HiPix Bug Report: Need your feedback on 2.3 beta - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-21-2001, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, most of us have had several days to test out the new 2.3 beta release from Telemann. I wanted to compile a list of repeatable bugs to summarize back to Telemann for their software team. Please add your comments here, or send them directly to Telemann, or both. If you list them here, I will summarize back to Telemann.

Please provide configuration of your system, nature of the bug, and confirm that the bug is repeatable.

To start, here is my list:

1. Pause: Works perfectly on 1080i material, but has some issues on 480p and 720p. Sometimes on 480p or 720p material, the pause will cause the display to go into a 1 second 'loop' during playback. The system returns to normal when pause is pressed again.

2. Lock Up: I have noticed that I can lock up the application and my entire system if I send hot-key commands too quickly. For example, I have an application (Girder) which takes commands from my remote control via IR receiver (IRman receiver, not the one supplied by Telemann) and translates them into hot-key commands that are then sent to HiPix application. If I allow Girder to send commands too quickly (for example, sending channel up command faster than every 1/10th of a second), the entire system locks up. I have been able to avoid this issue by preventing Girder from ever sending more than 3 commands per second (200ms antirepeate delay). So this is not a big problem, and I can avoid it as an issue. However, I wanted to make Telemann aware of it anyway, since it does cause a complete lock up of the system requiring reboot.

3. Sluggish Remote Control: Several people have reported that the Remote Control included with the HiPix has become slow to respond to commands after installing the 2.3 release. I have not personally had this issue, since I do not use the included remote.

My system:
> Clean install of Win98SE
> Abit BE6-II version 2
> Abit integrated ATA-100 disabled in Bios
> 600 mhz celeron oc'd to 950 mhz
> - moved back to 600mhz for this testing
> 128 MB 133 mhz ram
> Elsa Geforce 2 gts 32 mb
> 10MB IDE (ATA-33) boot drive (Master, IDE 1)
> 45MB ATA-66 drive for recorded files (Slave IDE 1)
> Pioneer 8x DVD drive (Master, IDE 2)
> 60MB ATA-100 drive for recorded files (Slave, IDE 2)
> Cards:
> - AGP: Elsa Gladiac
> - PCI1: Networking card (generic 10/100)
> - PCI2: MX400 sound card
> - PCI3: open
> - PCI4: HiPix
> - PCI5/ISA1: open
> - ISA2: open

Bob Pearse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-21-2001, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Another pause bug: When I pause 1080i material, then unpause it, playback skips ahead a couple seconds.

I've had one lockup, not related to hotkeys; I fired up the app, hit the channel-down button on the control panel, and the UI went unresponsive. The app wasn't totally frozen since sound was playing back, but I had to reboot. I should say the lockup situation is *much* improved over previous versions.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-21-2001, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Not-yet-repeatable near-lockup:

After HiPix runs, then exits, sometimes no keyboard characters get recognized anymore. Once this was local to Windows and Internet Explorer, once to all applications. Mouse motions and clicks continue to work. Reboot fixes it.

-yogaman
post #4 of 17 Old 05-21-2001, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yogaman,

Interesting. I have had that same issue on my office PC for about a year. I do not have the HiPix on that system, but every few days the keyboard will become non-responsive. Never have figured out why. Mouse and everything else still works. I can solve by unplugging the keyboard and re-plugging it in. Very odd. Using PS/2 style keyboard connector.

Bob
post #5 of 17 Old 05-21-2001, 03:06 PM

I was watching a recorded show and went to fast forward and all I got for each key stroke was a beep and no action. I came out of full screen and it worked. I have not as of yet been able to repeat this. I am running 2.3 on a w2k machine

------------------
There is enough sadness in the world. Make someone smile today!

There is enough sadness in the world. Make someone smile today!
post #6 of 17 Old 05-22-2001, 07:01 PM

The new software (2.3)is very good. One thing I have noticed which I did not notice before is minor. I hear random low level clicks in the audio. Like a phonograph static click. I am looking hard to find faults. I had a narrow gray bar along the bottom of the screen one time.(Not repeatable)
The VCR controls make this a much more desirable product.
Good Job Telemann!
post #7 of 17 Old 05-24-2001, 08:47 AM

Here's a new bug/feature.

I am using the Pronto/Girder combo to control my HiPix. Last night, I was testing the buttons I added to do the hotkey switching from S-video, ATSC and File. I also have buttons defined for each of the channels that I receive so that I can go to a channel directly.

Switching back and forth between ATSC and S-vid worked fine every time. Switching from ATSC to file also worked. The problem I had was when switching from File back to ATSC.

What would happen is that it would switch back to the ATSC mode ok, but the Pronto channel buttons would not work. Instead, I got a Debug window to pop up.

This window has two areas on it. The first lets you enter an address and value to the TL880 Decoder. The second area lets you set an I2C address and value. There also is a button to turn on a Color Bar pattern.

After doing more testing I found that I could somewhat reliably get this window to pop up by doing the following;
* Go to file mode.
* Do a alt-a
* While the file control window is going away type an Enter on your keyboard.

Closing the window and typing another Enter will bring it back. The only way to make it not come back is to do a channel up/down. Once I have got it to go away, my Pronto channel buttons work correctly.

While this is neat, I would like to see a different key combination to activate it as it prevents me from using my Pronto as I would like.

Tom
post #8 of 17 Old 05-24-2001, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

While watching (and recording) NYPD Blue on Tuesday night, I heard three instances of stuttering. This was minor stuttering....lasting about a second or two. It was hardly noticeable to my guests, but I've heard the stuttering so often with prior software that it really stood out to me.

I've not watched the recorded file yet to see if it exists there, but the stuttering problem was at its worst before while watching something while it was recording. I had hoped the new software would correct this. It has at least vastly minimized it. Hopefully the final product will kill the stuttering once and for all.

Chris

[This message has been edited by R8der (edited 05-24-2001).]
post #9 of 17 Old 05-24-2001, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

"cannot intialize filter graph error"
This message was the bane of my existence for a week. As it turns out, it has little to do with the software, but the hardware.

The large size of the card makes it easy to be loosened from the pci slot it seems. Simply reseating might do the trick, but a few times it also required me to uninastall - reinstall the drivers. Since I got it working under 2.3, ive drilled a new hole for the pci mounting screw so that the board is more flush with the mobo. There was a slight misalignment between my mobo and the case that was making it easier for the hipix to slip.

Also R8der, have you tried moving the harddrive you're recording to a different ide channel. I was running my primary drive off of the promise on board ata100 controller. Since I moved to the "onboard" ide and not the promise controller, the stuttering stopped. This has been reported earlier by someone else and it made the difference from max headroom style to normalcy.

As far as the bug report on 2.3, ive been so happy with it that I haven't tried too hard to break it yet. A few times I have noted that when changing antenna inputs with my a/b switch from ota and cable, I would have to change channels for it to recognize the antenna switch. In some instances, it would not pick up the channels at all and required a restart of the app. From then on it works perfectly.

Im not sure if its been reported or is even part of the upgrade, but I no longer get the overlay on my hdtv of the telemann control panel. I have to look at my htpc to check what channel I'm on. Is this normal?
K

[This message has been edited by kyungkim (edited 05-24-2001).]
post #10 of 17 Old 05-24-2001, 02:59 PM

I set up a couple of recording sessions for the same evening. After watching the recorded Monday night CBS HD lineup I deleted the directory to clear up space on the same drive I had scheduled to record to later that evening.
When I turn the monitor on the following morning the is an error message on the screen saying that there is not enough space on the hard drive to record the shows I set up. There was enough space before I deleted the Monday shows. It looks to me like the software checks to see if the available space on the drive has changed since the recording session was created and won't record if the available space has changed. Even if there is more space available.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-24-2001, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Occasionally, when you start the app, a green line will appear at the top of the desktop when the video is intializing. This green line erases as you move windows over it... a minor anoyance.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-24-2001, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

I agree with Electricpotatoe, I get the same popping every little while on some ATSC channels which was never there before.

Otherwise, great improvements and stable.

Brian

------------------
Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

Our Home Theater...
http://www.fatbulldog.com
Last updated 1/11/03
[Our new HT is in the works...]
post #13 of 17 Old 05-24-2001, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vasim Pathan:
I tried installing the win2K drivers and software v2.3 on my system last night. I was able to install the drivers and HiPix DTV shows up in device manager without and question marks. I also installed the software but when I run the application I get a "cannot intialize filter graph error" and the program terminates. I uninstalled the older software and remove HiPix folder in the registry. I aslo deleted hardware and it found it upon restarting and asked for drivers. I pointed to the new drivers and it started install, but then asked for a ???.dll was not found. I pointed to the older .dll and it installed the HiPix, I installed version 2.3 software and still get this filter error. What am i doing wrong?

Did you uninstall the HiPix drivers and reboot to let the Hardware manager install the drivers, or did you open reinstall the drivers via the device manager?

The first time I installed the drivers I had the same issue. When I did a hardware detection install it worked without a problem.

post #14 of 17 Old 05-24-2001, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I am running Win98, and the software is very stable for me. My only problem is that certain stations in the DFW area have problems with varying signal strength - 5 to 30 and result in audio and video freezes, and dropouts.

My RCA DTC-100, fed from the same antenna shows none of these problems, good signal strength on all channels.

Vern Dias
post #15 of 17 Old 05-24-2001, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I tried installing the win2K drivers and software v2.3 on my system last night. I was able to install the drivers and HiPix DTV shows up in device manager without and question marks. I also installed the software but when I run the application I get a "cannot intialize filter graph error" and the program terminates. I uninstalled the older software and remove HiPix folder in the registry. I aslo deleted hardware and it found it upon restarting and asked for drivers. I pointed to the new drivers and it started install, but then asked for a ???.dll was not found. I pointed to the older .dll and it installed the HiPix, I installed version 2.3 software and still get this filter error. What am i doing wrong?

post #16 of 17 Old 05-25-2001, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
After watching the recorded Monday night CBS HD lineup I deleted the directory to clear up space on the same drive I had scheduled to record to later that evening.
When I turn the monitor on the following morning the is an error message on the screen saying that there is not enough space on the hard drive to record the shows I set up.
I had that happen all the time with the HiPix. Probably you just need to empty your recycle bin. Even though the files are in the RB they still take up space. When you delete the files from a directory you can use shift-del to delete the files without sending them to the RB.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-25-2001, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Ferguson:
Probably you just need to empty your recycle bin.
Nope, that's not the problem; I always empty my recycle bin and last night I saw this error too. I popped up the record dialog and it said I had zero minutes of recording time remaining. Then I restarted the HiPix app, hit record again, and it said I had 117 minutes remaining. Clearly it's not looking at the actual amount of free disk space everywhere it should, or there's some other bug that causes it to think it's out of space when it isn't.

A similar bug -- though I can see how one might argue that it's a feature -- is that you can't schedule more recordings than can fit on your disk all at once. If I know I'm going to watch and delete program 1 before program 2 comes on, I should be able to set both recordings up in advance. Instead I get a "sorry, not enough space for program 2" error and it won't set up the event.
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page