dTV settings for viewing sports - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-05-2001, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been trying different DEINTERLACE settings while watching the NHL and NBA playoffs, yet I am not satisfied with the results...

Does anybody have suggestions?

------------------
-macdaddy

visit www.theHarangue.com

-macdaddy

visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-05-2001, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

macdaddy -

There have been various posts on this but a quick search couldn't find the better ones, so I'll summarize. When watching sports, turn off AutoPulldown and for the Deinterlace method choose:

1) Video (2-Frame)

2) If that doesn't work, choose Blended Clip and max all but the last 2 sliders all the way to the right.

3) If that still has to many motion artifacts, choose either Simple Bob or Scaler Bob, whichever has less jitter on your graphics card.

Finally, the upcoming (sometime) dTV release should have a new one called Greedy 2-Frame that looks pretty good in sports, written by John Adcock.

I'm also working on a new one more specially targeted at high motion stuff like sports, but it likely will not be ready for the next release. Sorry.

I think by the next release dTV will have the capability of adding new binary Deinterlace plug-ins on the fly, so I can add it anytime later, as time permits.

- Tom

------------------
(This sentience has tree errors.)

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at
post #3 of 4 Old 05-06-2001, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the information. I spent a while searching, but did not find anything, either. The video (2 frame)works nicely. The problem with this stuff is once you start looking at the artifacts, you see them everywhere (especially during sports with the horizontal pans and up and down motion)...

Is there a feature/tweak/plugin? that will sharpen the image? I am seeing "auras" around the basketball players (like when a camera is out of focus). Does anyone have any suggestions?

------------------
-macdaddy

[This message has been edited by theREALmacdaddy (edited 05-06-2001).]

-macdaddy

visit
post #4 of 4 Old 05-06-2001, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Many thanks for the tips; the Lakers and the Kings came in better than I had ever seen. I found the blend method to do the best job of eliminating artifacts.

I have a couple of related questions I thought I would float to the community...

I have read various posts regarding refresh rates. What would be the optimal refresh rate setting for viewing via a computer monitor?

Which pixel width is the best to use?

What are the differences between color U and color V?

I have been setting all of these by sight, trial, and error; I know there has got to be a more systematic method than that.

Is there a way to add/change/bind hotkeys?

Thanks (in advance).

------------------
-macdaddy

-macdaddy

visit
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page