Which OS to use for HTPC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-26-2001, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm currently building a HTPC (1.3Ghz Athlon, Pioneer DVD115, fast HDD, U2W-SCSI+HDD, DV-capture card, Terratec 5.1 soundcard,Gforce-2,etc.)

But i'm unsure which OS to use:

Win2000 has more support for new busses/ATA100/etc. But can i set custom resolutions (e.g. HDTV for sony VW10ht 16:9 LCD projector) with it?

my goal: I want to play software DVD prog.scan at 72Hz in 16:9 with output to a LCD projector, with DD/DTS output.

Any suggestions would be very helpfull

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-26-2001, 08:19 AM

WIN 98 is the one or poss WIM ME
i use win 98 works perfectly win dvd 2000, dd/dts etc no problems and stable.
I beleive WIN DVD does not have drivers for dd/dts in WIN 2K
post #3 of 7 Old 05-26-2001, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spacecat:
I beleive WIN DVD does not have drivers for dd/dts in WIN 2K
I use WinDVD under win2kSP2 and gets DD / DTS output just fine. You just need the right card and drivers.

------------------
-Torgeir

-Torgeir
post #4 of 7 Old 05-26-2001, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

I went for Win2000 (i saw they had an update for the Nvideo Hz-change tool) and installed SP2.

Things seem to be working, except that i can't get my DVD-rom (Pioneer DVD115) in DMA-mode http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif
Acording to a DVDSPEED tool my DVD-rom must have a speed around 11.3x, but mine stays steady at 1.5x http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Did i miss anything? If i enable DMA (in powerdvd) my computer can't find a CD/DVD drive. I connected it using reqular IDE cable to Secundary IDE port.

post #5 of 7 Old 05-26-2001, 12:38 PM

Superogue,

In Win 2000 goto 'Control Panel\\System\\Hardware\\Device Manager\\IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers\\

Open (right click) the Properties screen for the Primary or Secondary IDE channel that your DVD is attached to and look in the Advanced Settings tab for these settings.

------------------
Tom Smith

[This message has been edited by tsmit32 (edited 05-26-2001).]

Tom Smith
post #6 of 7 Old 05-26-2001, 09:29 PM

Liked: 11
In Win ME I have every so now and then, a lock up or two/3 during a whole DVD watching. The pictures just freezes for a second and them continues. I have 256 mb ram but an "old" Asus K7M VIA chip motherboard. Maybe it is not Win ME alone butin combination w. the VIA CHIP and an AGP Geforce 2 GTS. I do not have those lock ups in Win2000
Ky

I prefer to use Win2000 but there is still no Dutch SP2 that you need for the backspeakers in any AC3 stream

What you see, will never be what you see
post #7 of 7 Old 05-26-2001, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Superogue:

___Out of the box, Millennium has the most support for new HW including the various PC busses you are thinking about. Windows 2000 can supply you with exactly what you want but you will not have the same flexibility with the various HW, drivers, and SW DVD players in particular. For simple DVD viewing in which you will not be running your HTPC for days on end while watching HDTV via accessDTV for example, Millennium will more than suffice.

___The next MS OS will have supposedly more Multimedia capabilities than even Millennium but by my reads of the HTPC’ers beta testing it, Millennium still has the upper hand for HTPC use. If you are a Power User of any kind, you simply must consider Windows 2000 but only after careful thought as to what the caveats are as well as your capabilities to maintain this excellent OS.

___For more on what Windows 2000 can and cannot do for you in an HTPC, please review or search the HT Computer forum for “Windows 2000â€. You will no doubt come up with 100’s of posts/threads in regards to its use in the HTPC as well as its quirks if you care to read about them as well.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___ xcel@midwest.idsonline.com

------------------
New E-Mail address for the time being ... waynegerdes@earthlink.net
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page