Choosing a display - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-06-2001, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If as you say, the room is 'dedicated' do you have control of the light... can you easily get control of ambient light ??? If so without any hesitation I would say go FP....

HT is (to me) a totally different experience with a FP unit and a lot of fun can be had with a $4k budget...

You already have (and seem comfortable with) the idea of a HTPC and this is the biggest hurdle in the cheap end of the FP display chain so... Grab a budget FP display unit (even 600 - 800 lumens is fine if you have total light control...

I dont have full ambient light control but am still very happy that I took the plunge... I live with the drawbacks but at night project a crystal clear >100 inch 16x9 DVD image and also play +- 80' 4:3 games in the daytime it is washed out but this is the limitation of my room (one full wall of windows, open plan apartment etc) not the machine...

------------------
PhatPhreddy@Bigfoot.com
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

[This message has been edited by Phat Phreddy (edited 05-06-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-06-2001, 01:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm very glad to hear that. I love the total aspect ratio control that seems to be possible with FP/HTPC. I have Matrox G450s and GeForce2s lying around.. The ATI cards are dirt cheap, and I'm not afraid of any level of PC modification. I'm not very good at surface mount soldering, but I'm not afraid to break equipment improving my skills. I'm already quite familiar with PC video, due to all my work with VirtualDub, etc, etc.

The only incoming light to the room is a sliding glass door. Currently, it has a "hanging slat" adjustable curtain thingum.. It would be easy to replace it with something thicker for complete light control.

Now.. Can you suggest a particular model, or set of models that I should be looking into? I have a fairly decent understanding of the strengths and limitations of the four projector technologies, but the only ones I have used personally are significantly more expensive units at my office.
Basically, I just need a data-grade projector that can resolve at least 960 x 540?
post #3 of 6 Old 05-06-2001, 10:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

At some point in the next 6 months, I'll be ready to move to HD.
I barely watch any television programming; perhaps 1 hour per week. However, along with all my widescreen DVDs, I have a pretty substantial anime DVD collection, the majority of which is in 4:3 format. My "theatre" (ha ha ha) is actually in a dedicated room, but it's not particularly large. The distance from the wall to the front of the couch is exactly 9FT. I'd like to keep the cost of the TV at $4000 or less. My current DVD source is a Pioneer Elite DVL-90, but I have all the parts lying around to build an extreme HTPC. Alternately, I will just grab a nice progressive scan DVD player. (Pioneer Elite DV-37?)
Restated: I'd like the best display in this price range for use with widescreen (soon to be progressive scan) DVD, in a relatively small room, for $4000, that also has flexible viewing options for my "legacy" 4:3 DVD collection, and a connection that either directly supports HTPCs, or that can be modified to support them. I don't really have a strong preference amongst RPTV, FPTV, or direct-view. I quite like some of the new 30-34" 16:9 direct-view sets, but they don't seem like a particularly good screen surface area to dollar ratio.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-07-2001, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think this needs to go to another forum but...

Much of this decision comes down to the cost performance trade off... you may get lucky with a second hand DILA (maybe that should say very lucky at $4k http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif)... plenty of LCD / DLP presentation models but good return policies are a must for dead pixels, poor blacks, and objectionable screen door effect (LCD) or rainbowing (DLP)...

You need to see what you find suitable for you... If HD content is available to you getting onto the DILA bandwagon (at SXGA) would probably be my recommendation but you will be looking for B-stock or used if you are after a G11 or more...

Check the Digital Projector forum for better advice...

------------------
PhatPhreddy@Bigfoot.com
post #5 of 6 Old 05-07-2001, 09:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

OK. One last question before I move to another forum.. You suggest a DLP/D-ILA projector, rather than CRT?
post #6 of 6 Old 05-07-2001, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's a toughie...

CRT is better in performance terms but not as bright... If you have a dedicated room... and total light control CRT is beautiful but... they need convergence... are huge and heavy.. are hard to move etc...

Digital is less good at making absolute black (but now with calibrated Dila and grey screens they are much better) and each technology has its own drawbacks but... they are easily moveable... require very little setup.. mate very well with HTPC's... can be very bright (enough to fight against some ambient light) basically you do compromise marginally on quality but very much more convenient...

For my situation CRT is out (rented apartments, regular moving, some light difficulties) as I use my projector as a regular big screen TV display etc and its on 6 - 8 hours a day... This kind of day to day usage does not go well with living in a darkened room which is what CRT really needs...

I guess you can tell which I would buy but I do appreciate the detail and beauty of a well converged and set up CRT in a 100% dark room...

Go and have fun demo'ing http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif !!

------------------
PhatPhreddy@Bigfoot.com
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page