I need to control the PC from 100 feet outside the house on the deck. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By thisgsx
  • 1 Post By ajhieb

post #1 of 12 Old 08-18-2017, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I need to control the PC from 100 feet outside the house on the deck.

I am looking for ideas on how to do this. The home theater is ran off of a PC, along with all of the music. He has a deck on the hill, about 100 feet away from his PC in his yard. He wants to be able to control the PC from up there. I am looking for ideas on how to achieve this. One idea so far is if there is an app he can load his music on maybe, then link a tablet to his PC to control the app, his music consists of actual music files, not itunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-18-2017, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Connect remotely with a laptop.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
vzphoneman likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-18-2017, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgsx View Post
Connect remotely with a laptop.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
The problem is he wants to keep the device in a locked cabinet up there, I guess he will need a cheap laptop. That is actually not a bad plan, I will pitch that, thanks.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-18-2017, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Chrome Remote Desktop?

You can load it onto a laptop or a phone and control the PC. It's not the easiest thing to navigate but it's not the worst thing I've ever used, either.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-18-2017, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 691
What front end is being used? Most have apps that can be installed on tablets or cell phones for remote control.
mrfattbill likes this.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-18-2017, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked: 2108
I recommend an airmax. Most of them have a range of 10-20km, and they won't break the bank too much.
https://www.ubnt.com/products/#airmax

Motu has Cat-5 AVB network audio interfaces. The 8a does 8in 8out, they also have 16 and 24 channel models.
http://motu.com/products/avb/8a
It supports windows and mac, and supports USB and thunderbolt too.

I have personally used these products, they work well.

You install the Motu software on the PC, use say JRiver or Foobar for the player.
Two wireless directional dishes or linked antenna's.

You can control the Motu via any browser, be it a phone, tablet, laptop or PC.
For controlling Jriver and Foobar, you'll probably need to use a Remote Desktop software, such as Chrome RD or TightVNC etc etc there are many.

You'll need a power source on the hill, be it a puresine genny or an underground 8awg power cable.

You'll of course need an amplifier, like a Emo A-800
https://emotiva.com/product/a-800/
and the needed TRS to RCA cables, which are cheaply found on monoprice, amazon, parts express or sweetwater.

If you aren't a fan of wireless, the Edgerouter supports 1Gbps fiber for $79 (you'll need two, plus the SFP fiber cable to go up the hill.)
https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x-sfp/

There are many ways of doing this.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-18-2017, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you don't want to dig a trench to put in cable, you will need to go the Wifi route. You will need either a wireless NIC on the computer or hook up a wifi access point on the wired network. Next, you need to use a directional antenna designed for wifi and point it to the edge of the hill. At the hill, you will need another wifi access point that will give you access to the network. Using directional antennas can only be used at one point, so the other wifi access point is required. You will need to directional antennas. This other wifi access point creates another wifi network. You can use wifi routers as access points. Read the manual for the wifi router how to do this. It's best to use dual-band wifi routers because you will be using some bandwidth when relaying information from one point and to another point. Select wifi routers that have at least two external antennas that can be removed. For the wifi router, both antenna ports usually don't send both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Also, they do not label what antenna port sends 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz, so you have to find out by trial and error. Use 2.4 GHz to connect the two networks. Then use the 5 GHz for hooking up the tablet or whatever. The attached picture shows a visual of the setup.

If the computer in the home theater room is running Plex, you can install the Plex app on your tablet or phone and use a Bluetooth speaker such as Fugoo. This is only if you want audio. For video, then you need to buy a TV or monitor and either Chromecast or Apple TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avsforum- I need to control the PC from 100 feet outside the house on the deck-20170818.gif
Views:	16
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	2269882  
post #8 of 12 Old 08-19-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 575
I'll throw out another possibility to solve the long distance connection problem, but I have no idea what it would take to make it functional; Install a VPN on the main network and use a cellphone internet connection to connect to that VPN. Then you might have a way to control with a standard app like PLEX, but my guess is you'd run in to configuration challenges. Maybe someone with more experience in the VPN mobile connections world can chime in.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-19-2017, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Use a Chromecast or something like a Yamaha MusicCast receiver. Rethink why you need the PC linked.

post #10 of 12 Old 08-23-2017, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by WikiWikiHonu View Post
I am looking for ideas on how to do this. The home theater is ran off of a PC, along with all of the music. He has a deck on the hill, about 100 feet away from his PC in his yard. He wants to be able to control the PC from up there. I am looking for ideas on how to achieve this. One idea so far is if there is an app he can load his music on maybe, then link a tablet to his PC to control the app, his music consists of actual music files, not itunes.
I control my HTPC from my deck using a tablet and an app called Media Center Control. I only use it to control music playback but it's capable of much more. My tablet connects over my wireless network, but if you have a phone or a tablet with 3G/4G access, I'm sure it can be made to work.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-23-2017, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Do you need to be able to control that PC from 100 feet, or just access what is on it? Will it just be just for music, or for video playback as well? What kind of control are you looking for? If you can describe the end result you are after, it may help. If, for instance, you just need to access music that is stored on that computer, a cheaper option might be a portable hard drive that you can easily have a copy of all your music in both locations. It might mean having to take it back to resync if you add to your library lots, but it would be simple and cheap.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-23-2017, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The control part is easy. Many ways to do it, but here is what I've done for years: I just use a tablet running the J River app to control J River back at the PC. Also loaded on the tablet is the app for my Marantz AVR, also back at the house with the PC. Easy and seamless remote control.

The communication part is not so easy at those distances. Some of the posters above probably have good advice. Also look at the Netgear Orbi, probably has the best wifi reach of any consumer level product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page