name PS2 keyboard when I first installed WIN2K, perhaps in your case Windows 2000 is loading a Microsoft specific driver instead of a generic keyboard driver?

In Girder,have you enabled the keyboard under file->settings->hardware plugins?
Also, the green LED looking icon should blink from green to yellow everytime you press a key.

Maybe my description of the question mark icon was poor. As I look at it, it looks more like one of those cartoon question clouds and it has an exclamation point (!) in it.

Beyond that, I make no claims to be an expert on Girder http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Heck, I am still learning all the cool things you can do with it.

Perhaps you should ask in the Girder forum at:
http://www.stack.nl/~stilgar/windoze/girder.html

Like here, folks there are very helpful.

Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe Q (edited 05-05-2001).]
post #8 of 10 Old 05-05-2001, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I've tried manually changing the keyboard driver to the Microsoft Natural keyboard Pro, it has multimedia keys on it but that didn't seem to help. I wonder if the logitech drivers would help. who knows.

Tim

post #9 of 10 Old 05-05-2001, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TimHuey:
Well I've tried manually changing the keyboard driver to the Microsoft Natural keyboard Pro, it has multimedia keys on it but that didn't seem to help. I wonder if the logitech drivers would help. who knows.

Tim
</font>
Tim,
Here is what Win2k's Device Manager says for my keyboard driver:

"Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Leyboard"
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 11/14/1999
Driver Version: 5.0.2183.1

Driver Details:
\\WINNT\\System32\\Drivers\\i8042prt.sys
File Version 5.00.2192.1
\\WINNT\\System32\\Drivers\\kbdclass.sys
File Version 5.00.2164.1

This is the standard keyboard driver - NOT any Logitech one.

Joe

post #10 of 10 Old 05-05-2001, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Tim,

I think you may be in the same sinking ship that I'm in. I have the Webboard IR KB, and found the same things as you did. The only things I can control with the m/m keys are the Webboards own CD and VCD players. I don't believe the software disc that comes with it even has keyboard drivers in it. If it does, they don't show up in Device Manager.

I can assign .exe files and launch applications with the m/m keys, but that's about it.

My goal was to teach m/m functions to my Pronto. I tried Girder and personally found it to be non-intuitive. I borrowed IRMan from a buddy and all of my m/m functions are now on my Pronto. I know Girder is more powerful, but anything that takes me half a day to learn isn't worth it to me for the simple thing I was trying to do.

I have the Logitech RF board as well, and like Joe says, it works right out of the box. I just wish it was IR.

I think the problems we are having is the reason most everyone goes with the Airboard. It's m/m keys will command WinDVD and PDVD(amoung others I'm sure), whereas the webboard does not.

Chris

My Home Theater is a work in progress.
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page