Madvr HDR Passthrough isn't working. - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #61 of 177 Old 07-03-2017, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Also 12bit seems to be missing in the Nvidia GPU control panel, according to your screenshots?

It seems to me that your TV doesn't report the capability to do HDR and 12bit to the PC, for some reason. This could have various reasons: Maybe some device in between PC and TV (e.g. receiver) doesn't support HDR and 12bit and thus swallows that information. Or maybe you've set the HDMI port to "PC" mode and maybe in that mode the TV doesn't support HDR and 12bit? Or maybe some HDMI ports support HDR and 12bit and others don't? Or maybe you need to enable HDR and 12bit somewhere in the TV setup?
Yes, this was strange. So, I tried cleaning up everything as I had installed multiple versions of driver, LAV, madVR ...

Restarted after a clean install of latest 384.76 driver, LAV 0.70.1, madVR 0.91.11 and the HDR option showed up in display settings. With the same settings in LAV, madVR and nvidia resolution (8-bit).

I noticed if I reduced the refresh rate to 23 or 24Hz, 12-bit shows up for RGB but gone at 2160p59 or 2160p60. Anyway, I fired the video with non-FSE madVR setting in mpc-hc and the TV recognized the signal as "HDR"! A BIG THANK YOU!

There are still some things to clean up -

1. In D3D11 window mode the signal being passed in 8-bit. If I turn on FSE mode in rendering > general, when full screen, picture becomes dull and TV doesn't think it's HDR even though OSD shows D3D11 exclusive 10-bit

2. Kodi DSPlayer edition and mpc-be, both turn on HDR on the TV but the picture is crazy - red shows up as blue, green as red etc. Both of them use madVR 0.91.11 and the external LAV filter for video. Happens in both windowed and FSE for mpc-be.

3. Not quite madVR or TV related - have to find a way to pass the HDR video to the TV via Denon X4100w which has HDMI 2.0 port but no HDCP 2.2. Windows doesn't detect the TV as HDR TV via the receiver even with all video processing disabled on the receiver but that's a problem for another day.

Today I just want to watch all the HDR samples with the TV audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 177 Old 07-04-2017, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Originally Posted by brazen1 Just realized, with FSE OFF (so HDR works), 3D MVC frame packed will not render. Bummer
Then why don't you use a driver between 376.xx and 380.xx and enable FSE mode, as I suggested before? That said, last time I checked, 3D worked fine for me in windowed mode.

378.92 is the driver I've tried many times. I used it in the past also. Everything worked well (then). Of course the HDR and advanced color setting switch was not implemented yet and still isn't to this day using that driver. But, everything worked well including 3D, HDR with PowerDVD. PDVD was the only player that rendered HDR without manually having to switch settings. Along came the newer drivers. Now the HDR and advanced color setting was/is implemented and HAD/HAS to be enabled for HDR playback for any and all capable players incl. MPC with madVR. You just updated madVR to dynamically switch it for us which is a godsend. But, FSE must be off. No problem except, that kills 3D MVC. So, you say roll back the driver and leave FSE enabled. No problem except we're using a stone age driver now but we can get over that if all works and get by until something better comes in the future. We lose some audio enhancements but so what? Why mess with a good thing? Because it isn't working here and I wish it was.

A few things come into play. Users want options. MPC is main movie, no menu but circumvents DRM. PDVD is menu but with DRM. DRM with PDVD can be fixed at a price. Those that want free options with limitations are bound to MPC/madVR. Some want 3D. Some don't. Some want HDR. Some don't. Some want menus, some don't. Some want it all. That's me. I'm at the point I can forego menus, one stop shop using MPC/madVR, have 3D MVC, HDR, SDR, etc., but most importantly, have everything automated so users don't have to mess around after setting up software one time and one time only. From there on out it's simply click on a title (any title, any format, etc) and sit back and enjoy. YOU are completing that mission. There is only one dilemma now.

As I stated a few posts ago, using the new madVR release, every format works perfectly up until I play HDR. Windows switches into native HDR mode and playback is perfect. Using newer Nvidia drivers, when playback is stopped, HDR mode releases and all is well. Using older drivers (pre 380.xx) HDR does not release. Windows is permanently stuck in HDR mode.

I have played many titles and all is well. The 1st time I play HDR, it remains in HDR. I can attempt to play SDR, 3D, different players, etc. (attempting to release HDR mode) the panel flickers through it's modes but still HDR remains. I can turn the panel off and on. I can change color formats, output depths, dynamic range, etc in the driver control panel, still HDR remains engaged. I can unplug the display from the wall and it's still engaged. I can log out and it's still engaged. However, I can reboot and it comes out of HDR mode but, the color space is expanded and saturated. ALL this tells me there is a residual registry setting that never released to go back to default once HDR was initiated via madVR. The only way I can fix this is to uninstall and reinstall GPU drivers. Btw, exactly which driver version worked for you?

This isn't a complaint. This is ammo to help you help me/us and I will supply any other feedback or testing you require. I fear you will inform me your test bed doesn't exhibit this behavior. If that's the case, I will accept I have a hardware/software clash causing this on my end (I will never figure out). Hopefully others will chime in their experiences to deny or confirm. Thanks for sticking with us on this. You are much appreciated.

I figured out why HDR mode was not switching back to SDR mode when exiting a title. Yay!
madVR setting - Restore original display mode...
...when media player leaves fullscreen - is what I had set.
...when media player is closed - is the correct setting.
Everything is automated now. Just waiting on MS to support 10bit and maybe 12bit\16bit in windowed mode and/or NVidia to update dynamic HDR switching in FSE so we can use newer drivers.
post #63 of 177 Old 07-04-2017, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Interesting. What happens if you disable the "restore original display mode" feature completely? I suppose it stays in HDR mode then, too?

post #64 of 177 Old 07-04-2017, 10:15 AM

I used ...when media player is closed setting. All was well. Switched back to ...when media player leaves fullscreen. It sticks in HDR mode. Switched back to ...when media player is closed setting. All was well. Flipped this setting back and forth about 15 times on a couple different titles and the results were always the same. ...when media player is closed setting, all was well. Every time I enabled ...when media player leaves fullscreen, it sticks in HDR mode. I was convinced this was the culprit.

So I tried a completely different title with the corrected settings and it stuck in HDR mode again. I've been trying for an hour and a half replicating exactly what WAS working but it simply isn't anymore. Nothing takes it out of native Windows HDR and of course there is no HDR and advanced color switch to manually do it anymore. The only thing, other than reinstalling drivers, is to play anything HDR with PDVD. When PDVD playback is stopped, windows native HDR is turned off and everything returns back to normal. That is my manual ON/OFF switch now. I can use PDVD all day long without a hitch. I have no idea what could have possibly changed madVR working to suddenly not working? I do know when it happened I got a black screen instead of the title playing and I heard a windows error ding. It was in FSE so I minimized the window to reveal an error pop-up that said madHcCtrl.exe has stopped working. It was in the tray at the time. Tried playing without the control panel open and it still sticks in HDR after playback but no error since. Rebooting didn't cure anything and ccleaner shows no reg errors. So, I am convinced there are microscopic gremlins running amuck shorting circuits at will when I'm not looking.

How this is working for you and why this worked for me for a short time and suddenly stopped is beyond my imagination? Anyway I'm back to waiting on MS or Nvidia and now more discouraged than ever since their fixes might not like my system.
post #65 of 177 Old 07-04-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Let's try again, because you haven't answered my question yet:

What happens if you disable the "restore original display mode" feature completely? I suppose it stays in HDR mode then, too?
post #66 of 177 Old 07-04-2017, 10:41 AM

I'm sorry. Got caught up and forgot to answer you. Turning off "restore original display mode" is the same result. Goes into HDR and never releases. 24Hz plays 24Hz but does not return to original display mode @60Hz as expected.

I'm going to put madVR settings back to default, uninstall it, remove the folder, d/l madVR again, set the settings manually, and give it a go again unless I hear back from you in the next 10 mins or so. I'll also check and see if LAV has updated from 0.70.0 and update it if so....
post #67 of 177 Old 07-04-2017, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

K, thx. Don't know what else to suggest. Oh well, I suppose you could create a debug log, zip it and attach it here (or upload it somewhere else). Then at least I can see if madVR even *tries* to restore SDR mode.
post #68 of 177 Old 07-04-2017, 10:49 AM

Ok. In between uninstalling and installing I'll reboot and run ccleaner also. If it still fails I'll post a debug. Give me a half hour or so....
post #69 of 177 Old 07-04-2017, 11:50 AM

Updated LAV, set madVR to default settings, uninstalled, reinstalled, adjusted settings.

I played 3 different HDR .mkv titles 60Hz and 24Hz. Everything was great. I played a 24Hz .iso from the index.bdmv folder. Stuck in HDR mode and won't come out again. Used PDVD, goes into HDR and comes out of HDR. Play previous .mkv's with madVR (that worked initially) and they go into HDR but don't come out.

Just learned debug fails running as admin. Debug with the mkv going into HDR but not back to SDR in your PM.
post #70 of 177 Old 07-04-2017, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just learned debug fails running as admin. Debug with the mkv going into HDR but not back to SDR in your PM.
Argh, some logging code missing in v0.91.11. Will have to create a test build for you, but not today, anymore.
post #71 of 177 Old 07-08-2017, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhite666 View Post
No it doesnt matter, I'm using the 64bit version of mpc / madvr and lavfilters. HDR is working perfectly.
Also, the x64 LAV HEVC decoder is more efficient than the x86, and was the difference between dropping frames and not. Also, you can crank up the decoding and rendering queue size to smooth out any bumps.

Of course if you're just watching 8-bit videos than you can use the Strongene decoder
post #72 of 177 Old 07-11-2017, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thumbs up

Using a B6 OLED and Windows 10 with Creators update and latest Nvidia drivers. I finally got it working after two tweaks. First, I didn't realize there was a sub menu in the MadVR settings under my TV icon. In there I found and enabled HDR passthough. The second tweak was to replace the GTX 970 in my HTPC with my GTX 1080, this stopped all stuttering on 4k HEVC/x265 videos. I might downgrade it to a GTX 1050ti or similar though my 1080 was showing 50% GPU usage during decode which was concerning. I'm leaving the Windows HDR setting off.

One interesting thing to note, of all of the HDR demo videos I downloaded, only two will enable HDR. The first is The World in HDR demo, the second is the NASA HDR video. Thanks Madshi and others for the knowledge in this thread!

Edit: Also, these LG OLEDs require you to enable deep color for the HDMI input connected to your PC before it will work. It would be great if there was more HEVC HDR content out there but for now, watching 60FPS 4k or even 1080p content via MadVR is pretty amazing.

Last edited by Kirkus Maximus; 07-11-2017 at 08:42 AM.
post #73 of 177 Old 07-13-2017, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have trouble getting HDR to work properly with MadVR in fullscreen, exclusive or not. In windowed mode everything works great but whenever I go to fullscreen colours get inverted like so:

I am on the latest Nvidia drivers and using Windows 10 creators update. I tried playing around with colour formats inside Nvidia Control Panel and HDR and Advanced Color switch in Windows settings but always got same results. I've also tried changing HDMI just to be safe. And this occurs only with HDR videos even if the HDR passthrough is disabled in MadVR settings. Does anyone knows why this happens?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fullscreen.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	2233753  
post #74 of 177 Old 07-13-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is probably caused by DXVA color conversion. Try using DXVA copyback instead of DXVA native, and avoid DXVA scaling/color conversion, if possible.
Haiej likes this.
post #75 of 177 Old 07-13-2017, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
This is probably caused by DXVA color conversion. Try using DXVA copyback instead of DXVA native, and avoid DXVA scaling/color conversion, if possible.
That works great. Thanks.
post #76 of 177 Old 07-15-2017, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
madshi, can you find out if Microsoft would be willing to add sliders or an API or something to allow customizing the SDR to HDR conversion? I suspect the desire to switch between SDR and HDR mode comes from the fact that the current conversion has poor subjective results. For example, part of that conversion entails a peak brightness of 100 nits, which I personally can't stand; everything (movies, web, YouTube, etc) just looks so dark on my HTPC.

I also happen to like exaggerated colors in my SDR content (I'm a sinner, I know), and currently I can't have that in HDR mode. I'd be plenty happy with just a peak brightness setting, though.
post #77 of 177 Old 07-15-2017, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Microsoft told me they find the SDR -> HDR conversion too dark themselves, and they plan to improve that in a future OS version. I'm not sure if they plan to add a slider. And sorry to say, but I won't ask them about it. If I ask them too many favors, at some point I'm going to run out of ammo. So I'm only going to ask for things that I find personally important. And I consider dynamic SDR <-> HDR switching a million times more useful than having sliders to control some SDR -> HDR algorithm which I believe should never be used, anyway.
Sven Gunderson likes this.
post #78 of 177 Old 07-15-2017, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fair enough. Good to know they're at least thinking about this issue.

What are the benefits of switching between SDR and HDR modes? In theory, SDR is a subset of HDR and can always "just work" without changing any settings.
post #79 of 177 Old 07-20-2017, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taudris View Post
What are the benefits of switching between SDR and HDR modes? In theory, SDR is a subset of HDR and can always "just work" without changing any settings.
Playing SDR with the TV in HDR mode is likely to be less than optimal. In order to play SDR "perfectly", the HTPC would have to know which tone mapping curve the TV is using in HDR mode, and then the HTPC would have to apply the inverse of that tone mapping curve. But the HTPC doesn't know that, so the image might be too dark overall, or too bright, and the gamma reponse is likely to be damaged in some way. Furthermore, 3dlut calibration no longer works well.

The best way to play SDR movies is with the TV is SDR mode. The best way to play HDR movies depends on the TV. It can be with the TV in HDR mode, in that case you should tell madVR to passthrough HDR content to the display. Or alternatively, it's also possible that you'll get better looking results when driving the TV in SDR mode and letting madVR convert HDR content to SDR for you. You'll have to try yourself which you like better.
Haiej likes this.
post #80 of 177 Old 07-20-2017, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Madshi, is the HDR to SDR conversion using CPU power & resources or iGPU/dGPU ones ?
post #81 of 177 Old 07-20-2017, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

99% of madVR features run on the GPU. The only exceptions atm are forced film mode and black bar detection.
Haiej likes this.
post #82 of 177 Old 07-24-2017, 01:47 AM
M-V

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
@madshi
Can you please comment how HDR meta is used when playing a HDR video in HDR passthrough mode ? Are HDR mastering primaries/luminance from the video sent to the display or some static values are used?
post #83 of 177 Old 07-24-2017, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That depends on the exact madVR configuration, but with "passthrough" and "send metadata to display" active, madVR tries to pass the video's metadata through to the display. Whether the metadata actually makes it to the display is out of my control. I just deliver it to the appropriate APIs and hope for the best. With the private Nvidia (and soon AMD) APIs I'm using it is more likely to actually work than with the win10 APIs. But it might also work with the win10 APIs, at least in fullscreen. Don't have any way to actually test whether it works or not, though, because my TV doesn't seem to react to different metadata in any way.
Haiej and M-V like this.
post #84 of 177 Old 07-24-2017, 01:04 PM

Tried the new 384.94-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql driver update today. Still no HDR dynamic switching
Rolled back to 378.92-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql. Maybe next month.....
post #85 of 177 Old 07-24-2017, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Is there a way to use MADVR with Kodi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #86 of 177 Old 07-24-2017, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 3369 Post(s)
Liked: 3123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
Is there a way to use MADVR with Kodi?

DSPlayer
post #87 of 177 Old 07-24-2017, 03:27 PM

Or seamlessly add an external player of choice using the official Kodi front end.
sjchmura likes this.
post #88 of 177 Old 07-24-2017, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@brazen1 , did you read your PM? Haven't got a reply yet.
post #89 of 177 Old 07-24-2017, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Or seamlessly add an external player of choice using the official Kodi front end.

Was adding external removed in v17?

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #90 of 177 Old 07-25-2017, 05:49 AM
M-V

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Tried the new 384.94-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql driver update today. Still no HDR dynamic switching
Rolled back to 378.92-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql. Maybe next month.....
Same here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page