Software compressor/limiter - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-08-2017, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Software compressor/limiter

Is there such a thing for windows 7 that will compress/limit the audio on my HTPC which is the audio on the HDMI output. Does anything exist? Sick of all the different volume levels on internet content -- youtube etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-08-2017, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Sure. Most sound cards and even sound chipsets like C-Media have a "smart volume" or "night mode" setting which enables a compressor.

However, a more controllable version is available as a general-purpose audio filter as part of the LAV audio stuff from https://1f0.de/lav-audio/, which has a Dynamic Range Compressor, clipping protection, a "normalize matrix" setting which tries to smooth out volume changes, etc.

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT
post #3 of 7 Old 09-09-2017, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswiger View Post
Sure. Most sound cards and even sound chipsets like C-Media have a "smart volume" or "night mode" setting which enables a compressor.

However, a more controllable version is available as a general-purpose audio filter as part of the LAV audio stuff from https://1f0.de/lav-audio/, which has a Dynamic Range Compressor, clipping protection, a "normalize matrix" setting which tries to smooth out volume changes, etc.
Thanks -- I'll look at it. is it pretty user friendly? Do I have to download other software to get it to work? I'd be glad to pay for something as well -- just need basic compression/limiting, no bells and whistles eq etc.

Appreciate the suggestion.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-09-2017, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphcramdon View Post
Thanks -- I'll look at it. is it pretty user friendly? Do I have to download other software to get it to work? I'd be glad to pay for something as well -- just need basic compression/limiting, no bells and whistles eq etc.

Appreciate the suggestion.
Plus -- don't have a sound card. This is the HDMI output on my video card that i feed straight into my 5.1 receiver that I use.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-09-2017, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

just saw the setup on youtube -- anything else that doesn't require a a lot of setup? I just want to download and set two functions --

volume adjust low and limit high. maybe even something that looks like a hardware device in the gui.

I have breakaway audio but it only does stereo.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-10-2017, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 130
While LAV can do all sorts of stuff you might not care about, installing it and enabling just the compressor is easy.

With regard to using HDMI from a graphics card, if you go to your Sound Properties via the control panel or device manager, there should be an entry like "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" associated with your AVR or display. Select properties, go to enhancements tab, there might be a "Loudness Equalization" option provided by Microsoft. (It's definitely there under Win 10, anyway, but I recall it showing up back in Win 7 or Vista as well.)

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT
post #7 of 7 Old 09-14-2017, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3563 Post(s)
Liked: 1976
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page