4K: HTPC vs Android streaming box? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By bryansj
  • 2 Post By holyindian
  • 1 Post By bryansj
  • 1 Post By madbrain

post #1 of 17 Old 09-26-2017, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
4K: HTPC vs Android streaming box?

On the basis of cost and usability, what am I better off with? I'm basically just looking for a device to play local and streaming (Amazon & Netflix) 4K content. I don't need a disk player, a gaming machine, a file server or something to rip DVDs. I already have several different PCs to choose from (Lenovo M92p or Dell Optiplex 3020 low profile desktop, 3-4 years old, each with an i5 CPU, or a 2010 Mac Pro). I have plenty of memory for all, plus a USB IR receiver, and there is an Ethernet hub behind the entertainment unit, so I don't even need WiFi. Trouble is, none of these have a 4K video card, and as near as I can figure, it will cost more to outfit any of them with an HDMI 2.0 card (it may actually not even be available for the Mac) than it would for me to purchase a complete 4K Android streaming box. HDMI connection will be to an entry level Pioneer Elite 4K receiver to a 65" Toshiba 4K screen (I may also want to outfit a second system in another room, but I'll probably need dual HDMI outputs, since I have a second 4K screen, but the receiver is only compatible with HDMI 1.3).

Added to this, I'd like control to be fairly simple - I'll be using a Logitech Harmony hub. I want my family to beable to just push the Netflix (or whatever) button and have the remote be able to do everything so that they're automatically brought to the Netflix home screen.

"When everyone's out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking"
-- Dr. Johnny Fever

Last edited by swechsler; 09-26-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-26-2017, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 175
There are Android TV Boxes which mainly run Kodi, and there are official Android TV Boxes which run the Android TV OS such as the Nvidia Shield and the Xaomi Mi Box. The Android TV OS can be found on TV displays from Sony, Phillips, and Sharp.
Those cheap Android Boxes are likely to run a variation of the Mobile Android OS found on Phones and Tablets. This is not the case with Android TV.

https://www.android.com/tv/

The "Kodi" Boxes are more than likely not to have the Major Streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu. Android TV devices will run these apps, some in 4K/HDR and Dolby Atmos if available.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #3 of 17 Old 09-26-2017, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for that response, and it's a good issue that I'd overlooked (it changes the price calculus somewhat, but some Android TV boxes are still on par, price-wise, with the cost of an appropriate video card). On the other hand, it seems like a Roku Premier+ would do everything I need as well. Am I overthinking this? For simple media consumption as I described above, is an HTPC overkill?

"When everyone's out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking"
-- Dr. Johnny Fever

post #4 of 17 Old 09-26-2017, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Roku for the win.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-26-2017, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 645
This is easy to answer if you want 4k Amazon Prime. I PC doesn't stream Amazon in 4k.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...FC38850C2276A2

To get Netflix 4k requires the right combination of video card and Edge (or the app).

post #6 of 17 Old 09-26-2017, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTV View Post
Roku for the win.
For the lose of you want to bitstream HD audio.

post #7 of 17 Old 09-27-2017, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTV View Post
Roku for the win.
Yuck, I couldn't sell my Roku fast enough. Even the wife hated it.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-28-2017, 01:39 PM

Liked: 15
My plan for local content is Amazon FireTV (Gen2) with Kodi loaded. All content is on my desktop system in another room and accessible over the home network via CAT-6A or WIFI-AC. The older gen FireTV supported Kodi so I expect the just announced version will also do so.

Of course FireTV supports streaming many sources including Netflix

Mitsubishi WD-65736
Xfinity X1
Denon X4300H
KEF-RDM2 x4, KEF-100 Center
Velodyne HGS-10
post #9 of 17 Old 09-29-2017, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
For the lose of you want to bitstream HD audio.
Is there any streaming device which does this?
post #10 of 17 Old 09-29-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post
Nvidia Shield.
mikela and lockdown571 like this.

post #11 of 17 Old 09-29-2017, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Just build yourself an HTPC, sky's the limit, at a later time you can convert it into a Headless server, and attach a NAS/or some kind of storage to it and store/copy your media locally and stream it over your headless server using Kodi. You can build yourself a HTPC that can handle HDR and madVR. You wont get all that on any streaming box atm.
mikela and brazen1 like this.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-30-2017, 07:38 PM
G--

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post
Just build yourself an HTPC, sky's the limit, at a later time you can convert it into a Headless server, and attach a NAS/or some kind of storage to it and store/copy your media locally and stream it over your headless server using Kodi. You can build yourself a HTPC that can handle HDR and madVR. You wont get all that on any streaming box atm.
The Shield replaced my HTPC years ago and I haven't looked back. The interface, streaming, and being a chromecast target, put it way over the top. Only, minus is the DVR software either built in or HDHR DVR don't stand up to good old Media Center, but there usable.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-01-2017, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-- View Post
The Shield replaced my HTPC years ago and I haven't looked back. The interface, streaming, and being a chromecast target, put it way over the top. Only, minus is the DVR software either built in or HDHR DVR don't stand up to good old Media Center, but there usable.
Well, you brought the shield, you had reasons to replace your htpc, if it works for you good. But most of us here prefer HTPC's. People love their Roku players as well. An well built HTPC cannot be replaced in terms of features and usability.
post #14 of 17 Old 10-01-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, you brought the shield, you had reasons to replace your htpc, if it works for you good. But most of us here prefer HTPC's. People love their Roku players as well. An well built HTPC cannot be replaced in terms of features and usability.
Well, the OP wanted to stream Amazon Prime in 4K. A HTPC isn't going to help him with that.
dan4081 likes this.

post #15 of 17 Old 10-02-2017, 09:37 PM
G--

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
The whole point of HTPC's for me has always been the pursuit of 1 box. HTPC isn't and the Shield really isn't either since it doesn't have a bd or uhd drive. But the streaming, interface, and acting as chromecast target is more important in my usage.
post #16 of 17 Old 10-04-2017, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Sure they can. I replaced all of my HTPCs with Shields in the main rooms, and Nexus Players in the guest rooms, and I do not miss my HTPCs at all.

For me, the Shield ended my pursuit for "one box". I almost never play my physical media since I would rather rip it to my sever, so I don't need a BD player. In the rare case that I do, I use my PS3 which is plugged into the TV anyway.

Last edited by TornadoTJ; 10-04-2017 at 07:42 AM.
post #17 of 17 Old 10-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post
I believe Chromecast ultra does for Google play and Vudu, though I only had it a few days. Certainly got multi-channel audio, not sure if it was bitstreamed, will have to double check.

I think my Sony UBP-X800 will do it too . Haven't done any streaming with it, only UHD BR, and it bitstreams those just fine, including Atmos, and even DSD from SACDs.
mikela likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page