Madvr HDR Passthrough isn't working. - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #151 of 177 Old 09-14-2017, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 602
There's a bug in the current Nvidia drivers which makes HDR fail in fullscreen exclusive mode. But there will be a workaround in the next madVR build which hopefully will make it work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 177 Old 09-23-2017, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi madshi

I'm currently having trouble with madvr, video freezes everytime I go to fullscreen and I don't know if it's because it's in fullscreen exclusive because I cant open madvr settings either, everytime I try they freeze and crash.

Could you help me with that ?

Thanks
post #153 of 177 Old 09-23-2017, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is that with the latest version? If so, I need the settings dialog crash report.

post #154 of 177 Old 09-23-2017, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Is that with the latest version? If so, I need the settings dialog crash report.
Both the last version and the version before did it.

Where do I find that report ?
post #155 of 177 Old 09-23-2017, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You said the settings dialog crashes. If it does, there should be a window with a "show bug report" button. If you press that, and then the keys Ctrl+C, the crash report should be copied into the clipboard.
post #156 of 177 Old 09-23-2017, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You said the settings dialog crashes. If it does, there should be a window with a "show bug report" button. If you press that, and then the keys Ctrl+C, the crash report should be copied into the clipboard.
Nope, this happens :

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MADVR.GIF
Views:	82
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	2287466  
post #157 of 177 Old 09-24-2017, 01:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ugh, that's bad. Which GPU are you using? Does it help if you restore madVR default settings? If all else fails, you can combine an older (e.g. v0.91.x) madHcCtrl.exe version with the latest madVR build. That way you won't be able to create custom modes, though.
post #158 of 177 Old 09-24-2017, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Uninstall/reinstall?
When I was getting crashes, it was because I had some settings too aggressive.
It was definitely MadVR Settings and not any MPC-HC setting problem.
You may need to rip and replace/start over.

HTPC | 12TB NAS | Harmony Elite | DENON X4200W | Sony XBR75X940D
Philips BDP7501 | Klipsch RF7II,RC64II,CDT5650CII | SVS SB2000 x2
post #159 of 177 Old 09-24-2017, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ugh, that's bad. Which GPU are you using? Does it help if you restore madVR default settings? If all else fails, you can combine an older (e.g. v0.91.x) madHcCtrl.exe version with the latest madVR build. That way you won't be able to create custom modes, though.
Ok thanks for the tip I'll try resetting settings
post #160 of 177 Old 10-01-2017, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, this thread has been very enlightening, thanks to @brazen1 and of course @madshi for the insights.

I have a 2015 LG OLED (9500/950) and a GTX 970. My TV was professionally calibrated shortly after purchase with these settings Nvidia RGB/Limited, Lav Video untouched, madVR 16-235 and TV black level "low". Input on TV from PC was the "pc" icon

Using these settings then playing back SDR video would autochange the resolution/refresh rate AND change the TV to my calibrated settings.

With madVR HDR passthrough working then the HDR content is washed out with the above settings. So I change the TV input from "PC" to "home theatre" and then HDR looks (what I assume) is how it meants to look - richer colours

The only issue is that with "home theatre" input then my SDR calibrated picture mode has to be selected manually, but I think this is a small price to pay

I thought this post would end with a question but it escapes me. I think I have HDR video working as well as it can, for the time being at least
post #161 of 177 Old 10-02-2017, 03:06 AM
M-V

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
@famasfilms
Nvidia RGB range should be full (0-255), not limited (16-235).

LG EF950 as far as I'm aware doesn't switch picture modes for SDR/HDR automatically. So calibrated settings (WB, СMS, etc.) for SDR wouldn't be right for HDR content anyway. The solution is to switch picture modes manually. E.g. ISF 1 for SDR, ISF 2 for HDR.

P.S. Try turning Dyn.Contrast on Low - it's evil but PQ EOTF tracking will be much closer to truth.
post #162 of 177 Old 10-02-2017, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-V View Post
@famasfilms
Nvidia RGB range should be full (0-255), not limited (16-235).

Hi, my understanding is that full is better for desktop use and presumably games, but it was calibrated with Nvidia on 16-235 so I've just left it at that. I don't play many games anyway so hopefully having it on 16-235 isn't affecting me too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-V View Post
So calibrated settings (WB, СMS, etc.) for SDR wouldn't be right for HDR content anyway. The solution is to switch picture modes manually. E.g. ISF 1 for SDR, ISF 2 for HDR.

P.S. Try turning Dyn.Contrast on Low - it's evil but PQ EOTF tracking will be much closer to truth.

Yeah, I understand that my SDR settings aren't suitable for HDR.

How are people calibrating their HDR settings? I don't have the expertise/kit to do it myself, is it best to use the SDR settings as a foundation and tweak until it looks ok?
post #163 of 177 Old 10-03-2017, 09:19 AM
M-V

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
@famasfilms
You can check Display Calibration forum section. There are some topics regarding HDR calibration: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/
I wouldn't recommend using SDR settings for HDR. At least not for a LG OLED.
post #164 of 177 Old 10-15-2017, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Originally Posted by brazen1 Just realized, with FSE OFF (so HDR works), 3D MVC frame packed will not render. Bummer
Then why don't you use a driver between 376.xx and 380.xx and enable FSE mode, as I suggested before? That said, last time I checked, 3D worked fine for me in windowed mode.

378.92 is the driver I've tried many times. I used it in the past also. Everything worked well (then). Of course the HDR and advanced color setting switch was not implemented yet and still isn't to this day using that driver. But, everything worked well including 3D, HDR with PowerDVD. PDVD was the only player that rendered HDR without manually having to switch settings. Along came the newer drivers. Now the HDR and advanced color setting was/is implemented and HAD/HAS to be enabled for HDR playback for any and all capable players incl. MPC with madVR. You just updated madVR to dynamically switch it for us which is a godsend. But, FSE must be off. No problem except, that kills 3D MVC. So, you say roll back the driver and leave FSE enabled. No problem except we're using a stone age driver now but we can get over that if all works and get by until something better comes in the future. We lose some audio enhancements but so what? Why mess with a good thing? Because it isn't working here and I wish it was.

A few things come into play. Users want options. MPC is main movie, no menu but circumvents DRM. PDVD is menu but with DRM. DRM with PDVD can be fixed at a price. Those that want free options with limitations are bound to MPC/madVR. Some want 3D. Some don't. Some want HDR. Some don't. Some want menus, some don't. Some want it all. That's me. I'm at the point I can forego menus, one stop shop using MPC/madVR, have 3D MVC, HDR, SDR, etc., but most importantly, have everything automated so users don't have to mess around after setting up software one time and one time only. From there on out it's simply click on a title (any title, any format, etc) and sit back and enjoy. YOU are completing that mission. There is only one dilemma now.

As I stated a few posts ago, using the new madVR release, every format works perfectly up until I play HDR. Windows switches into native HDR mode and playback is perfect. Using newer Nvidia drivers, when playback is stopped, HDR mode releases and all is well. Using older drivers (pre 380.xx) HDR does not release. Windows is permanently stuck in HDR mode.

I have played many titles and all is well. The 1st time I play HDR, it remains in HDR. I can attempt to play SDR, 3D, different players, etc. (attempting to release HDR mode) the panel flickers through it's modes but still HDR remains. I can turn the panel off and on. I can change color formats, output depths, dynamic range, etc in the driver control panel, still HDR remains engaged. I can unplug the display from the wall and it's still engaged. I can log out and it's still engaged. However, I can reboot and it comes out of HDR mode but, the color space is expanded and saturated. ALL this tells me there is a residual registry setting that never released to go back to default once HDR was initiated via madVR. The only way I can fix this is to uninstall and reinstall GPU drivers. Btw, exactly which driver version worked for you?

This isn't a complaint. This is ammo to help you help me/us and I will supply any other feedback or testing you require. I fear you will inform me your test bed doesn't exhibit this behavior. If that's the case, I will accept I have a hardware/software clash causing this on my end (I will never figure out). Hopefully others will chime in their experiences to deny or confirm. Thanks for sticking with us on this. You are much appreciated.
what a great post and BTW it might not be a complaint but boy does it hit the nail flat bang firmly on the head

This whole HDR thing is a mess, Microsoft Nvidia Intel and others are going a direction that has not quite been revealed yet concerning DRM, they are between them co-operating to plug the copyright copy protection gap right or wrong through hardware and software solutions and HDR is a fine example of how it is (not) working. If you think they are listening to you - you are wrong, they are ignoring you because they have an agenda, go read about Microsoft's PlayReady 3.0 and HDCP 2.2 DRM, it makes for some very depressing reading and explains why they are all (MS Nvidia Intel) ignoring you when it comes the HDR mess, why do you think old Nvidia drivers work better than newer and why they haven't addressed the supposed issues that customers are reporting - the answer is clear

Some cleaver people have been making applications addons and workrounds that are working through this mess with a limited success rate, so far the only way I have been able to get HDR video content to play properly is using my built in Samsung TV player connected to my PC through a LAN 1 to 1 and sharing the folders that contain the video (lets not even get into the game situation which is an equal mess) and those that think the Fall windows update (which I have) has solved all the issues are going to be severely disappointed - in fact it has made it worse - yes worse.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////
The best advise right now seems to be (no kidding) -

Go back to Windows 8.1 and older Nvidia drivers and all is well, surely that must tell you something - and lets not mention Intel's part in this mess as well but hardware is more difficult to roll back
//////////////////////////////////////////////////

I have used the MPC/madvr combo and the only way I can get it to work in full screen is by starting a HDR video then using the windows key to get the HDR to lock and enable properly during fullscreen playback, then the windows HDR slider stays on and TV goes to HDR, even then the colors are still washed out and nowhere near the video quality of using the TV built in player as I described above, I might be able to compensate for this using the color controls of MPC Player or Madvr but they are not working and have no effect (don't know why) and have tried everything to get them to work without results.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////
We as customers are caught up in this mess and as drivers hardware and operating systems get updated it is just getting worse, DRM should have nothing to do with Microsoft or Nvidia or Intel, they are stepping into a world that quite frankly has little to do with them and it is creating massive discontent amongst their own customers
/////////////////////////////////////////////////

my setup

Nvidia GTX 1070
CPU i5 7600K
window10 fall update
Samsung KS8000

and a LAN Cable lol
post #165 of 177 Old 10-20-2017, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm still struggling with getting HDR working on my PC (shocker!) and need to ask some possibly stupid questions...

1. Do you set the color depth in the Nvidia Control Panel to use Nvidia's bit depth or leave it at "let display choose" or whatever it says?
2. Does Kodi play HDR natively? I'm using the DSPlayer version with madVR and I have madVR set to passthrough HDR to display but I either get a black screen if it switches to HDR or it just flat out won't switch. Wondering if I should switch to generic Kodi but not going to waste my time if it doesn't support HDR?
3. Is it safe to assume this HDR clip I got from LG's website called "Colors of Journey" is a legit HDR file? How can I tell if madVR or Kodi are seeing the HDR metadata?

FWIW, I've eliminated all of the hardware in my chain as being suspect. Netflix HDR and Ghost Recon played via XBox One S through my AVR to my projector works flawlessly. So I have high confidence the issue is on my PC but now I'm dealing with half a dozen pieces of software that are suspect. Which reminds me, PowerDVD 17 recognizes HDR data in the video file. It also recognizes my display as HDR capable. Asks me if it should switch to that mode and then gives me a black screen. SMH.

Windows 10 (i7, 16GB RAM, fully updated)
GTX1080Ti (latest driver)
Kodi (latest)
MadVR (latest)
Denon 910w (current firmware)
Sony 4K projector (brand new)

Anyone have any ideas? I must be missing something somewhere but I'm running out of suspects.
post #166 of 177 Old 10-20-2017, 05:16 PM

UPDATE: PROGRESS!

So I accidentally discovered tonight that if I play Kodi or MPC-HD in windowed mode, the HDR works perfectly... almost. For some reason my monster 1080Ti is dropping half the frames so its unwatchable but I can FINALLY see what I'm supposed to be seeing. So....

Why does full screen mode turn off HDR? And why am I dropping frames? MadVR is on out of the box settings. Almost there!
post #167 of 177 Old 10-20-2017, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked: 599
So why is there no hdr option in my MADVR install? Do we have to add those fields? Literally under profile it's missing .....

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #168 of 177 Old Yesterday, 01:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Latest Nvidia drivers seem to have broken HDR from working perfectly again. I'd recommend using somewhat older drivers, e.g. 385.

@Unacceptable , please check your decoder queue in the Ctrl+J OSD. It's probably nearly empty all the time? You need to use hardware decoding (D3D11 native or DXVA native in LAV) in order to play HEVC HDR files smoothly.

@sjchmura , I'm not sure what you mean. HDR should work automatically, with default settings, if you have an Nvidia GPU. With an AMD GPU you need to change some settings (D3D11 presentation, 10bit display bitdepth). Intel currently doesn't support HDR.
post #169 of 177 Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Latest Nvidia drivers seem to have broken HDR from working perfectly again. I'd recommend using somewhat older drivers, e.g. 385.
I got it working by disabling FSE mode in madVR. Also got the playback issue resolved. Its glorious!

So, what's the big deal with full screen exclusive?
post #170 of 177 Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Do you have the "HDR and Advanced Color" switch on or off in your OS display configuration?
post #171 of 177 Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Do you have the "HDR and Advanced Color" switch on or off in your OS display configuration?

Good question. It was probably on from previous attempts so I'll need to see what the deal is from a fresh boot. If it gives me grief I'll roll back the driver and see how that shakes out. Sounds like worse case is I manually have to engage toggle that mode in Display Settings?
post #172 of 177 Old Yesterday, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That OS toggle is seriously evil. If you can avoid it by, do it. That should also take care of the FSE problems. But you'll probably need to use an older driver (for now).
post #173 of 177 Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
That OS toggle is seriously evil. If you can avoid it by, do it. That should also take care of the FSE problems. But you'll probably need to use an older driver (for now).

So leave OS toggle off?

In the settings for mas VR (right click tray icon) if I scroll down under profiles no hdr options are there. I see all these screen shots with hdr options but not seeing g it (using latest 0.9217 with win10 creators summer

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #174 of 177 Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
So leave OS toggle off?

In the settings for mas VR (right click tray icon) if I scroll down under profiles no hdr options are there. I see all these screen shots with hdr options but not seeing g it (using latest 0.9217 with win10 creators summer
Yes, OS toggle off (if you have an Nvidia or AMD GPU).

Profiles? madVR does support profiles, but it's an optional feature for experienced users, by default there are no profiles. The HDR settings are in "devices\yourDisplay\hdr".
post #175 of 177 Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Yes, turn off O/S toggle. (Windows HDR and advanced color switch) As it stands, throughout this whole HDR ordeal to engage the mode properly and automatically, we NEVER enable it. Leave the enabling up to madVR if you want everything to work properly. Some of the NVidia driver updates and Windows 10 O/S updates ( Creators updates 1&2) break this functionality as development continues. I believe NVidia (and perhaps other GPU manufactures) follow Microsoft lead and in turn madshi and his madVR follows them. It's hard to coordinate everyone's changes simultaneously. Eventually, everyone gets on the same page. As of this moment, the O/S just changed as did NVidia drivers. I'm sure in time madVR and/or Nvidia will shake hands again as they have always done in the past. So, while we wait for an update from one or both, we usually roll back to the previously working combo and let the developers do their thing. Hats off to ALL the developers for making all of this possible.

You should find the madVR HDR options under devices/display connected to xxxxxx-AVR/hdr. Make sure your install is correct. The guide below should help you. Fwiw, you do not need to install the Kodi front end if you don't wish to although I highly recommend it. Once you have the other components installed, you can manually test or use files straight from Windows Explorer.
sjchmura likes this.

Last edited by brazen1; Yesterday at 08:10 AM.
post #176 of 177 Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Microsoft doesn't believe in dynamic HDR on/off switching. As long as they keep their head in the sand, there's no chance the OS switch is ever going to be useful. So for the forseeable future I believe the only usable HDR way is to bypass the OS switch, by talking directly to the AMD/Nvidia GPU drivers. Unfortunately the Nvidia GPU drivers keep getting broken, then fixed, then broken, then fixed. Currently the latest drivers are broken again. But if you choose a "good" driver version, everything should be working well.
sjchmura likes this.
post #177 of 177 Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 43
387.92 was a doozy. A driver roll back to 385.69 did not cure what it did. (Windows dynamic switch ON but not Off and oversaturated HDR video) The only way to fix was to roll back to 382.33 and then upgrade to 385.69. Avoid 387.92. 387.92 is default for Window Fall CU. I predict problems. This is the fix. Hopefully next driver does not carry these problems over again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page