Encoding my own AC3 sound effect - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-24-2001, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Before I start a movie, I'd like to play a "countdown trailer", you know, 10-9-8... I couldn't find a .vob to do this, so I'm thinking about making my own simulation. I can use PowerPoint to make a simple countdown - but I don't want silence. I want to hear a projector-like sound. I found a .wav file which sounds close enough to a projector for my tastes.

Here's my question. How do I take this .wav file, and somehow encode it to a digital format, so that I only hear the sounds from my surrounds, and nothing from my front speakers? A more basic, related question - what sound file format will allow an AC3 signal to be passed over my SPDIF connector to my receiver? Is a .vob file the only thing that can contain an AC3 stream? If I knew what I wanted to convert the WAV to, that would definitely help my searching... I'm using an Audiophile 24/96 card, in case that matters.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

[This message has been edited by mflaster (edited 05-24-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-24-2001, 10:01 AM

Have a look at Sonic Foundry, http://www.sonicfoundry.com

They have two products, Vegas Audio LE, and Vegas Audio 2.0. 2.0 is the professional version, with a professional price of $299. The LE version is $69.97. But I can't tell you if the LE version is capable of recording 5.1 sound. I'm pretty sure that the $299 version has the capability.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-24-2001, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There are software AC3 Muxers that alow you to take wav files and make a compliant AC3 stream. I think they have DTS encoder as well. There might be trial version of the software.
http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/Products_3.htm

post #4 of 15 Old 05-24-2001, 10:11 AM

Yeah. That works. But the software is $995. The Sonic Foundry software is more economical.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-24-2001, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Whoops. I thought Mike was actually making a movie http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif then 995 bucks would fit into a movie budget.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-24-2001, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No, I'm not quite prepared to spend $995 for my sound effect... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Yes, I saw the Vegas Audio, and they have a 30 day trial, and to be honest, 30 days is probably enough to do my sound effect. But I think it's a 26 MB (!!!!!) download!!! That's a lot to make "click-click-click" in surround sound... So I wasn't sure if this was way-overkill for what I wanted.

Isn't MP3 an MPEG format, and can't MPEG encode AC3? In other words, could there be an mp3 file which would play back the sound the way I want? Or is it impossible to put DD5.1 in MP3?

Mike

post #7 of 15 Old 05-24-2001, 12:30 PM

He he he.

Well then, how about this. Here's the poor man's way to WOW your audience at the start of your movies. Download one of the trailers at the following URL:
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/do.../trailers.html

These are the trailers that they show in the theatre to impress you with the capabilities of DD5.1 sound. There are about 8 choices. They are VOB format, and can be played by either PowerDVD or WinDVD.

Enjoy!
post #8 of 15 Old 05-24-2001, 02:35 PM

Here's a free DTS encoding program:

Edit: Link deleted because it was cracked, not free.

Download Surcode CD-Pro DTS in the audio tools section.

I apologize for the inconvenience--all of the other downloads were shareware/free divx stuff. I guess that's what happens when we assume.

[This message has been edited by mcmillan (edited 05-24-2001).]
post #9 of 15 Old 05-24-2001, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

>Here's a free DTS encoding program:

It's not free.

>Download Surcode CD-Pro DTS in the audio tools section

And that one's no good as it only does 16/44.1kHz dts so it won't work unless you use the M-A 24/96.

You really need Surcode DVD Pro dts or Soft Encode 5.1 or Digigram Multichannel Encoder.

Expect a word from Wayne about that link!

T.

IntelInside?
CyrixInstead:-P
AuthenticAMD!

"From the depths of winter I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer..." a.c.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-24-2001, 08:37 PM

That was actually a cracked file on the website--I didn't know it till I just downloaded it myself to "prove" it was free. I'll take out the link in my above post so no one gets in any trouble about it.

On the other hand, you can download a free demo of Ulead Mediastudio, which will do the same thing. I think it's only functional for 30 days or something, but that should be plenty of time to try it out.

Brian
post #11 of 15 Old 05-24-2001, 09:09 PM

I have a feeling that if there's any end-user type program to do this, it'll be pretty pricey. I don't see how this could be done with paying the Dolby royalties. Hopefully someone will prove me wrong (there's always a first time http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif), as that sure would make for some cool additions to the HTPC.

-will

------------------

No man has enough luck to save himself from his fellow man
--Combustible Edison

No man has enough luck to save himself from his fellow man
--Combustible Edison
post #12 of 15 Old 05-24-2001, 11:53 PM

If you want it just out of rear speakers and could live with DPL decoding, find a program that can phase reverse just ONE of the stereo channels, and for the most part it will only come from the rears.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-25-2001, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by darth maul:
If you want it just out of rear speakers and could live with DPL decoding, find a program that can phase reverse just ONE of the stereo channels, and for the most part it will only come from the rears.
Yes, this was my backup plan, which I think I will try. Even if I *did* make an AC3 file, I would have to figure out how to play it. If I just make a stereo WAV/MP3 file, then ProLogic will do the rest.

Do you know specifically what it means to "phase reverse" a channel? I thought you shifted a channel out of phase, which I would think would mean delaying one channel by a very small amount.

Anyone know the details, or a sound editor program that would do it? (That's *really* free to use? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

Mike

post #14 of 15 Old 05-25-2001, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Phase reversing a channel would be to just 'invert' the sound data in that channel. This is the same as delaying the phase by 180 degrees.

Any good sound software should have this feature. Cool Edit, for example.

Andy K.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-25-2001, 09:48 PM

Another way to look at reversing the phase, would be where you normally hook something up with a + and a - signal, well to reverse the phase, you just swap those wires. This is how dipole speakers are wired, one side is out of phase with the other, or phase reversed.
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page