Issue with WMC live TV on new 4k TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-17-2017, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Issue with WMC live TV on new 4k TV

I just upgraded my 6 year old Samsung 8500 series 1080P TV to a new LG OLED55C7P 4K. So far everything looks more then great on the new screen except for OTA live TV through WMC. Before on the old Samsung the live TV was excellent with great picture, rich vivid colors and smooth motion. With the new 4K though im having issues with the picture quality being very grainy and also it appears that the picture is way to bright like the contrast is turned up to the max so the white is bleaching out the picture. Like i said EVERYTHING else that I watch on the new LG like movies, Blu-ray, and even Netflix from the web browser looks amazing and way better then the old display its just the live TV that is messed up.

Whats also strange is that the other screens in WMC are nice and sharp and appear to be displaying perfectly like the menus and setup screens. I have read up on this last night and tried to change some of the settings in WMC like setting the display resolution to 1080p 60hz and even 1080p 30 hz and I'm still just not getting a decent picture. I understand that the picture will be up converted from the display but that does not explain why the image is also washed out?

Ive been through all the menus in WMC and i see no way to change the brightness, contrast or any other display option just for WMC alone. Are there separate setting that i'm overlooking in WMC that pertain only to the display of WMC and wont affect the rest of the computers display?

I also installed lav filters since it was brought up in a few other articles i read but i really didn't notice any difference from it on any medium?

Please anyone who has had this issue and worked through it please let me know how to get a decent picture in WMC live TV on a 4k display. Thank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-17-2017, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 418
If you have the washed out color, it is likely the color space doesn't match up between PC and TV. PCs defaults to PC full range video while consumer TVs defaults to limited range video spec. You must change either PC or TV to make both match up. It is probably easier on your Samsung TV to change to full range via some settings and see if it resolves your color issue.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-17-2017, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
If you have the washed out color, it is likely the color space doesn't match up between PC and TV. PCs defaults to PC full range video while consumer TVs defaults to limited range video spec. You must change either PC or TV to make both match up. It is probably easier on your Samsung TV to change to full range via some settings and see if it resolves your color issue.
Thanks for the reply but im only having this washout color in WMC live tv, when im not in WMC the colors and all other display imagery is spot on. So this is only happening in WMC live tv.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-17-2017, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Actually, WMC defaults to limited range unless you use a registry key hack to force it to full range. Most other applications are full range. So, if your TV is set to full range where 0 means black, 255 means full white, WMC will output 16 as black and 235 as white. This results in washed out color. You can either set TV to limited range but that will cause other apps to have black crush and white clipping. Or you can do the registry hack to force WMC to full range mode (google it, it is a well known hack).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page