Update on WINTV-HD -- Recording in 2 Weeks! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 05-02-2001, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I popped of an e-mail to Peter Bauer at Hauppauge Computer Works last week. For those who do not know, Peter is a Product Manager at Hauppauge and has been known to swing by the forums from time to time.

I didn't get an immediate response since Peter was out of the office all last week. Apparently there was some big broadcasting trade show going in somewhere. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Today I received an informative response that I think will put a smile on the face of many Forum members who own one of the DTV products from Hauppauge.

Q:
When can users of the WinTV-HD expect to have updated drivers and
application software available for the various versions of Windows?

When will recording of DTV be available for the WinTV-HD and under which versions of Windows will recording be supported? It should be noted that Windows 2000 is becoming much more popular for use as a media playback OS based on the support for hardware, software, and the greater stability of the overall system.

A:
A new release of the software will be released in a week or two, with Full Recording and Playback.

Q:
Exactly how will HDTV be recorded by the WinTV-HD? ATSC Transport
stream? Down converted 480P?

A:
It will Record the full raw transport stream. We were demonstrating the transport stream playback feature in NAB. It worked great.

Q:
Will any information be released that will allow 3rd party applications to support the WinTV-HD using native API calls?

A:
Yes, But I don't know when.

Q:
When will the Hauppauge WinTV OCX be updated for use with the WinTV-HD?

A:
The software engineers are working on that now.

Q:
Will the WinTV-D continue to be supported by Hauppauge?

A:
Yes, it always will be supported.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-02-2001, 02:32 PM

Will the WinTV-D continue to be supported by Hauppauge?

I think a better question would be whether Hauppauge will continue to develop for WinTV-D. As is, the current software is still not quite ready for primetime, especially the recording and playback aspect.

Tomasz

post #3 of 18 Old 05-02-2001, 04:29 PM

Liked: 11
I'll second that on the WinTV-D (not ready for primetime).

I've tried everything to get the ftp update sequence to work and whenever I get done, I've lost the ability to tune the digital channels. It's been reported by others as well.

Please Hauppauge release a formal update that's supported for recording the raw data stream with the WinTV-D

Bob

------------------
WinME, PIII 866mhz, 815e Chipset, 256MB, Radeon AIW, WinTV-D & DirectX 8
post #4 of 18 Old 05-02-2001, 05:38 PM

Sorry if this is getting a little off topic, but...

While installing one of these cards for a friend we had the same problem (no picture on digital channels). The problem turned out to be the sound card. This may sound strange at first, but because WinTV-D uses the sound DMA channel to transfer the digital streams around any problem with the sound card will show up as a blank screen on the digital channels. Try changing the sound card and see if this helps.

Tomasz
post #5 of 18 Old 05-02-2001, 06:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Joe,

Thanks for the update. You made my day.

Dennis

Dennis
post #6 of 18 Old 05-02-2001, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

I want to second that - full ATSC recording is great, even if it does take more than two weeks. Much better news than what we hearing a couple of months ago about 480i only...
post #7 of 18 Old 05-03-2001, 05:58 AM

Liked: 11
JoeFloyd,

I wonder if a functioning method for playback will also be part of the recording update.

Bob

------------------
WinME, PIII 866mhz, 815e Chipset, 256MB, Radeon AIW, WinTV-D & DirectX 8
post #8 of 18 Old 05-03-2001, 01:06 PM

If this all turns out to be true you made my day also!!!
post #9 of 18 Old 05-03-2001, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Peter Bauer has provided reliable information in the past so I think these statements can be taken as coming from a knowledgeable source. However, software schedules are always difficult to predict, so it would not be surprising if the release date does get pushed back a little.

The major point of interest to me is that the WinTV-HD will support the recording and playback of the ATSC transport stream. It's not clear what set of features they will be adding in addition to basic record and playback. I would hope that pause, fast-forward, rewind features would be part of the overall feature set, but nothing specific was mentioned so we will have to wait and see.

The continued support for the WinTV-D is a plus since many of the forum members recently purchased that board when it was on sale at J&R for $50. What's not clear is if new software and drivers will continue to be released. In lieu of direct support from Hauppauge, we might see them release more technical information about the board so the third party development can supplement the work already performed by Hauppauge. That is something they have done in the past with older products, but there is no time line as to when they will release such information.

Overall, I think that the last few months have seen the market place for DTV boards begin to show some signs of real competition. Three PC HDTV cards are now on the market, and that can only be seen as a good thing. Of course, Teleman needs to start shipping more boards otherwise they will be left behind by the market place. At any rate, I made a point of mentioning the very positive feedback about the competing AccessDTV card here on the forum and invited Peter drop by the forum more often.

If others want to contact Peter you can reach him at the following e-mail address.

peterb@Hauppauge.com

post #10 of 18 Old 05-03-2001, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Knock wood. I am cautiously optimistic. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

- Tom

------------------
(This sentience has tree errors.)

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 18 Old 05-15-2001, 12:43 PM

Well it's coming up on 2 weeks really fast here, has anyone heard of anything? Or was this just a dream?

Toolman
post #12 of 18 Old 05-15-2001, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Peter seems to be a straight shooter, so I'm kind of wondering myself. Of course, software is one of those things that is impossible to predict with any real accuracy. It's not unreasonable for the release to take a week or two longer than expected.

The primary things I'm hoping for is improved Windows 2000 stability and of course HDTV recording!!! I've have a RAID system set up and waiting for when the software is finally released.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-15-2001, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

How long ago did we here a month until recording would be available? Wasn't that about 6 weeks ago?

Come on people. This two weeks is like the two weeks the repair guys kept saying in the "Money Pit".

If you have never seen the movie before, it is an extended metaphor for HTPC's in general.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------
The Mothership is now boarding.

The Mothership is now boarding.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-15-2001, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

I know we are all anxiously waiting for the new drivers but it has only been 13 days since Joe let us know the news. We can be patient a little longer.
post #15 of 18 Old 05-15-2001, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, I hate being the pessimist, but keep in mind we had unnofficial word from Hauppauge over a 6 weeks ago that recording would be available in a week or two. It also leaked out at the time that the recording capability was going to be low-res AVI capturing only. I think what happened is customers such as myself raised holy h*ll about this, and they decided to wait until they could get a full HD-recording release out. I just find it hard to believe they're going to have that in the next few days. Since they must not have even been close a month ago, or they wouldn't have considered the AVI low-res release. I think if it's possible to do reliable HD recording on the WinTV-HD, they'll eventually have the software to do it, but I will be surprised if it's in the immediate future, unless it's early beta quality.

Jeff
post #16 of 18 Old 05-24-2001, 11:26 AM

Time keeps on ticking ticking ticking into the future. I wish that hauppauge would update their progress on the drivers on semi-weekly basis. It wouldn't be hard to do, and it would keep me a little more happier with my purchase. This just isn't the case, it's been forever since there was an update, it would be nice to hear from the source, that they did this or did that. How am I do know they are even working on this damn card anymore, have they given up/thrown in the towel. What in the world is going on, open source the drivers or something, but just don't leave us hanging on a vine, my arms are tired..

Toolman
post #17 of 18 Old 05-24-2001, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've written another e-mail to Peter at Hauppauge asking him for an update on the WinTV-HD drivers and software. I also invited him to drop by the forum to answer questions or just chat about home theater, HTPC, whatever.

If his job is like the majority of jobs these days we can all safely assume that Peter is a busy man and has plenty of work to keep him occupied during the day, but it may be worth the effort for others to invite him over to the forum. To me the forum is one of best sources of free advertising that exists for home entertainment PC products. It seems like just about every month there is a magazine article or newspaper article that mentions the AVSforums as a source for excellent reviews and advice.
post #18 of 18 Old 05-25-2001, 03:05 AM

I agree with everyone about the WinTV-D. I run Windows 2000, and my computer used to be rock-stable before I installed this card. Now it bluescreens all the time. I wish Hauppage would actually release stable products. I suppose I've learned my lesson about TV cards.

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page