PowerDVD Problem When It loses Windows Focus - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-25-2001, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a simple but annoying PowerDVD problem that has to do with running it with a Pronto. The problem is that if another application (YxY) gets a command while PowerDVD is running, that application keeps the Windows focus, and PowerDVD does not get it back. This causes PowerDVD to stop accepting Pronto control commands unless I grab my keyboard and make the skin active. The specific use case is to send a hot key to YxY to activate an aspect ratio change. After I send that key to YxY, PowerDVD will no longer react to any other commands.

So, is there a keystroke that I can send PowerDVD to cause it to regain the Windows focus? If such a keystroke exists, I can incorporate it into my Pronto macro's and ensure that when I hit send PowerDVD a command it actually is able to listen and act upon the command.

Thanks,

Bernd

[This message has been edited by Bernd (edited 05-25-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-25-2001, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Bernd:

___Wouldn’t Alt–Tab meet your requirements?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___ xcel@midwest.idsonline.com

------------------
New E-Mail address for the time being ... waynegerdes@earthlink.net
post #3 of 7 Old 05-25-2001, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure if these will help at all, but they might work.

1) Have you considered using Girder ? Coupled with your Pronto, it makes for an EXTREMELY powerful remote control solution for your HTPC.

Girder Homepage

2) Maybe you can get PowerDVD to regain the focus by using a keyboard macro. What I did before I started using Girder is set up some shortcuts at the top of my Start button menu (above Programs and Settings). These shortcuts would correspond to an application, which would start up that application. So, I could create a shortcut named "1 PowerDVD", which would be a shortcut to the PowerDVD application. To execute it, I would simply type in [Windows-button] and then [1], and PowerDVD would fire up. Of course, this will only work if PowerDVD behaves in a manner that will support this. That behavior is : what happens when you've already got PowerDVD running, and you attempt to "re-start" it through the Windows Program menu. If it simply comes to the top, you're all set. If it spawns another copy of PowerDVD, this won't work.

Give those two a shot and let me know what happens.

[This message has been edited by Paul Simoneau (edited 05-25-2001).]
post #4 of 7 Old 05-25-2001, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I guess it depends upon whether or not YxY and PDVD are always loaded in the same sequence. I guess if I make sure that I always load YxY first and PDVD next, then if YxY has the focus an Alt-Tab should switch the focus to PDVD.

I'll try it and see if it works. However, as we have learned from Pronto programming, absolute control codes beat the tar out of relative control codes. I sure would like an absolute mechanism to have PDVD have the windows focus.

Cheers,

Bernd
post #5 of 7 Old 05-25-2001, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Bernd,

Girder can provide you with these exact, discrete behaviors. I really suggest that you go check it out. I'll admit that there's a very steep learning curve involved at the beginning, but it's well worth it.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-25-2001, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

YXY lets you set a hotkey for the action to "select managed application" or words to that effect, and one for "select YXY". I can't recall if this works under all OS's, but I think it works under Win98.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-25-2001, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Jim,

I am most honored to have the creator of YxY respond to my simple and stupid problem. Thanks for the tip. If it works it will definitely solve the problem. I am running W98.

Paul,

What you suggest sounds like the backup plan if the managed application hot key suggested by Jim fails to work for some reason.

Thanks again to both of you,

Cheers,

Bernd
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page