Where is Teleman and Ray been lately - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 04-20-2001, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm getting sick and tired of waiting for Teleman to fix these software bugs and I have all but stopped using my HiPix completly. Thankfully I have another OTA HD receiver that actually WORKS.

It's quite interesting that Teleman and even Ray seem to be missing in action (or lack of action) here on the forum for some time now. Last night for some strange reason I decided to use the HiPix rather than my normal receiver. I did a clean boot (Win 98 SE) and started watching -
  • Yup there is the stutter going in and out of commercials
  • Yup there is the funky graphic in the upper left corner
  • Yup try to load a couple of save files and LOCK-UP
  • Yup there are the blank screen

And yes I'm running the first updated version (can't remember the number) not the original version and NOT the last version that everybody went nut trying to get it to work at all.

Where is Ray in all this.....? Now that there is some competition out there you would think Teleman would be working even harder to keep us happy and snag new customer, but nothing. Looks like in this case first to market also = first to flop.

------------------
Hopelessly addicted to HDTV and lost deep in the woods of Charlton, MA - Rich
rharvey@at-com.com

[This message has been edited by Richard_P_Harvey (edited 04-20-2001).]

rharvey@at-com.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-20-2001, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

While I am curious too, all of the reports have been good about the latest driver release. Why aren't you using it?

Pls. see http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/009203.html

------------------
Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 04-20-2001).]

Dan
post #3 of 26 Old 04-20-2001, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dan,

Read the thread again, not too much positive here at all. And I'm not interested in DLL update/patches etc. Give me an official release from Telemann that works, period. On many occations I have asked Ray both here and via private email to address each and every well documented issue and tell us what Telemann plans to do and NEVER has he responded.

I'm loosing, no I have lost all confidence in Telemann and I'm thinking of replacing the card with something new that actually works.

------------------
rharvey@at-com.com

rharvey@at-com.com
post #4 of 26 Old 04-20-2001, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Richard: OK, I reread the thread and find the cup half full. While I owned the HiPix, I had all the issues that you do, but never really found them objectionable, just a little "quirky". In the end, just sell the card if it's bothering you--I doubt you would have any problem finding takers (even I might repurchase). No use losing any sleep over a piece of hardware.

As to your list, the funky graphic is intermittent. Stop and restart your software until you get a good image. Same with the blank screen. Once you get a good image, you don't have the problem.

Re the .dll patches and fiddling, those with Radeons are doing it too for a while, so it's not totally out of bounds.

Good luck.

------------------
Dan

Dan
post #5 of 26 Old 04-20-2001, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I too am disappointed with the absense of Ray and Telemann. I got the beta version 2.2 and it was a big improvement but there are still some bugs. I work in the broadcast industry where flakey software and new products are nothing new to me. I am happy to load patches and DLL to make this thing better. And I am looking forward to updates. I am also still looking forward to getting the API or a developers kit.

It does seem that Telemann has lost interest and abandoned the product. The story about chips being on backorder may very well be true.

What concerns me the most is that Cliff seems to have abandoned the product in favor of the AccessTV card. I understand his problem, he has to sell product to stay in business. Does he know something we don't and therefore has washed his hands of Telemann?

LETS KEEP THE HIPIX ALIVE! What can we do to help?

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #6 of 26 Old 04-20-2001, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Richard,

As far as I know the 2.2 beta software on the web site is newer than the 2.1 + fatbulldog files that so many people have reported as stable. I find it to be pretty good - a significant improvement over the WinTV-HD

post #7 of 26 Old 04-20-2001, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

â€What concerns me the most is that Cliff seems to have abandoned the product in favor of the AccessTV card. I understand his problem, he has to sell product to stay in business. Does he know something we don't and therefore has washed his hands of Telemann?â€

Glimmie,

You can’t abandon something that you don’t have. It’s not that I’ve washed my hands of Telemann, it’s more like my hands have been tied. If Telemann had manufactured the HiPix on the schedule that I was lead to believe I could have sold 2000 card by now. With the recent article by hifipj, who knows how many more could have been sold?

â€LETS KEEP THE HIPIX ALIVE! What can we do to help?’

No manufacturer or distributor can keep a PC card alive with only 120 cards in the hands of consumers. It’s a simple fact of the PC business.

------------------
Best Regards, Cliff
Digital Connection, LLC
cwatson53@home.com
post #8 of 26 Old 04-20-2001, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Guys,

I just installed 2.2 Beta and it's the first version that installed without a hitch. I ran some very quick/short tests and so far so good but more testing needs to be done before I bless it as useful.

------------------
rharvey@at-com.com

rharvey@at-com.com
post #9 of 26 Old 04-20-2001, 03:05 PM

I looked on the www.telemann.com web site under downloands and did not see availability for beta 2.2. Am I looking in the wrong spot?
post #10 of 26 Old 04-20-2001, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Greg o,

The Telemann web site is as bad as their support of this product. On the main page (after the flash intro) click on the "Information Center" in the upp er right hand corner. This will bring you directly to the download page where you just click on the disc icon for the HiPix and then again on the disc icon that is the version you need.

Good Luck

------------------
rharvey@at-com.com

[This message has been edited by Richard_P_Harvey (edited 04-20-2001).]

rharvey@at-com.com
post #11 of 26 Old 04-20-2001, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cliff Watson:
[bWith the recent article by hifipj, who knows how many more could have been sold?

</font>
Can you point me to this article?
Thanks for your update. It looks like I may be ordering an Access card too.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #12 of 26 Old 04-20-2001, 04:34 PM

I have gotten to know Ray a bit recently.

He is a very busy guy often on the road and out of touch, but when he is around he has been very nice to me. I can tell you that he personally is going above and beyond the call of duty to help this card because he likes and uses it himself.

From what what I can tell there are multiple multi-national divisions (trying) to work together to provide updates and releases so you can imagine that it is alot of work to cordinate and may not get alot of support until they are actually shipping these things in volume.

Sure I have found various bugs in the operation of the HiPix software, but overall I have been very happy that I was able to get such a product and it works for me quite well most of the time.

I sent Ray an "observation" about what appeared (to me) to be some extra cropping off the top of the picture (like maybe 50 scan lines out of 1080 were missing on the HiPix compared to my DTC-100), and Ray got it forwarded to the appropriate internal engineers who eventually identified the "problem" as being a setting on one of the decoder chips. They may or may not fix it (sort of low priority), but I was glad that they spent the time to work with me to actually identify the issue, acknowledge it and let me know that they are considering it as a future change to their product.

I really hope this product sticks around, and being critical of Telemann or Ray seems like shooting ourselves in the foot at this point...

post #13 of 26 Old 04-20-2001, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by boat-anchor:
I have gotten to know Ray a bit recently.
</font>
boat-anchor,
Since you seem to know Ray , can you tell us if he still works at Telemann anymore?
This article caught my eye and this is why I am asking.
http://www.smsc.com/whatsnew/prcorp/rnewsteadpr.html

Thanks,
Joe

post #14 of 26 Old 04-20-2001, 07:51 PM

Oh! I guess I don't know him that well... He didn't mention anything
about that. I will give him a call and see if it is "another"
Ray Newstead...

The press release doesn't mention that their "Ray Newstead" ever worked for Telemann so maybe it is someone different, but I will try to find out.
post #15 of 26 Old 04-20-2001, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by boat-anchor:
Oh! I guess I don't know him that well... He didn't mention anything
about that. I will give him a call and see if it is "another"
Ray Newstead...

The press release doesn't mention that their "Ray Newstead" ever worked for Telemann so maybe it is someone different, but I will try to find out.
</font>
NEC and C-Cube are also listed in the Telemann press release for a Ray Newstead.

------------------
Best Regards, Cliff
Digital Connection, LLC
cwatson53@home.com
post #16 of 26 Old 04-20-2001, 08:19 PM

If the HiPix is going to be allowed to die off, will a SDK be released for it so that owners could code their own front-ends?
post #17 of 26 Old 04-20-2001, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I don't know about the experiences overall of others using the 2.2 Beta, but for me the problems with stuttering are the worst they have EVER been with the upgraded software. I thought things were bad with the original software, but with the Beta I can't watch ANYTHING for more than 10 minutes without stuttering kicking in. This includes both recorded and live shows. At first, things were great....could change files without lockups. Now, change a file once during a show, and instant lockup. Its like a diseased card that keeps getting worse as you use it.

Hey..if nothing else, in 20 years I can say "I'm one of the 120 people who had one of those wacky Hipix cards.....remember those?? The Intellivision of the HDTV world". So what are the HTPC requirements for the Radeons??
post #18 of 26 Old 04-21-2001, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

R8Der,
I mentioned in this post:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum28/HTML/000148.html
that I have the Hipix running just fine. I also describe that I could NOT get the Hipix to work on my BE6 based system.

I left out details in that post.
I am using Windows 2000 without SP1 on a system I built around the ASUS CuSL2-C.
I have the unofficial 2.1 Beta that was emailed to me by Richard at Telemann and is also posted on fatbulldog.com.

I get 100% perfect recording/playback with OTA stuff.

With the DISH 5000, I can watch and record at the same time perfectly.
The playback of recorded files is nearly perfect with this one exception:
The one odd thing that it does is that when I playback a recorded movie (HBOHD/SHOHD), it will play perfectly for exactly the first 9 minutes. The audio then starts stuttering really bad. I stop the application, restart it on the 9 minute file and it will play perfectly for the remainder of the entire movie.
Odd but very consistent so it does not bother me.

I bet I have recorded and later watched at least 20 HBOHD/SHOHD movies from the DISH 5000 and the Hipix since I got this beta driver on February 15 (and built the ASUS machine).

I have also found that the audio coming out of the sound card (if I turn decode audio on ) is fine when that audio stuttering starts happening. I feed the stereo signal to my Yamaha DSP-A1 in this mode.
It is only through the AC3 connection to my Yamaha receiver that it occurs and this is the normal mode I use. The stereo input was only for testing.

I have never tried the 2.2 beta that is on Telemann's website since:
1) I found it best to completely reinstall WIN2K when changing Hipix drivers and now my system is fully loaded with apps,PCI boards,Disks,USB devices,drivers,etc. This machine is NOT a dedicated HTPC.
2) The unofficial 2.1 beta works just fine so I am not taking any chances with success.

Have you ever checked to see if the audio stutterring is ONLY when using the AC3 out?

Sorry for the long post but I hope some of this helps.

Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe Q (edited 04-21-2001).]
post #19 of 26 Old 04-21-2001, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

I seem to remember that the audio stuttering issue with the BE6 motherboard was related to the HighPoint IDE controller. The audio stuttering was fixed by disabling the controller in the bios. I have no idea about what other motherboards use this controller or if the problem extends to these additional mobos.

------------------
Carl

Carl
post #20 of 26 Old 04-21-2001, 11:12 AM

&lt;&lt;If the HiPix is going to be allowed to die off, will a SDK be released for it so that owners could code their own front-ends?&gt;&gt;

There's no reason to think the HiPix will die if Ray has, in fact, moved on. It was probably in development before he arrived(Sept. 1 of last year) and can certainly move forward without him. I think all that would be lost is his presence here.

What is disappointing is the fact that the new production run, from all indications, is being held up for lack of a key component. I recall this being an issue way back in Dec/Jan timeframe. If the lead time was 20+ weeks, as seems to be the case, they really should have considered a redesign of the circuit to go with an alternate part. I run across this issue from time to time with my customers. If you say 20 week delivery and it will result in product shipping delays, unless it absolutely, positively cannot be taken out, the circuit is overhauled to work around it with more readily available parts. Perhaps they had a run of board fabs done and feel committed? There was mention of a pilot run of fabs were scrapped for a missing power connection(don't understand that one either). Perhaps the whole project has just reached a break point for what they initially budgeted and they have to continue on the path they are on.

All speculation. Maybe a phone call to Telemann on Monday to see what's up.

I think the fact that some folks are having success while others are not with the same driver/OS combination says the issue is the card working(or not) with some other piece of hardware or software. Seems a bare bones, newer HTPC is less likely to have issues, while an older one with multiple cards installed(NIC, sound card, etc.) is more prone to. Everyone should keep in mind that PC based PVR setups are still in relative infancy. There are going to be bugs. Tivo went through lots of headaches early on and they didn't have all the OS and third party hardware conflict issues that these PCI card based solutions are experiencing. That's why I had to scoff at Cliff when he claimed the AccessDTV was some great, stable design, seemingly without issues out of the box. Not going to happen. We shouldn't "blame" Telemann or iTech for the faults of their products because they had the guts to get out there first and suffer the wrath. I predict anyone coming out with similar offerings in the next 12-18 months will suffer some of the same pitfalls. We're on the steep portion of the learning curve for this stuff yet. It looks easy for the Sony or Philips guys when they release this kind of hardware, but that's because they've held back and learned from other's mistakes.

For those that have HiPix and are still experiencing issues, I'd recommend you get with someone like JoeQ who has been down the path and has one working reliably on what was a balky PC. Look at Richard's example. He had all but given up. A software dowload and fresh install and he's up and running. It only takes one little detail, be it an incorrect driver or BIOS setting and you could go from working to total frustration. I hope that John Kim has been getting sufficient feedback to find some common denominators for the real issues so that future software releases will get it closer to stability for the bulk of the end users. But I think we'd be kidding ourselves to think that at this stage of the game we will see HTPC cards like these that will simply plug in and work for anybody. They are going to be finicky for the forseeable future and that's what we have to deal with as early adopters.

You guys need more horror stories of a release gone wrong, just jump on over to the newsgroups and read about the new DishPVR501. Yikes!
post #21 of 26 Old 04-21-2001, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Carl Romanik:
I seem to remember that the audio stuttering issue with the BE6 motherboard was related to the HighPoint IDE controller. The audio stuttering was fixed by disabling the controller in the bios. I have no idea about what other motherboards use this controller or if the problem extends to these additional mobos.

</font>
Carl,
I have been emailing a fellow who has the BE6 and you are partially correct. The BE6 Rev 1 (which he and I have) does NOT allow you to disable the HPT controller in the Bios. The BE6 Rev 2 board does.

Even with NOT using the built in controller ie. no disks attached and disabling it in Windows, I was getting stuttering on disks attached to IDE 1 or 2(the HPT is IDE 3/4). Same with him.

He stuck a SCSI card with an 8 GB SCSI drive in his BE6 Rev 1 board and got the Hipix to work correctly but obviously,that is not useful for recording any movies. Who wants to spend that kind of money on a 40-80 GB SCSI drive.
It was merely to see what the scoop was.

I mention this for all BE6 owner's reading this because there are 2 version's of the Abit board.
Since there was no way to disable the HPT controller in the BIOS with the REV 1 board, I always wondered whether it was still generating interrupts 'looking' for a disk - no way to tell and just a hypothesis.

I have moved on with my ASUS CUSL2-C board and am happy with the performance of the Hipix card as noted above but if I misspoke about his BE6, perhaps the person I am referring to will speak up.

Now if iTECH can get accessDTV to work with the DISH 5000, I will be making the switch because I do NOT believe that we are ever going to see anymore features added to the Hipix - like PAUSE, which I really want.

IMHO,The total silence of any representative from Telemann in this forum makes me think that the chance of adding any features beyond just getting it to work as advertised is NIL. If you look at their website, you can see that they are into much more lucrative ventures/products.

I am an engineer and many times I have done IR&D on a product and then our business guys realized that we were not going to make a profit (or minimal) from it so we drop it. I can't help but wonder if Telemann has gotten themselves into an UH-OH situation with the Hipix.
Course, we do NOT release these IR&D products to the public.

Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe Q (edited 04-21-2001).]
post #22 of 26 Old 04-21-2001, 11:47 PM

Just to add a couple of data points - my HiPix card seems to record
and playback without stutter when used in two different Win98SE
machines that I have.

One is a 450Mhz PII... I think it is an Abit BE6 motherboard, and I know it has UDMA-66 IO to the Maxtor 80gb hard disk I am using for storage.

I moved the card to an older 400Mhz AMD K6-2 system which is slower, but it seems to play and record fine as well.

My guess is that the stutter problem has something to do with the various hard drives people are using...

Even though I don't have the stutter problem, all is not perfect.
The main problem I have is that the system sometimes hangs when I try to open and playback files. Probably 85% of the time it will open fine, but occasionally when I select a file it will just freeze. The cursor still moves around the desktop but I cannot get any menus to activate or do anything but power cycle.
post #23 of 26 Old 04-22-2001, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I spoke to quickly - After further testing ALL of the previous problems are still here including the funky graphic, the blank screens, the file to file lock-ups etc. Basically version 2.2 Beta is no better than 2.1 on my WinSE system. AccessDTV is looking better every day.

------------------
rharvey@at-com.com

rharvey@at-com.com
post #24 of 26 Old 04-23-2001, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Guys,

Sorry about the lack of communication. While I have moved on to a new challenging role, I still am helping Telemann get the HiPix properly launched and supported. The software effort with Recording was far bigger than Engineering ever imagined. My apologies to Cliff and all early adopters who swore at the install process and the frustrating glitches.

I do want to assure all HiPix owners that Telemann's engineering team is currently working on a new SW release that will provide more VCR functions that you have been asking for. Also, 1200 HiPix cards are now in production at ProChips in Korea with delivery estimated in 4 to 6 weeks.

It is good to see other HDTV products in the market like Hauppauge's and the AccessDTV as this makes all manufacturers work harder to make their own product better. I believe you can expect that from the folks at Telemann. I am sure they will notify their distributor when product is on the shelf in quantity so the HiPix can once more get into the hands of the HTPC community.

Regards,

Ray Newstead
post #25 of 26 Old 04-23-2001, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Ray:

Great to hear from you. I breathed a huge sigh of relief and hope at the news you posted.

Are you able to tell us who is the new Product Marketing Manager for HiPix? Is anyone from Telemann still committed to communicating in this forum? Or do you still have an official role with Telemann in addition to your new responsibilities at SMC?

Best of luck in your new position.

-yogaman
post #26 of 26 Old 05-24-2001, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Ray and/or Cliff:

Where are these 1200 cards going to be sold?

TIA
Doug
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page