Home Network Help - throughput speed, Plex - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-29-2017, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Home Network Help - throughput speed, Plex

AVS Forum,

I have a HTPC running plex server and PlayOn TV. I have a TP-Link SafeStream TL-R600VPN Gigabit Broadband router that is running cat6 cable to the HTPC and to a Roku premier+ connected to my TV.
The HTPC is a i7 core processor.

So, here is the problem, my video playing through Roku (pulling from the computer) pauses every now and then. It may pause for 2 seconds, 5 seconds, and then start right back. I checked my HTPC using the task manager and saw the throughput bounces around 6.5 Mbps and 4.5 Mbps. I really don't understand why this wouldn't be much higher.

I am decent with tech, but I don't really know about network parameters that would speed this up. Anything I am doing wrong or anything I should checking - or is this just the way it is?

Overall internet is fine (but this is all local). Any help is appreciated.

SDavis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-29-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdavis1004 View Post
AVS Forum,

I have a HTPC running plex server and PlayOn TV. I have a TP-Link SafeStream TL-R600VPN Gigabit Broadband router that is running cat6 cable to the HTPC and to a Roku premier+ connected to my TV.
The HTPC is a i7 core processor.

So, here is the problem, my video playing through Roku (pulling from the computer) pauses every now and then. It may pause for 2 seconds, 5 seconds, and then start right back. I checked my HTPC using the task manager and saw the throughput bounces around 6.5 Mbps and 4.5 Mbps. I really don't understand why this wouldn't be much higher.

I am decent with tech, but I don't really know about network parameters that would speed this up. Anything I am doing wrong or anything I should checking - or is this just the way it is?

Overall internet is fine (but this is all local). Any help is appreciated.

SDavis
It could be that your plex server is transcoding video on the fly and simply can't keep up.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 09-29-2017, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I agree with foxbat, your processor could have a hard time transcoding the video to be compatible with Roku. In the Task Manager, check for processor usage for plex and other programs. If Plex has an option to limit a number of streams that it transcodes, limit it to one for starters. Then increase this number until processor usage is 70% to 80%. If you want more conservative such as doing Windows Updates, set the limit to 50% of processor usage.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-30-2017, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
It could be that your plex server is transcoding video on the fly and simply can't keep up.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
The processor is being used less than 10%. So any other guesses?
Does anyone else know what their upload speed is? It could be that this is correct (upload speed that is) and I need to be looking at something else.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-30-2017, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1729 Post(s)
Liked: 1574
Quote:
So, here is the problem, my video playing through Roku (pulling from the computer) pauses every now and then. It may pause for 2 seconds, 5 seconds, and then start right back.
You might want to check the HDD containing the transcoder temp directory to make sure it isn't getting full or getting heavy use by other programs. If the transcoder directory is OK try pausing playback for about 30 seconds when you see it stalling, then resume playing again. If it plays normally for a while after doing that it might help to increase the transcoder throttle buffer time.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-04-2017, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1723 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
I checked my HTPC using the task manager and saw the throughput bounces around 6.5 Mbps and 4.5 Mbps. I really don't understand why this wouldn't be much higher.
Because that was all that's needed by that stream. You won't see 100mbps of traffic for a video stream.

FYI: I had this problem after building my second HTPC. I specifically picked a motherboard with an Intel NIC, but turns out their V-series NICs have a bug that causes this exact issue. I put in a cheap Realtek NIC and the problem went away. As far as I know, this problem still isn't resolved, and this was several years ago, at least 8 IIRC.

I have also seen this happen when a hard drive is on the brink of dying.

Last edited by TornadoTJ; 10-04-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
ethernet , htpc , playontv , plex , throughput

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page