S-Video from cable box to PC TV card - ASUS Digital VCR Whoa !? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-10-2017, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
S-Video from cable box to PC TV card - ASUS Digital VCR Whoa !?

Hi, need some advice. For years I watched regular TV on my computer via a long S-Video out from my cable box to my PC's TV Card. The audio was managed by digital out to a Marantz receiver. On my PC desktop I ran the ancient ASUS Digital VCR (v2.3). Both Audio and Video were in sync, All was good!
I recently upgraded to Windows 10 (from Windows 2007). No more ASUS DVR, (doesn't work - 'Illegal Division by Zero' ?). Now i'm using WinTV (v7.0.27323). Image is ok but there is a second or two of S-Video buffering that puts things out of sync with the audio (ie: The Problem!). The old ASUS DVR app did *not* have this problem. Haven't found an option to disable the buffering. Is there a different app that I might try?

My setup details:
Cable box: SA Explorer SDC8300 (all Ch Tuning, DVR, ..etc through this)
- S-Video out to Desktop PC (Long >15' cable)
- Digital Audio to Marantz Receiver
PC Desktop: HP Pavilion Elite HPE
PC TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250)
Receiver: Marantz SR7000

Thanks in advance.
-Ames
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-11-2017, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1377 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Downgrade from Windows 10 or spend some money on a modern solution.

post #3 of 4 Old 09-11-2017, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
I used a program called VirtualVCR to do s-video captures when I was converting all my VHS tapes to DVD many years ago, you could give it a shot. But I agree with bryan, probably time for a better solution as there are many much better options out there.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-12-2017, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 16
In WinTV, there is an option called SlipStream. You can try enabling that. You will have to reboot your computer after you enable that option.

You should have connected the cable box audio to the video capture card, so the video and audio are buffered or time-shifted. I never had the problem you are having when I was using a similar cable box ages ago although I was using analog output from the cable box to the sound card line-in and S-Video to the video capture card. I was using Linux back then. I used tvtime for watching and mplayer for recordings.

You can try MediaPortal and disable time-shifting for your card. I have used MediaPortal and it crashes when I scan analog channels and tuning analog channels. It should be OK for analog inputs like S-Video. Hauppauge writes poor drivers, so play cautiously when using MediaPortal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page