HTPC, to buy turn key PC or build, that was the question? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-23-2001, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After using a Crystal Image Scaler with my G11 for a while, I wasn’t really happy with it’s OVERALL performance. So I ordered the 1Ghz ELITE HTPC from AVS. (expect it in a week or so) I was originally going to build an HTPC based on the very informative Faq post "Best in class" HTPC Component Listing, submitted by Wayne Gerdes. By the way, this is an EXCEPTIONALLY informative post which I recommend all "newbe", potential HTPC builders to read.

After pricing out the components for a mid to high end system and knowing my anal nit picking self only to well, I decided to go turn key for a little more money. I have a pretty good knowledge when it comes to computer construction, hookup and hardware but my weakness is in what the windows operating system is doing behind the scenes and diagnosing conflicts. (Give me a MAC and I’m right at home) I didn’t want to get into the potential of having to diagnose software and hardware conflicts. I am currently dealing with an ATI TV Wonder Tuner Card problem on my DELL that is driving me up a wall. One computer problem at a time if you please. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif If anything I have learned while modifying my Dell is to keep it simple. That is my approach for the NEW HTPC. I don’t plan on adding any more software than absolutely necessary.

After reading what seemed like hundreds of posts in the HTPC forum, one area confuses me. Newbe question: I will be getting an Airboard Wireless IR keyboard with the system. How can a PRONTO remote control be used with the HTPC?

The software that is includes with the system is:
Windows 98ME
WinDVD-2000 Ver 2.64
Powerstrip.

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-23-2001, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The Pronto can learn or download the IR keyboard commands for your wireless keyboard. You can use macros to string together multiple keystrokes.

Two other useful IR assistants you may wish to add for more elegant and flexible control of your HTPC from your universal remote are Girder and IRMan .

------------------
Abdul

Click to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group
post #3 of 3 Old 05-24-2001, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Abdul,
Thanks for the info and links.
Don
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers