Hum at PC with output from Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-23-2001, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The hum is there when I'm just listening to the PC speakers and when I record receiver output and listen to the wave file. The Hum is NOT present when the source is the PC's CD drive.

I'm trying to record audio output from receiver on my PC. The receiver and the PC are in different rooms and I have the following connections:

RCA to Mini Stereo Y adapter connected to CDR Out on Rcvr
2 Female-to-Male Mini Stereo connectors (approx 30ft) from Y adapter to SB AWE64 Line In.

Previously I had similar connections to an old receiver that was in the same room, plugged in to the same power outlet, that used only 1 6 ft male-to-female mini stereo connector with no audible hum at the PC.

I suspect a ground problem and using the same power circuit is not a option.

Would a single, shielded mini stereo connector help?

Any other possible suggestions?

Would I be better off purchasing a new sound card capable of using the receivers digital output?

thanks...stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-23-2001, 09:02 PM

This sounds like a grounding problem. An optical (digital) connection to the receiver should fix the problem (if your receiver supports it).

Alternatively you can buy a cheap ground loop isolator from Radio Shack (Cat No 270-054). This connects to the audio cable between the PC and receiver. Mine has RCA connectors at one end (receiver line-in), a transformer-like thing in the middle, and a stereo mini-plug at the other end (PC - line out). It may slightly degrade the sound (I haven't noticed) and so the optical solution is probably the preferred choice (with the added bonus of better D/A conversion in the receiver than most sound cards can achieve).

Another option may be to ground everything using a common source. I tried this myself as a test without success, but I probably missed something.

You can sometimes fix one ground problem, only to cause another. I have a ground loop hum on video - but that's another story...
post #3 of 3 Old 05-25-2001, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion. I picked up the ground loop isolator last night and it works! You're right, it may degrade the sound some but I haven't really put it through it paces yet. The bottom line is, the HUM is gone.

thanks again...stan
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page