post #1 of 5 Old 05-23-2001, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Win98se has a Start menu pick "Windows Update"

What are the minimum updates required/ desired for the most stable HTPC configuration?

I haven't been at Microsoft's Update site since over a year ago, and there were too many updates then. I suspect there's even more now. I also suspect that some of the updates/patches are a Good Thing (fix bugs or security holes) and many are a Bad Thing (add more security holes or make the system even more unstable).

Which Updates for Win98se are a Good Thing, and which are a Bad Thing for a best-in-class Win98se HTPC build?

My latest build:

Intel PIII 1GHz
Asus CUSL2C mobo
Crucial 256MB PC133 CAS2 RAM
CL GeForce2 Ultra
Guillemot GameTheater XP sound card
Intel 10/100 Ethernet
Antec 400W PS
Toshiba 1202 DVD ROM
IBM DeskStar 45GB 7200rpm
Maxtor/Promise ATA 100 PCI card
WinTV 401 card for dScaler
...and hand-sprayed black case http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-24-2001, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
bump
post #3 of 5 Old 05-24-2001, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi RGB:

___I have never had a Windows Update screw up an HTPC in my hands but I am pretty selective as to which update I install. I am discussing Windows Millennium below and not Win98 SE but you may want to consider Millennium just for the native recognized ATA100 controllers, OS updates, and the WDM sound driver fixes. As for Millennium, I will not install any Critical Updates Package or the latest System Restore update because I would kill them off anyway. About the only thing worth picking up for Windows Millennium currently is the Windows Media Player 7.1 update if you use it for anything, IE 5.5 SP1 update, MS Virtual machine, and the Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache Package. Any of the auto-scheduled type updates should be avoided IMO.

___Another item of note … The Intel I815E/EP chipsets include one of the best ATA100 controllers in existence today.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___ xcel@midwest.idsonline.com

------------------
New E-Mail address for the time being ... waynegerdes@earthlink.net
post #4 of 5 Old 05-24-2001, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

I agree xcel, regarding the ATA Storage driver with the intel boards. It is awesome, very solid and fast.

Using Win98SE, I have updated the ones you mentioned above, in addition to a couple others. I have also used the IE 5.5SP1 update.

Would there really be a benefit to updating to ME from 98SE? (which in my opinion is extremely solid for me). I use all the latest drivers for my hardware (Delta 24/96, actaully use 4.1.22.23 - because any newer version causes lock onto professional SPDIF setting, NVIDIA 6.5 for my ELSA GeforceII GTS card, Intel ATA 6.10, etc.) The only item you mention that I wonder about is the WDM drivers for ME... what exactly do they do and is it a benefit for HTPC?

Thanks Excel,

Brian

------------------
Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

Our Home Theater...
http://www.fatbulldog.com
Last updated 1/11/03
[Our new HT is in the works...]
post #5 of 5 Old 05-24-2001, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Brian:

___If you are satisfied with 98 SE, I will not suggest that you upgrade under just any circumstance. The main items Windows Millennium adds is a faster boot time, a much more robust ICS client, improved TCP/IP stack, WDM driver handling, and a lot less volume of downloads in terms of Windows Updates. I installed some of the Win Millennium beta’s to make sure it would work well as an HTPC OS and since the initial release and driver updates, I have not looked back to 98 SE. I do not recommend simply upgrading to Millennium but a clean format and install is always the best way to install this Consumer based MS OS for HTPC use.

___WDM’s are drivers that can be used with both Windows Millennium and Windows 2000. Support for STR and Hibernate should be much improved with this driver model vs. the older VXD’s. Win98 SE will not fully utilize WDM drivers from my reads but some functionality is already available under that older but still great Consumer based OS. I do not use the advanced power saving techniques due to their inability to work under each and every circumstance but it is something I will be looking forward to in the future when every piece of HW and Driver are compatible with these features.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___ xcel@midwest.idsonline.com

------------------
New E-Mail address for the time being ... waynegerdes@earthlink.net
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page