Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Saw this on Slashdot:

http://cryptome.org/hdcp-v1.htm

------------------
Cal Z.
Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100
and
Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)
crz@andrew.cmu.edu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-06-2001, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Liked: 10
Big Companies will use this first, then consumers, well they probably never will. The repeater idea and the company who invented it was used by Time Warner Inc. during one of their stock shows a few months back. I remember cuz I saw it during a business trip to NYC. They used live video streamed, but had difficulties with audio, so they went via satellite for that. Overall, the head CEO of the transmitting company expected only to get business from Companies on dedicated lines, etc.. due to technical (cost to rollout) issues.

post #3 of 6 Old 05-06-2001, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I can very much understand why the intellectual property middlemen would like this much control over a user's activities. There is a very big push to force this.

Thankfully however it will probably never fly, at least on computers. Even if implemented, the horror stories from early adopters of problems with backups, extra licensing requirements, DirectTV type escaped key cancelations, upgrades, 3rd party support, migrations, false violation accusations, open source problems, etc., would be enough to disgust everyone.

Remember that security on computers is only as good as the weakest link in the chain. A computer designed with no weak links (from the MPAA view) would not otherwise really be very desirable to most people.

- Tom

------------------
(This sentience has tree errors.)

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #4 of 6 Old 05-06-2001, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 83
As the security people say, its very easy to make a completely secure system. Just don't provide any way for the outside world to interact with it. That somewhat reduces its usefulness, but it is definitely secure.

------------------
Dean Roddey
The CIDLib C++ Frameworks
droddey@charmedquark.com
www.charmedquark.com

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #5 of 6 Old 05-06-2001, 04:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

On the other hand, the majority of security threats are internal rather than external.

You can certainly get data from a secure system out...on sneakernet if nothing else...

As far as the MPAA goes, nothing is going to stop someone in Asia from breaking the system and bootlegging large quantities of HD material if there's a buck to be made. And it's not likely that this hacked material won't make its way to a Napster of the future...

Nigel
post #6 of 6 Old 05-06-2001, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">As far as the MPAA goes, nothing is going to stop someone in Asia from breaking the system and bootlegging large quantities of HD material if there's a buck to be made. And it's not likely that this hacked material won't make its way to a Napster of the future...</font>
If all this protection actually came into being then it's likely that a pirate using a DV Cam with a close up lens pointed at a small protected screen could sell me a copy that was better than I would be legally allowed to view with my current analog input RPTV.

And by that time I would probably be mad enough that I would buy it too.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

- Tom

------------------
(This sentience has tree errors.)

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page