Closed Thread

post #1 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All:

___First off, please forgive me for the fact that this post is way OT but may be more important than any I have done in the past.

___Here is a picture of my "Pride and Joy" named Scotty and myself from ~ two years ago.

http://www.compucheap.com/photos/xcel.jpg

___As any parent knows, there is nothing more important to any of us than the health of our beloved children. I have been away from both the forum and my home to answer E-Mail for the past 4 days while trying to cope with my 8 yr. old son’s recent diagnosis of a common form of Leukemia called acute lymphoblastic leukemia or "ALL" for short. My son had been sick with on again/off again flu-like symptoms for a number of weeks prior to this but nothing can prepare you for this. During our second visit to our family physician some two weeks ago, she requested a blood workup to hopefully find a cause to his fevers. Nothing really abnormal appeared in the blood workup at that point in time so we were requested to keep him on std. Tylenol type treatments for the ongoing flu like symptoms. Given that my son was still having cyclic fevers into the three-week mark, our physician requested that we go in for more extensive testing at one of our local Hospitals that she was affiliated with. This testing did not show any kind of large abnormalities since all anyone was looking for was Mono. This test did however show higher than normal (for being sick) elevated White Blood Cell counts and lowered Platelet levels. With these results we were immediately referred to Chicago’s Children’s Memorial Hospital. Within 2 hours, we found out what was causing Scotty’s sickness and were notified of the above. The reason why I wanted to post this is that the symptoms appear to be very flu like and can happen to anyone. If you see these type of ongoing symptom’s in your own children, please get them tested as the Life you save may very well be their own.

___This news has been absolutely devastating to my entire family, the many relatives who have been contacted, as well as myself. If there is a positive to this type of illness, it is in the fact that it is the most common and curable form of Leukemia. My son is currently in his second day of Chemotherapy and is receiving the treatments as well as can be expected. With this particular form of Leukemia, survival rates exceed 85% and with the std. early detection and the fact that he is currently at one of the best Hospitals in the Midwest this side of St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital in Memphis, his care and outlook could not be better.

___In the mean time, I cannot and have not been moderating like I should so if you could all chip in and e-mail directly the poster of any type of warez links, OT postings, or personal attacks, our forum should be as clean as it has been in the past. If you need assistance with this, please contact David Bott at avsadmin@avscience.com and he will be able to step in for the next two days at least.

___I know my E-Mail has been stacking up and all I can do is try to give out information the best I know how. Hopefully this helps those that are probably contacting me by E-Mail since I have no way to get to it currently …

___Michael F., my daughter told me that you had called and that you have your HTPC so all we need to do is go over the training on how to use your new toy. If you need this immediately, you can contact me here at the hospital at (773) 880-4000 Rm. # 407, bed 1. If you can wait, I should be home by Monday afternoon at the latest. William B., I swapped out your ELSA GeForce2 GTS for the Radeon “LE†and can ship on Monday. Ivo W., I am still awaiting Maxtor’s replacement drive for the one you had sent me. Mark, L. If you need any assistance on the Custom T&R’s we discussed, I still owe you the training on that as well. Jonathon S., my absence caught me by surprise and your HTPC is still at my house with your new address still attached. Larry V. and Gordon F., by now, all of your parts should be in and I can begin the builds here very shortly. Josh F., send me an E-Mail when you are back home in Georgia.

___If someone could also contact Alan Gouger and thank him for the MS disks last week. My son was enjoying MS’s “Crimson’s Skies†and “Motocross Madness 2†so much that he actually broke my old MS Sidewinder Precision Pro! I have already ordered my son as a "Get well soon" present a brand new performance gaming HTPC of his own including the following, which will bring this post on topic for some of us …

MB: Asus A7V133
CPU: AMD 1.0 GHz T-Bird (AX1A stepping)
CPU F/HS: GlobalWin FOP-32
SDRAM: 256 MB of Micron PC133 CAS2 SDRAM
VC: My ELSA GeForce2 GTS
SC: Creative Live Value II
NIC: Netgear 10/100 BaseT
TUNER: Hauppauge WinTV-D card from the JR deal one of our members found the other day (Thank You!)
HD: Maxtor 30 GB DiamondMax Plus 40
CD/DVD-ROM: Toshiba SD-M1502
FD: TEAC FD
CASE: Antec KS282 case in white w/ the Antec 300 W PS
Monitor: CTX PL9 19â€
Joystick: A new Sidewinder Precision 2 joystick
Speakers: Onkyo TX-DS575 w/ Polk Bookshelves and a Velodyne Sub.

___I can only hope this will help make the next two year "ordeal" go by that much easier for my “Pride and Joy†…

___Good Luck to you all and if you find the time today, please say a prayer for my son “Scotty†in particular.

As another edit 12:15 AM 05/07/01 … Scotty is in a phase what the Oncologists call “remissionâ€. This is a good thing in that no cancer cells can be detected in his blood at this time. He now moves to a stage of treatment where they extend the treatments out but with higher doses and more and differing drug therapies. The harsher treatments begin on Wednesday morning with 2 day Hospital stays every 3 weeks. This is the most critical phase in that if he does not hold remission, than we are looking at possible last ditch efforts. My little boy is as tough as nails but it is very hard to see any child go through this.

___I am speaking not only for myself but the entire Gerdes family when I say, “Thank you from the bottom of our heartsâ€. There is nothing that can compare to the support of all of you who have contacted me via both this thread and personally via E-Mail. I am certainly hoping that I get the chance to tell you all of some great news in the future. Again, “Thank Youâ€.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___ xcel@midwest.idsonline.com

[This message has been edited by xcel (edited 05-07-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My heart & players go out to you and your family. Whatever I can do, in some small way to help, count me in. You have gone above & beyond the call of duty many times for us forum members and I believe it is our time to help you out.
Godspeed to you and your family.

------------------
Wayne Harrelson
Springfield, Va
http://www.geocities.com/wayneharrel...HTPC_Page.html

http://www.mp3.com/karnis
post #3 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Wayne,

My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Adam
post #4 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 02:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Bryan
post #5 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wayne,

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.

Steve

------------------
Our Home Theater
post #6 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 03:36 PM

A prayer goes out to Scotty and your family from here, and I know he'll be enjoying Motocross Madness 4.

Dan
post #7 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Godspeed to your son and your entire family, Wayne

Andrew, Susan and Sonya

------------------

Don't anthropomorphize computers - they hate it.

Anon

Even Frederick thought his grandfather's work was doodoo before he gave it a stab
post #8 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 05:05 PM

Wayne,

The very best to you and yours. Your family is in my prayers.

Don't forget I am waiting on your bill for my htpc.

Good luck,
Clark Kilby
post #9 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Wayne -
Our thoughts go out to you and your family.

Michael, Sandra, Ariel, & Jason
post #10 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 06:14 PM

Our Father...
post #11 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Best wishes for Scotty's recovery.

John

------------------
John

John
post #12 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 06:23 PM

Best of wishes to your son and your family will be in our prayers as well..
post #13 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Wayne -

It's hard to know what to say when hearing news like this. But know that all of our hearts and prayers are with you and your family.

- Tom

[This message has been edited by trbarry (edited 03-31-2001).]

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #14 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 07:15 PM

Wayne,

Wishing you and your family the best and a quick and complete recovery for your son.

-Mike and Susan
post #15 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 07:28 PM

Hope your son recovers rapidly, and may God help the entire family through these trying times.
post #16 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 07:41 PM

Wayne,

I am very sorry to hear about Scotty, I hope and pray that he will be cured soon. Please know that some of us here understand your suffering and, having gone through similar tragic and devastating moments, are with you all the way through.

All the best to you and your family.

Renura
post #17 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Makes you realize that HDTV, HTPC, drivers, tweaks and upgrades aren't that important after all.

Perspective.

God Bless.

Bob

Bob
post #18 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Wayne,

It's hard to know what to say at time like this.

Although we have never met, I feel like I know you. The warmth and wisdom of your posts have helped so many here, me in particular. As a father of two small boys (4 and 2) I get a knot in my stomach any time either of them is ill. For you and your family, this must have been devastating. Scotty looks a fine strong boy and with your love and the doctors help he will be moderating this forum himself in a couple of years.

Don't hurry back, Scotty needs you more than we do and while your away the forum will be in good hands.

Take care my friend

------------------
------------
Simon Wilson

------------
Simon Wilson
My Naff Home Page
post #19 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Wayne,

wishing you and your family the best from across the Atlantic...

Regards, RC

Regards, RC
post #20 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

My thoughts and prayers go out to your family.

Don't worry about the forum we will all behave.

Hugo
post #21 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Wayne,
Dealing with a serious illness in the family can be very difficult. I wish your son a quick recovery and peace through this stressful time. Your family has my prayers.
post #22 of 89 Old 03-31-2001, 10:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Best wishes , as the father of an autistic child I can relate completely on how important a situation such as this can be . My son is frequently sick and each time I almost cry for him as he cannot tell me what hurts or how he feels . I hope we all appreciate how special our children are and never take them for granted . I will say a prayer for you and your son and all the rest of you that have children which fill all our lives with so much joy . Get well soon little man , we are all pulling for you http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif !!!
Thank you all for the strength and kindness , It helped me as well.
-DGP- Jason B.

------------------
Creative Minds Inc. (CMI)
post #23 of 89 Old 04-01-2001, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Wayne, I dont want this to come across as trivial but 'me too' is pretty much all I can add to the above sentiments... I am not someone with religion or belief structure but if 'good vibes' count for anything your son will be on my mind and wish him and you strength to come through this OK...

I trust the forum will maintain itself for as long as it needs to and for Gods sake man relax a little about other peoples builds...

This is the first forum I have ever participated in with this level of connection with its members... Things like this suddenly make you realise these hundreds of typed conversations build up into one hell of a rapport...

------------------
PhatPhreddy@Bigfoot.com
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater
post #24 of 89 Old 04-01-2001, 01:51 AM

Wayne,

You are an inspiration to all us. Your dedication as the moderator and passionate HTPC pioneer is truly admirable. We should all be grateful for the help and guidance you've given us. Now, your son needs you more than we do. Our HTPC tweaks can wait. Please tell Scotty that he has many many forum fans here pulling for him. With the monster PC you are building for him, he will be a HTPC guru in no time.

Pete
post #25 of 89 Old 04-01-2001, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Wayne

My prayers are with you and your family remember the prayer Foot Steps when you you can't see gods foot steps that the time he is carrying you

------------------
KJ

KJ
post #26 of 89 Old 04-01-2001, 08:13 AM

Wayne,

My best wishes go out to Scotty, you and all your family. I hope to hear good news from you soon.

And in the meantime, don't worry about this Forum too much. We all appreciate your excellent posts, but I'm sure everybody can understand that there are things more important than computers, home theaters etc.

We will miss your knowledge and experience, but I'm sure it is only temporary and soon we'll be able to read your new, not on topic, post anouncing your son's recovery.

Leszek.
post #27 of 89 Old 04-01-2001, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Wayne, as a father of a three-year-old, I remember how heart-broken when I stayed with her during her occasional heavy flu or high fever days. I therefore can not imagine what you have to go through, but from what you have said, and those of others on this forum, I somehow believe you and your son will get through this and be fine, I can see it in the smile of this handsome young man, best wishes to you from my family.

[This message has been edited by jacmyoung (edited 04-01-2001).]
post #28 of 89 Old 04-01-2001, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Wayne,

Best wishes for you and your family and your son's speedy recovery. We'll see you soon when everything is looking better (and it will be http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ). In the meantime, the forum will take care of itself.

And don't forget to bill me for my HTPC.

Sincerely,
Carey
post #29 of 89 Old 04-01-2001, 11:12 AM

Wayne,
We will include you and your family in our prayers. Wishing for a speedy recovery.
Rob.
post #30 of 89 Old 04-01-2001, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Wayne: one of my good friends had this kind of Leukemia. Thank God for the wonders of modern medicine. Knock on wood, your Scotty will recover.

In my prayers...

Regards--

------------------
Dan

Dan
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page