What to look for in a 4K HTPC Build? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 50
What to look for in a 4K HTPC Build?

Hi all,

I've been reading around, and see a lot of jargons thrown around for a 4K HTPC build.
60Hz, 120Hz, madVR, HDR10 comptaible, etc etc.
So I am not asking to explain everything to me.. but I'd like to have to build a fantastic 4K HTPC that can keep up with the new upcoming media requirements for the next 5 years that be great.
I have a SilverStone CW02 media case, and this can accept longest GPU there is including the tallest CPU cooling tower.
This is going to be my 3rd HTPC build, the previous one (intel 2600K served me a good 5 years).
I am not set on intel or amd, however as this is a pure Media server and i'd like it to have some extra power cos i do run resource intensive applications.. what are your recommendations for a CPU, GPU, Mobo.
I can spend upto 1000 usd +/-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1723 Post(s)
Liked: 539
My opinion is that it would be impossible to predict the future of media 5 years out and come up with something that will work with whatever gets released later.

Everyone here knows my suggestion, put that existing box on the network somewhere and make it the server for a shiny new NVidia Shield.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 649
The next generation of Intel CPUs (roughly 40% boost) are about to drop which I have heard will require yet to be released motherboards. So probably worth a wait there. Of course AMD's new stuff has just been rolled out although they are more oriented towards workstation processing than gaming, video, etc.

NVIDIA has stated their current cards are it for a while which to a large degree is all you have to be concerned about unless you are going for UHD disc playback or other protected playback. In most cases if you grab the most expensive video card you can you will get the biggest bang for the buck...

post #4 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
The next generation of Intel CPUs (roughly 40% boost) are about to drop which I have heard will require yet to be released motherboards. So probably worth a wait there. Of course AMD's new stuff has just been rolled out although they are more oriented towards workstation processing than gaming, video, etc.

NVIDIA has stated their current cards are it for a while which to a large degree is all you have to be concerned about unless you are going for UHD disc playback or other protected playback. In most cases if you grab the most expensive video card you can you will get the biggest bang for the buck...
I assume this isn't one of those cases: NVIDIA Quadro GP100

Also, I don't think the Ryzen chips have an iGPU so the AMD offerings would be an add-in video card.

post #5 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I assume this isn't one of those cases: NVIDIA Quadro GP100
My record is $3,500 (or was it $4,500) for a video card...

Quote:
Also, I don't think the Ryzen chips have an iGPU so the AMD offerings would be an add-in video card.
AMD's new low-end will implement video. Ryzen not so much. I happen to really like the 1700. It's low power and overclocks easily to the 1800x. Also includes a decent cooler although it could be quieter.

Recently threw two together. You can kill the light show or spend a lifetime configuring the RGB...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	2289160   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3a.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	2289162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fractal.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	2289182  

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |

Last edited by Charles R; 09-27-2017 at 07:27 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
My record is $3,500 (or was it $4,500) for a video card...

AMD's new low-end will implement video. Ryzen not so much. I happen to really like the 1700. It's low power and overclocks easily to the 1800x. Also includes a decent cooler although it could be quieter.

Recently threw two together. You can kill the light show or spend a lifetime configuring the RGB...
I built an unRAID server with a Ryzen 1700. I haven't overclocked it yet. It works well transcoding Plex remote streams.

post #7 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I built an unRAID server with a Ryzen 1700. I haven't overclocked it yet. It works well transcoding Plex remote streams.
Based on the motherboard I have had more (difficult) issues with the VRM... keeping it cool. Several have really small and or bad heatsinks including the ITX build shown above.

Have you heard about the Ryzen compile bug? I had to have two of mine swapped. I posted about such in the Linux forum.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |

Last edited by Charles R; 09-27-2017 at 07:33 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post
Hi all,

I've been reading around, and see a lot of jargons thrown around for a 4K HTPC build.
60Hz, 120Hz, madVR, HDR10 comptaible, etc etc.
So I am not asking to explain everything to me.. but I'd like to have to build a fantastic 4K HTPC that can keep up with the new upcoming media requirements for the next 5 years that be great.
I have a SilverStone CW02 media case, and this can accept longest GPU there is including the tallest CPU cooling tower.
This is going to be my 3rd HTPC build, the previous one (intel 2600K served me a good 5 years).
I am not set on intel or amd, however as this is a pure Media server and i'd like it to have some extra power cos i do run resource intensive applications.. what are your recommendations for a CPU, GPU, Mobo.
I can spend upto 1000 usd +/-
The following picture shows an example what is needed for 4K Blu-ray and 4K Netflix. Amazon Prime Video with 4K is not supported at this time. Intel will be introducing their 8th generation that adds two more cores compared to the previous generation on October 5, 2017. The 8th generation processors require a 300 series chipset motherboard even though the socket is still LGA1151.

Quote:
Based on the motherboard I have had more (difficult) issues with the VRM... keeping it cool. Several have really small and or bad heatsinks including the ITX build shown above.

Have you heard about the Ryzen compile bug? I had to have two of mine swapped. I posted about such in the Linux forum.
Read article https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AGESA-1.0.0.6b-Update

All motherboards are designed with an active CPU heatsink that blows down through the heatsink and exits to cool off nearby components. Water cooling setups don't do this. Using an opened case makes a neutral air pressure instead of the prefer positive air pressure. In your case, you will need to force air on the motherboard to cool properly. It's best to get a proper case, so you can do positive air pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UHD-HTPC-20170830.png
Views:	40
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	2289248  
post #9 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknurd View Post
Water cooling setups don't do this. Using an opened case makes a neutral air pressure instead of the prefer positive air pressure. In your case, you will need to force air on the motherboard to cool properly. It's best to get a proper case, so you can do positive air pressure.
You are a little confused as the motherboard in question (universally reviewed as such) isn't being used in an open air case nor is it water cooled.

Nor did the BIOS update fix the Ryzen bug (tested myself along with x others like the third, eight and so on comment...)

Last edited by Charles R; 09-27-2017 at 10:22 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-28-2017, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
You are a little confused as the motherboard in question (universally reviewed as such) isn't being used in an open air case nor is it water cooled.

Nor did the BIOS update fix the Ryzen bug (tested myself along with x others like the third, eight and so on comment...)
Why you posted the first and second picture when the third picture is the AMD Ryzen setup.

AMD said they know what processors have the problem. Contact AMD for processor replacements. If you gave AMD many chances to fix the issue, get a refund and go with either Threadripper or Intel.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-29-2017, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Thanks for your replies guys. So I was able to snag a PNY GTX 1080 TI Founders Edition Card for 575 USD.
Hope its a good deal and a good card.
Does the CPU have to be a very high end one as well for a 4K HTPC setup.. yes ideally i'd like it to be VR capable Gaming PC as well. However gaming will be 10% vs 90% Movies/media.
I can wait for a while if required if a good CPU is about to be launched. Pls guide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page