GigaByte 71XE4 with AMD 750 Chipset - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-25-2001, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'm thinking of upgrading my desktop pc (non htpc) to an AMD 1ghx machine, but I've heard of problems with mobo's that use the VIA chipset - even a work colleagues pc with this chipset freezes up on him for no apparent reason.

I'm thinking of going for the GigaByte 71XE4 mobo and that uses the AMD 750 chipset. Any issues with this board or chipset?

I may eventualy use this machine as my htpc if I upgrade the Voodoo 3.5tv graphics card to a Radeon since it will probably be of better quality than my current Mpact2 3DFusion htpc. If I do, I won't want it locking up or having issues with DVD or DScaler, which I don't currently suffer from.

TIA.

Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-25-2001, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have that very board and a Radeon and haven't had any problems. It's the most stable configuration I've ever had. Not a speed demon, though.

[This message has been edited by mcmillan (edited 05-25-2001).]
post #3 of 6 Old 05-25-2001, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Blimey mcmillan - that was one hellava quick reply!!

Well, I think you've helped make up my mind for my upgrade, so, my next decision is whether or not to modify my AT format full tower case to accept the atx mobo, or just bite the bullet and get a new case.

What power supply are you using? I'll need one if I modify the old case, or I'll have to make sure the new case has a capable supply already in it.

Thanks again.

GAry.

Quote:

post #4 of 6 Old 05-25-2001, 07:30 PM

I just have the generic 250 Watt PS that came with the case, which I understand to be on the very low end of acceptable wattage. It's never caused a problem, thankfully.

I just remembered my one problem with the mobo. It only has two IDE slots, which is plenty for an HTPC, but might be a problem for your desktop. Always PCI cards, though, I guess.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-25-2001, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Gary:

___I am not a large fan of the AMD/VIA solution for HTPC use for a variety of reasons but there are two things going for them nowadays. One is their stability from the MSI KT133 boards up through the KT133A’s from a variety of manufacturers are as stable as any Intel BX or I815E I have built. Freezing up will not happen with some of today’s VIA/AMD KT133A solutions for no reason from my experiences with them. The second item is the inexpensive cost and variety of MB’s available. No one can miss the T-Bird cost advantage vs. anything Intel can offer currently as well.

___The Gigabyte 71XE4 is already a somewhat outdated board with its ATA33/66 controllers and Irongate chipset. I would suggest that if you are looking for a T-Bird board that you wait a few weeks for the VIA 266 DDR solutions to mature and become available. If you instead want the most rock solid and least costly AMD/VIA board, take a look for the MSI K7T Pro 2A with native ATA100 controllers. Both the Gigabyte and the MSI are locked into the now outdated 100/200 MHz DDR FSB with a 1.2 GHz T-Bird being the max you can throw at them currently. You can OC a bit to 1.3 GHz on the MSI if you need to. As for the stability, the MSI was reportedly the most stable AMD solution available until the KT133A’s were released and having built two of the K7T Pro 2A’s, I can vouch for their stability as well. I have seen the MSI offering for as little as $80.00 on the web if you were interested in cost alone. If it were my money however, a KT133A based Asus A7V133 would be a good first choice with the KT266 boards in my sites to follow once the growing pains are overcome. The AMD chipsets although fast seem to garner no support from AMD themselves. If only AMD would jump in with both feet and compete in the chipset market as readily as they are in the CPU arena, we would all be much better off.

___Let me again restate my distrust of the AMD/VIA solution for HTPC uses. My sons ASUS A7V133 has proven its worth in a number of benches for both performance and stability as well as DVD playback using a variety of sound cards but when they (AMD/VIA) give you a problem, they are truly one of the most frustrating builds you will ever encounter.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___ xcel@midwest.idsonline.com

------------------
New E-Mail address for the time being ... waynegerdes@earthlink.net
post #6 of 6 Old 05-27-2001, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info guys - much appreciated.

I'm in no hurry at the moment, but the 71XE4 looked like a good board for the money. As it's for my desktop and not HTPC, I'm looking for good value, but no headaches.

I'll wait a couple of months and see how the new boards fair and make a decision then.

Gary.

Quote:

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page