Question for Andy K Regarding Archiving HD... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-27-2001, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the readme for the tools, Andy states bandwidth at 28 Mb/s, or 3.5 MB/s. A HiPix file is about 2.4 MB/s, so you're talking a ratio of rougly 70%. Using this ratio, an hour of video would take 42 minutes to record or play back, or an hour and a third/half for a 2 hour movie.

I don't think Andy has added error recovery or correction, both of which would increase this ratio. As I understand it, the speed at which recording or playback takes place is bounded on the upper end by the natural framerate inherent in the hardware. In other words, you probably couldn't make it any faster. Also because of this, playback and recording are at the same rate.

------------------
Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 05-27-2001).]

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-27-2001, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for your reply dschmelzer...seems kind of a kludgy approach in comparison to say the Panny STB/PV-HD1000 solution, but seeing what Panny PV-HD1000 and Tu-DST50/51s are going for on eBay these days I would say Andy K's solution is looking better and better. I'm wondering if anyone who is currently using a Panny combo coupled with an AccessDTV card has yet recorded a full length HBO or Showtime film and then used Andy's program to transfer it to D8 tape and then back to their hard drive?

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

HDTV Early Adopter
post #3 of 8 Old 05-27-2001, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

From what I've read, the Panny combo tapes are expensive, so that's something to consider as well. We are looking at about $300 for a low-end used compatible camcorder that is usable in other contexts, $4 tape/movie, and a very small tape profile for DVtools. I think you'll agree that all of this is quite reasonable by any measure.

For those prices and features, give me kludge. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Another thing to consider well down the line is that perhaps they will release an SDK for HiPix, AccessDTV, or WinTV-HD, allowing for integration of Andy's tools to remove the kludge.

Still another thing to consider is that this app could be integrated into the Linux DVB card tools fairly quickly.

------------------
Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 05-27-2001).]

Dan
post #4 of 8 Old 05-27-2001, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dschmelzer:
From what I've read, the Panny combo tapes are expensive, so that's something to consider as well. We are looking at about $300 for a low-end used compatible camcorder that is usable in other contexts, $4 tape/movie, and a very small tape profile for DVtools. I think you'll agree that all of this is quite reasonable by any measure.

For those prices and features, give me kludge. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dan,
We use standard S-VHS tapes on our Panny Combos so it's actually very cheap.

What has caught my interest in Dvtools is that this may be a way for me to archive stuff I have recorded with accessDTV.

I hate single points of failure and if my DST51 or HD1000 goes poof, I will be SOL.

You mentioned $300 camcorders. Since I have never owned a camcorder amd know zilch about them, can you recommend one that works with Dvtools?

Thanks,
Joe

post #5 of 8 Old 05-27-2001, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"We use standard S-VHS tapes on our Panny Combos so it's actually very cheap."

I stand corrected.

Re recommended camcorder, I'm not the best person to ask.

------------------
Dan

Dan
post #6 of 8 Old 05-27-2001, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm back http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Recommended cheap camcorder? Sony TRV-120 or TRV-130. So far, all Sony camcorders have worked with Dvtools.

Andy K.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-27-2001, 07:26 PM

If you have the choice between the TRV120 or TRV130, I would go with the TRV120. It is harder to find, but it has an analog-in port and does realtime analog-to-digital passthru/conversion. This can take any analog video, convert it on-the-fly to DV and pump it to firewire (or write it to D8 tape).

I'm quite disappointed that Sony stripped out alot of the trv120 features in the trv130. To get some of the trv120 features, you now have to buy up to the trv230.

I just got my trv120 at a great price from ebyweb.com (talk to Steve). Not affiliated with them, just had a good buying experience. They are not like the many crooked grey-market NY cam shops. I called other reputatable cam shops like BH, Cameraworld, Adorama and they no longer stock the trv120. see also resellerratings.com before you buy from a cam shop.

If you are serious about videography, the trv120 will probably be too entry-level. but it is great for Andy's gig and DV editing. the trv900 makes me drool.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-27-2001, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Andy K:
I've been following with great interest your development of the DVTools package for archiving digital video onto tape. Thanks for your efforts and for making the software freely available to the community.
I was wondering: how long would it take to archive a
typical 2 hour HD movie (~16 GBs) to a typical D8 tape? Conversely how long would it take to restore the 2 hour file to your hard drive?

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

HDTV Early Adopter
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page