5.1 surround sound through wireless HDMI - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-09-2017, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
5.1 surround sound through wireless HDMI

Greetings.

I have a PC with a Logitech Z906 surround sound speaker system and they work well together. I later bought a 55” Samsung HDTV (Model# UN55H6203AF). Due to the distance and the room structure, it very hard to drag HDMI cable from the study all the way to the living room, and I don’t want to setup another computer just for the TV, so I bought an iogear Wireless HDMI Digital Kit (Model# GW3DHDKIT). Everything works just fine. Sometimes interference could cause a bit of noise and frame drop, but for most of the time, I’m very happy with the result. I could watch videos and play games on the big screen with a wireless keyboard remote and a Bluetooth controller.

Recently I realized the Z906 is a waste in the teeny-tiny study. I have to keep the volume around 45% all the time so it doesn’t blow out my ear drum. I moved the speakers to the living room and hope to enjoy surround sound with the big screen.

The TV only has 2 internal stereo speakers, so the HDMI as a playback device has only stereo speaker as an option. My immediate thought is to somehow force 5.1 audio through HDMI and then split the audio signal out before it reach the TV, so I bought an audio splitter with HDMI input/output and optical/coaxial audio output.

My signal path is like this:

PC Nvidia GTX760 HDMI-->Wireless HDMI transmitter-->Wireless HDMI receiver-->HDMI audio extractor -->coaxial cable-->Z906

I also tried the method in the thread "EDID Overrides to solve bitstreaming issues for ATI 5xxx's". I tried all 4 Samsung EDID override with (*) mark. They all give me 5.1 speaker options in the HDMI playback setup, but none of them works for real. I only get sound coming out of the front L/R speakers.

In the end, I somewhat got it to work with potplayer. The software can encode audio into AC3/DTS format and then output the sound. I get surround sound with correct speaker orientation with this method. The only down sides are: 1, Audio will delay for a few seconds when first start playing the video or when pause and restart the playback, but otherwise fine throughout once it kicks in. I assume the software encoding caused the delay; 2, Playback volume cannot be controlled from the software or the computer. I have to adjust the Z906 console which involves another remote controller; 3, I have only stereo audio when playing games, no more sweet multichannel PCM.

So, my question is: what to try next?

I thought about buying an AVR, but don’t have the budget. Also, I’m not sure if the problem is with the wireless HDMI transmitter, or the HDMI audio extractor, or the Z906.

Could I force multichannel PCM through HDMI?

If so, would iogear wireless HDMI transmitter pass that through? The official website is not very clear. It just says ”Up to 5.1 channels of surround sound” and didn’t mention about what kind of format.

Does Z906 take multichannel PCM format from coaxial input, or does it have to be Dolby or DTS format? If it’s the later, should I get another device to transfer audio signal from coaxial to analog?

I’m not sure if my thoughts are on the right track. Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-09-2017, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The manual for Z906 said it supports AC-3 and DCA which means you have to use SPDIF. The Z906 won't be compatible with LPCM. If you can, move the computer to the TV room and sell your iogear Wireless HDMI Digital Kit. Then buy a mini computer for the study by using the money when you sold the iogear Wireless HDMI Digital Kit. If you can return the iogear Wireless HDMI Digital Kit, you will have to accept the restocking fee depending on the store you bought it from. If you have a STEAM account you can stream the game from your main computer that is in the TV room to the computer in the study, but you have to use the wired network and not a wireless network.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-10-2017, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Coax or optical will not be possible to pass multi-channel LPCM. Only 2-ch LPCM and AC3 or DTS 5.1. Wireless HDMI in this case is not your bottleneck.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-11-2017, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknurd View Post
The manual for Z906 said it supports AC-3 and DCA which means you have to use SPDIF. The Z906 won't be compatible with LPCM. If you can, move the computer to the TV room and sell your iogear Wireless HDMI Digital Kit. Then buy a mini computer for the study by using the money when you sold the iogear Wireless HDMI Digital Kit. If you can return the iogear Wireless HDMI Digital Kit, you will have to accept the restocking fee depending on the store you bought it from. If you have a STEAM account you can stream the game from your main computer that is in the TV room to the computer in the study, but you have to use the wired network and not a wireless network.

Thank you for the reply. I cannot move my main computer into the living room. I use it in the study too often. Getting a separate computer is also expensive and inconvenient for file and game sharing. I’d rather keep the current setup and get by with software encoded 5.1 surround sound for movies only.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-11-2017, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Coax or optical will not be possible to pass multi-channel LPCM. Only 2-ch LPCM and AC3 or DTS 5.1. Wireless HDMI in this case is not your bottleneck.
I see. If the wireless HDMI is not the bottleneck, and coaxial or optical cable cannot transmit multichannel LPCM, then I should use analog inputs on the Z906. I guess I need something like this:

and 3 of this:

I should set it between the Wireless HDMI receiver and the TV. The HDMI Digital Audio Converter should receive the multichannel LPCM through the wireless HDMI and convert it to multichannel analog signal, and then all I have to do is using RCA cable to merge 6 individual channels into 3 x 3.5mm jacks and plug them into Z906.

Am I right?
post #6 of 7 Old 09-11-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega8315 View Post
I see. If the wireless HDMI is not the bottleneck, and coaxial or optical cable cannot transmit multichannel LPCM, then I should use analog inputs on the Z906. I guess I need something like this:

I should set it between the Wireless HDMI receiver and the TV. The HDMI Digital Audio Converter should receive the multichannel LPCM through the wireless HDMI and convert it to multichannel analog signal, and then all I have to do is using RCA cable to merge 6 individual channels into 3 x 3.5mm jacks and plug them into Z906.

Am I right?
That should work. I was given a set of Logitech 5.1 speakers, so I bought one of those decoder/break-out boxes and it worked great, the only problem was the speaker set included a wired remote, but no wireless remote, and the wired remote wasn't long enough. With a wireless remote I'd still probably be using it in the bedroom.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-12-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Most motherboard have multichannel analog audio outs. Check if yours already have this.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
5.1 audio , wireless hdmi , z906

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page